Sotos, Nativeway, Moby Dick...Help me decide!

LisaRhea

We are cruising to Grand Cayman in October with a group of about 25 people and are looking for a snorkeling tour to Stingray City. I've researched these (plus a few more) tour operators. Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share with the tour companies listed or anyone else? We are looking for a private charter that includes Stingray City and at least one other snorkeling stop. Thanks!

We are cruising to Grand Cayman in October with a group of about 25 people and are looking for a snorkeling tour to Stingray City. I've researched these (plus a few more) tour operators. Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share with the tour companies listed or anyone else? We are looking for a private charter that includes Stingray City and at least one other snorkeling stop. Thanks!

I am also going to Grand Caymen in October. October 5th on the Legend. I was also looking at Nativeways and a few in our group are using them. I like they have two different snorkel spots. I heard some of our group talking about Soto's too but don't know of anyone that has used them already. I am leaning towards Nativeways. Debbie

I used nativeways on my last cruise back in 05 and loved it. We did the turtle farm, hell, rum factory and sting ray city tour. It was about $40 a person I think and we had a good time. There were only about 8 of us going out to the sting rays so we got lots of one on one. I plan to use them again for the same tour on my 4/26/09 cruise.

look into Fat Fish Adventures for a private tour. They give amazing customer service. You won't be disappointed. That being said, I really think there are several great operators and you'll have a great time which ever one you choose. I think that perhaps Nativeways is more well known, but not necessarily better. We've done both and had more personalized service with FAt Fish. Check them out on Trip Advisor.

We've used Captain Marvins twice and have been delighted both times. You should be able to get a boat for just your group if you contact them now. You can engage in an e-mail dialogue. They are prompt and the price is reasonable.

captainmarvins.com is the web site.

We most recently used them in April.

we used Nativeway in July. They were great! We did the Stingray City, Reef Snorkel and Starfish. we held kissed and fed the stingrays and at the Starfish we were able to dive down and bring a Starfish to the surface.

We would not hesitate to use them again.

Last time we were in Grand Cayman back in 2006 we TRIED to use Soto's - we had used them before and loved our trip but on this last trip they left us waiting and waiting and waiting never picked us up. We called several times and they kept telling us they were on their way - they never showed up.

I know we were in the right pick up spot because it hadn't changed since our first trip. Needless to say our three almost four year old was a little upset about not getting to go see the sting rays.

We're looking for someone new to use this September

Kris

Earlier this year I went on StingRay Sailing and it was great! Very personalized service and friendly staff. Plenty of room on the boat to spead out and do your own thing. I have recomended the tour to my parents when they go this fall. They found all the info they needed on the website: http://stingraysailing.com/.

Hope this helps.

Happy Cruizing!

CrazyCruizer2077 out.

We just got back and used Moby Dick Tours. I highly recommend them! They were easy to find off the pier, very friendly and very organized.

We got on a small boat out to the sandbar (about 25 of us) and we had a lot of time with the stingrays. They provided squid so you could feed the stingrays. The guides also got in the water with s and held the stingrays so we could pet/kiss them (it's 7 years good luck!). They let some people hold them if they wanted.

After the stingrays, we headed to a reef to snorkel. I felt like it wasn't enough time but it was my first time snorkeling in 2 years and I am a water lover. My boyfriend felt it was the perfect amount of time. The snorkeling was pretty good and one of the guides dove down and coaxed an eel out of a hiding place. He pulled the eel up for all of us to see it.

They provided lemonade and water on the boat for free. They would drop you off at 7 mile beach on the way back if you wanted. It cost $35pp. I would definitely use them again!

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked Moby Dick through their website and the cost was $40/pp for adult and $35/pp for kids. Did they just raise the price?

We just got back and used Moby Dick Tours. I highly recommend them! They were easy to find off the pier, very friendly and very organized.

They provided lemonade and water on the boat for free. They would drop you off at 7 mile beach on the way back if you wanted. It cost $35pp. I would definitely use them again!

We just booked Moby Dick through their website and the cost was $40/pp for adult and $35/pp for kids. Did they just raise the price?

I guess they did. I know it was $35 each. And I think if you booked at the pier it was $40. Maybe they charge more if you're close to the sail date?

Nativeway in 6/05. Would use them again in a heartbeat. I booked for my family of 4 and about 10 others. They thought I was a fantastic travel planner because of this excursion! Now I'm the one who has to do all the research for upcoming cruises!

