Whats the best way to tip

C cruzer

With the autopay does every staff member get tipped? Or is it just the steward, assistants, maitre'd and bartenders???

I talked about this a couple of weeks ago with my boyfriend and I'm going with auto tip because it's the right thing to do, but he said he' rather wait until the end of the week to give his tips. Is this possible? Can I be setup for auto tips and he not be? We're going to be in the same stateroom.

Does your BF realize that the auto-tip is just a memo billing on your account through the week? In fact it is NOT PAID until Carnival bills your credit card company, they send out a bill and you pay the bill. Some weeks after the cruise has ended. And the servers do not get the tip money until Carnival has billed your cc co. and it has cleared. AND, at any time thru the cruise, he can go to the Purser and change the amount to any other amount, including zero. So there is simply no issue of "Tipping in advance."

$9. of the $10.00 pppd tip is split between your exact room steward, waiter, and asst. waiter. $1.00 is pooled for all the bistro [buffet] workers.

The MaitreD', bartenders, bullfighters and balloon blowers get zero of your tip. If you wish to tip the MD', you do that with cash. Bartenders and bar waiters split the 15% that is added to EACH bar purchase.

Dan

Does your BF realize that the auto-tip is just a memo billing on your account through the week? In fact it is NOT PAID until Carnival bills your credit card company, they send out a bill and you pay the bill. Some weeks after the cruise has ended. And the servers do not get the tip money until Carnival has billed your cc co. and it has cleared. AND, at any time thru the cruise, he can go to the Purser and change the amount to any other amount, including zero. So there is simply no issue of "Tipping in advance."

$9. of the $10.00 pppd tip is split between your exact room steward, waiter, and asst. waiter. $1.00 is pooled for all the bistro [buffet] workers.

The MaitreD', bartenders, bullfighters and balloon blowers get zero of your tip. If you wish to tip the MD', you do that with cash. Bartenders and bar waiters split the 15% that is added to EACH bar purchase.

Dan

Thank you. And room service is to be tipped in cash, right?

We too do the Thank You cards at the end of the cruise, along with some extra money. We leave the auto tips in place as well.

The Thank You cards will go in their personnel files (or so I've heard) and will factor into their reviews, raises, etc. I always make sure to personalize them as much as possible, so that they have more meaning.

We generally tip $20 to $40 to our room steward, $20 to $40 to the wait staff, and something to the wine steward. On our HAL cruise we tipped the wine steward $50 because he didn't charge us a single corkage fee on the wine that we brought to dinner every night.

I have a real hard time believing that employees gets a bad mark or questioned every time someone removes their autotip.:rolleyes: Too time consuming with that many passengers. I believe they will receive a bad mark when a customer notes it on the comment card.........JMHO.......

I don't know why you always have a hard time with that idea. It is basic management logic. ANYTIME you have a situation where an employee TOUCHES a customer's MONEY, it 100% MUST be tightly controlled. Failure to exercise tight controls in that area does not invite theft, it absolutely guarantees that it will happen. Foolish to think otherwise. Plus it is a simple way to assess customer satisfaction and it is right there in front of them. I find it hard to imagine they would not use that tool without a second thought.

Dan

I don't know why you always have a hard time with that idea. It is basic management logic. ANYTIME you have a situation where an employee TOUCHES a customer's MONEY, it 100% MUST be tightly controlled. Failure to exercise tight controls in that area does not invite theft, it absolutely guarantees that it will happen. Foolish to think otherwise. Plus it is a simple way to assess customer satisfaction and it is right there in front of them. I find it hard to imagine they would not use that tool without a second thought.

Dan

I was not talking about cash tips. I was talking about your comment that if someone removes the auto tip that they are questioned and receive a bad mark. I am in management so you can keep you logic comments to yourself thankyouverymuch:rolleyes: Customer satisfaction should never be assumed......

Do the pre-paid tip when you book; it's more convenient than handling cash on the ship and reduces sticker-shock when you get your S&S bill the last nite. We've ALWAYS had stellar service, so we ALSO give Dining Room Waiter & Assistant and Room Steward xtra $20 each in cash - I bring that with me and put it in the safe 'til final nite. I too have read that if the passengers are not pre-paid tips, they are supposed to turn in any CASH tips.

I prepay so I don't have to worry about it then tip more to people if they go above and beyond for me.

This is what I do too. I do not need any more additions on my S&S card. As far as when they receive them, that is none of my business. Like someone said there are so many rumors going around nobody really knows for sure just how, when or where the staff get their tips but I an sure they get them and that is all that concerns me. If someone goes beyond I do the same, give them more.

I was not talking about cash tips. I was talking about your comment that if someone removes the auto tip that they are questioned and receive a bad mark. I am in management so you can keep you logic comments to yourself thankyouverymuch:rolleyes: Customer satisfaction should never be assumed......

K,

I think I said assess [to guage, to measure] not assume[ to make an ass of u and me]:D A cash tip in lieu of an auto tip and customer satisfaction are intertwined in this situation.

And 30 years of successful management, including awards and write ups in national publications. Thankyouverymuch.:p:D

Dan

K,

I think I said assess [to guage, to measure] not assume[ to make an ass of u and me]:D A cash tip in lieu of an auto tip and customer satisfaction are intertwined in this situation.

And 30 years of successful management, including awards and write ups in national publications. Thankyouverymuch.:p:D

Dan

Understand cash in lieu but that was not my point. No biggie;)

Archived