Ketchikan- kayak, floatplane, or both?

btak

We will be in Ketchikan from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Oosterdam in August and are struggling with so many great choices for excursions, yet such limited time in port. We have it narrowed down to one of the following three options...

1. Misty Fjords flightseeing with Island Wings from 9-11

2. Orca's Cove kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks from 8-12

3. Pennock Paddling plus Misty Fjords flightseeing with Southeast Sea Kayaks

Ideally, we could do Orca's Cove and Misty Fjords, but there just isn't enough time. If we choose the third option, Pennock sounds a bit less scenic than Orca's Cove, and we don't get Michelle from Island Wings. I know we would love any of the three options, but am having a terrible time making a decision.

Any suggestions out there from those who have tried these tours would be greatly appreciated.

We did Orca Cove with Southeast 4 years ago, and it was fantastic...wonderful way to experience the rugged coastline and marine ecosystems (we even had a close-up encounter with some sea lions).

This cruise we did Misty Fjords with Island Wings, and it was also an amazing and breathtaking experience (on a spectacular and clear day).

I cannot comment on Pennock vs. Orca Cove, but I would choose the option that combines both flightseeing AND kayaking if your budget allows...for us, Alaska is all about getting out of town and doing things, so we like to pack as much as possible into each port...even if Pennock is less scenic than Orca cove, you still will be able to enjoy seeing the kelp and starfish and other marine wildlife up close. Another plus...you will have a great day even if the weather does not cooperate with your flightseeing plans!

I did the Orca's Cove kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks combined with their Misty Fiords flightseeing. A perfect combination. The floatplane picks you up directly from the kayak base at Orca's Cove so you don't have to use time for a transfer back to Ketchikan. Orca's Cove is much better than Pennock Paddling -- the former is much more isolated while the latter stays in and around the heavily trafficked Tongass Narrows. I recommend that you contact Southeast Sea Kayaks and ask if you have enough time to do the combined tour.

Hi, I am speaking up late. I just got back on Friday. We did the floatplane through the cruise ship. It was an amazing experience, not to be missed! We landed on a secluded lake and saw a mother bear and her cubs on the shore. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Our flight was at 7:30am and we would have had plenty of time left for another excursion. I wish we had planned something else. If you can combine excursions, do it!

Archived