We just got back from our cruise and we used Moby Dick. We absolutely LOVED them:D !! The guides were soooo helpful. I would highly recommend them. The were right there in the water with us teaching us so much about the stingrays. We got to hold them and feed them and KISS :p them. They are beautiful creatures! So soft and gentle. My kids, who I should mention are 19 and 16 so they are not easily impressed about anything that this age, just loved this trip and the guides tremendously. I have a bunch of pics of this excursion. If you would like to see them, let me know & I will post a link.

thanks

Marianne

I just got back and had a wonderful time with Sotos. They picked us up right on time and dropped us off at a nice beach afterwards, then we had lunch and walked back to the dock.

There were only about 10 other people on the boat but that boat could take at least 50 (BIG boat). We saw a few other boats out there at the Stingray City that must have had 100 people on them! I mean, really packed in like sardines. They said it's mostly the cruise ship people that get on the "cattle Boats". We were sure glad we hear about this site and booked directly with them before we landed. Our friends on the ship went with the place offered by the ship (forgot name) but said there were 100 or more people crowded on their boat.

We were lucky, but I'd suggest anyone new to contact the places first and find out how many people they take. If it's more than a few dozen, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

We just got back from our cruise and we used Moby Dick. We absolutely LOVED them:D !! The guides were soooo helpful. I would highly recommend them. The were right there in the water with us teaching us so much about the stingrays. We got to hold them and feed them and KISS :p them. They are beautiful creatures! So soft and gentle. My kids, who I should mention are 19 and 16 so they are not easily impressed about anything that this age, just loved this trip and the guides tremendously. I have a bunch of pics of this excursion. If you would like to see them, let me know & I will post a link.

thanks

Marianne

I would appreciate the link. I just reserved the tour for our December cruise.

May I ask-what did most people tip? Is the standard 15-20% appropriate?

Thanks

I would appreciate the link. I just reserved the tour for our December cruise.

May I ask-what did most people tip? Is the standard 15-20% appropriate?

Thanks

I don't honestly know what everybody else tipped. I know that my hubby gave the guides a $20 tip. I seen a few other people tipping them, but I sure hope more people tipped them than what I seen. They really earned a tip in my opinion. I think there was also a tip jar in the bus that drove us there and back, but we made sure we tipped the guides directly. I know you'll love this trip and the guides!! I wish I could remember their names. I'll ask my daughter. She is back at school at USF but I know she really connected with one of them, because he also left GC for awhile to attend school at USF also. They were chatting it up a lot. I'll be sure to ask her their names so hopefully you can see if you have the same guys or not!!:)

HAVE FUN!!

Marianne

We used nativeways on 8/13 for Stingrays, Starfish, and Coral Reef. We had Captain Chris. It was great. Swimming with the Stingrays is just a great feeling. Captain Chris even placed Frisbee (sting ray with no tail) on my son's head, so he had a Sting Ray for a hat. I am glad my DS 7, and DD 10, are such great swimmers. They actually dove down to the bottom and pulled up a Starfish for me to see. Also enjoyed the great colors of fish at the Coral Reed stop. Would recommend Nativeways.

We just did the Nativeway Stingray city, corral gardens, and starfish tour on the 18th. I would recommend them as well. We had about 15 people (only 5 from our family) on the boat, but it was nice and relaxed. We did see the "cattle" boats, but we were far enough away from them when we were at the sand bar. We had Solomon and Everett. They were very hands on (with the stingrays) when we were there encouraging us to touch and hold them. The corral gardens were OK, there was another boat where they typically go, so we when to a different spot. We did get to see and dive for the starfish and conch shells. We also made an extra stop to see some sea turtles. They let our kids drive the boat on the way back. Price was $40 per adult, $35 per kid. I tipped an extra $30. Hope this helps.

Earlier this year I went on StingRay Sailing and it was great! Very personalized service and friendly staff. Plenty of room on the boat to spead out and do your own thing. I have recomended the tour to my parents when they go this fall. They found all the info they needed on the website: http://stingraysailing.com/.

Hope this helps.

Happy Cruizing!

CrazyCruizer2077 out.

Can you share more about your experience? I just contacted them about when we are in Grand Cayman. They boat looks awlsome and they seem very friendly by email, but I haven't heard much about them on the boards. Thanks.

Archived