Athens On Our Own-Princess Excursion

Chesie

Hi everyone,

Has anyone done the Athens on your own through Princess? From what it looks like on the website it's a bus transfer back and forth with some "on the move" city sights viewing.

States 9:30 - 5. That would be leave ship at 9:30 and be back on ship at 5??

How long does it take from port to the time you are dropped off for the "on your own" time.

Where do they drop/pickup?

Any info to enlighten me would be great appreciated!!

Thank you :D

Chesie

Hi everyone,

Has anyone done the Athens on your own through Princess? From what it looks like on the website it's a bus transfer back and forth with some "on the move" city sights viewing.

States 9:30 - 5. That would be leave ship at 9:30 and be back on ship at 5??

How long does it take from port to the time you are dropped off for the "on your own" time.

Where do they drop/pickup?

Any info to enlighten me would be great appreciated!!

Thank you :D

Chesie

Most excursions are just exactly like written - thus leave ship at 9:30 and return to ship at 5.

The excursions tells you where you will be dropped off "central Athens at Syntagma Square". They usually pick you up at the same spot but they will tell you before you get off the bus where and when you need to return to the bus.

It is about 7 miles from Piraeus into Athens. Depends on the traffic how long it will take.

Takes about 10-15 min to walk to the Pireaus subway stop, but from there its only a few Euro into Athens. You can stop close to the Parthenon or continue into center city and Syntigma Square. If you are walking mobile, consider this over the ship's tour.

Takes about 10-15 min to walk to the Pireaus subway stop, but from there its only a few Euro into Athens. You can stop close to the Parthenon or continue into center city and Syntigma Square. If you are walking mobile, consider this over the ship's tour.

We did this with no problem in April. From the ship docking area to the metro station (it really isn't close) is about a 6 - 8 euro cab ride. (Princess had a free shuttle to the metro station the day we were there). If you google Athens metro the image of the metro map will appear. Just click and print. We loved the metro - it was done for the Olympics and is beautiful, clean, safe and fully functional as well as not too busy. We took it to the Acropolis on our first stop there and then to the airport when we returned a week or so later - much more reliable than other transportation due to traffic.

My DH and I spent three days in Athens prior to our cruise last year. It really is easy to get around on the subway system and you can do a lot on your own. Beat the crowds by heading to the Acropolis first thing in the morning. It costs about 12 Euros/person but your ticket will also include admission to several other attractions and museums. Hang on to the ticket. The Acropolis gets very crowded after about 11 AM. Then head over to the Plaka.

The Plaka is the very oldest part of the city and a great place to stroll. It is tucked up under the shadow of the steep cliff of the Acropolis - a maze of winding streets, shops, cafes and tourists. It is the site of the Agora ( or market ) where Socrates spent his days in debate and western philosophy and politics were born. Cars are banned but scooters are everywhere.

A quick subway ride ( one Euro or less ) will take you over to Syntagma Square for the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. You are a short walk from Hadrian's arch and may get some great pictures of the parthenon in the distance.

Or you may take the subway to Victoria Station and the National Archaeological Museum.

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL of pick pockets on the subways and in crowds in Athens. Keep only a few Euros in your pocket. ALWAYS Carry credit cards, ship card, larger bills, in a money belt under your clothing. If you need to access the credit card etc, pop into a restroom, retrieve the item and make sure to return it to the moneybelt as soon as you can. Pickpockets are very good and you will never know that you have been a victim until you reach for your wallet. My husband was pickpocketed on the subway but only lost a few Euros. I was carrying all our documentation and cards and most of the money, safe and secure in my moneybelt.

Having said that, Athens is a great city. We found the people very friendly and helpful and loved the food in the tiny sidewalk cafes. We've travelled around Europe a lot and are comfortable navigating public transportation systems on our own. If you only have one day, you are likely better off taking some sort of organized tour or hiring a guide. You can waste a lot of time finding your way around and the Greek alphabet can be confusing.

Have a wonderful time.

I just wanted to add to the warning about pickpockets. Don't believe it can't happen to you. Two people we know were pickpocketed (one at the acropolis and one on the subway) in addition to one attempted pickpocketing at the Acropolis. Don't think Cargo shorts pockets or anything similar will do. Use a neck pouch or money belt if you can. The pickpockets are very good, work in groups, and crowds and distracted tourists are the perfect combination for the perfect work environment. BTW, I used a trick I saw on cruise critic for my purse. I had a white purse so I used a white diaper pin to hook the base that held the pull tab to the metal that held the strap. That prevents anyone from unzipping your purse unless they take the whole thing. After one tour, I returned to the ship to find the pull missing. I don't know if someone tried to unzip it or it just fell off. I'll never know I guess, but no one got my money etc.

We went on a cruise several years ago and did a pre-cruise in Athens. We went on a day trip which was awesome! It was a boat that took you to 3 islands with lunch and music aboard.

I don't remember the name of the boat (sorry) but I do remember one of the islands was Hydra. One island you were unable to drive cars on it. All I know is it was one of the best tours our family has ever taken.

Have fun Greece has been one of our favorite trips and we look forward to revisiting!

Andrea

I don't remember the name of the boat (sorry) but I do remember one of the islands was Hydra. One island you were unable to drive cars on it. All I know is it was one of the best tours our family has ever taken.

There is Aigina, Spetses, and a few other islands in the vicinity. If you're there for a few pre- or post- days, take a Flying Dolphin boat to the islands, and you'll never complain about sea sickness again :eek: if the sea is not cooperating. If the sea is good (it usually is) it is quite an experience in itself.

We took that tour of the island when we were in Athens too. We booked it through our hotel after we arrived in Greece. The bus picked us up at our hotel and dropped us off at the dock in Pirareu. We visited three islands, POROS, HYDRA, AND AEGINA. We had a very nice lunch onboard the ferry and met people from all over the world. There is no such thing as a "simple announcement on the ferry. Everything is repeated in 7 languages, English, Greek, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Chinese. While we were sailing from one island to another, we had a lesson on Greek dancing and we danced to the music of Zorba the Greek. We had a wonderful day.

Archived