Best way to get upgrade??

I'm new to cruising and thank all of you for your expertise and wisdom!! Oh and the reviews and pics are fabulous!

Please, tell me, what is the best way to get an upgrade or some OBC? Can I ask my TA? I like to get the most fo rmy money as anyone would so any insider info will help! Thanks in advance!!

We are also new to cruising, but cruising in August. I am obssessed at times about making sure I got the best price, so every few days or so I'd check both my airline cost and the cruise prices. For the cruises, I checked various cruise sites (not Carnival) to see what the prices were doing. Low and behold, about 2 weeks ago a couple of ths sites had a resident rate (which I didn't get when I booked originally). I called Carnival and they agreed so we got OBC for the difference in cost. I would say just keep checking the web sites!!

Please, tell me, what is the best way to get an upgrade or some OBC?
Pay for one:p Seriously, there isn't any trick that I'm aware of otherwise we'd all be doing it. Book the least expensive cabin you can live with and hope for a visit from the elusive upgrade fairy.

We are also new to cruising, but cruising in August. I am obssessed at times about making sure I got the best price, so every few days or so I'd check both my airline cost and the cruise prices. For the cruises, I checked various cruise sites (not Carnival) to see what the prices were doing. Low and behold, about 2 weeks ago a couple of ths sites had a resident rate (which I didn't get when I booked originally). I called Carnival and they agreed so we got OBC for the difference in cost. I would say just keep checking the web sites!!

I check my Travel site every day for price drops. Sometimes they are up for such a short while and I don't want to lose out. :o

Like Mr. Duck stated, it doesn't happen. The best thing to do is to go to the Carnival Website and look for the link that adds you to their email list. They send out emails with Promos, some offer the 2 cabin upgrade. So you book a Cat. 7a and you end up with a Cat. 8B balcony.

Fred

As for OBC and Upgrades, Someone posted this question today: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=15524817#post15524817

OBC can come in many ways... one way is for example you booked your Cat.8a balcony for 800.00 and later the price dropped to 600.00, you can call then and ask for a refund of 200.00 and they will give you OBC instead. Alot of times instead of giving you the 200.00 OBC, they will give you an upgrade, maybe to a Suite but who knows.

Another way of getting OBC, most people on here have cruised many times now and on some cruises if they had a problem with their cabin or they had to miss a port due to bad weather, they can get OBC of lets say 50.00 towards their next cruise.

Booking a new cruise while onboard a ship will get you 100.00 OBC, not sure if they still do that today.

If you book with a Private Travel Agent, they might offer you 100.00 OBC to land your business.

Same as if you book with a large group, they might give you 100.00 OBC as one of the perks for booking with that group.

Lastly, having 100 shares of Carnival Stocks will give you some OBC.

The best way to get an upgrade is to pay for the better cabin yourself. However, sometimes there are special offers of upgrades when you purchase the cabin. For example pay for an 8A and get an 8C.

As for OBC, sometimes agents give that out. Sometimes it is a special offered when you purchase the cabin. I once received an OBC of $151 as part of my original booking, and I didn't even know it was being offered (neither did my agent). Then on top of that my agent gave me an additional $100 OBC. So basically I got my tips and Internet use for free.

The best way would be to pay for one.

Yesterday I booked a balcony GTY on Carnival Legend for Sept 7. I saved over 100.00 per person doing this.

Today I looked at my sailing information on the carnival website and my room assignment is a CAT 8I on deck 8.

Am I happy? Sure. If I had actually paid for an 8I it would have cost me 300.00 per person more than booking the GTY.

Would I have been happy with an 8A? Absolutely.

I don't expect upgrades, but if I get one I am happy. If not I am happy.

So if you really really want one then pay for it. Otherwise wait on a call from lady luck!

Either way be happy you are on one of the best vacations you will ever have!

P.S.

As far as on board credits, there are some travel agents and or travel sites that will offer OBC at booking. You have to do your home work on that as I am not allowed to say those names I don't think.

Archived