Dress Question

Some balls are called "black and white" meaning just that colour combinations, that's why I asked.

White is white and that is what you would wear, I just didn't like that dress. Period costume is another thing.

I would still stick with something white, sleek, silk and flash.

Some balls are called "black and white" meaning just that colour combinations, that's why I asked.

White is white and that is what you would wear, I just didn't like that dress. Period costume is another thing.

I would still stick with something white, sleek, silk and flash.

Thanks for your feedback. I am confused as to why I should wear white. White tie does not mean that a lady has to wear white, unless she is a debutante; it's a dress code that refers to a gentleman's attire (black tailcoat and white cotton pique tie -- hence the name white tie).

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion about not liking the dress, but I will not wear something white, since I am not a debutante. I also don't care for sleek dresses because they don't look very nice when waltzing.

Thanks for your feedback. I am confused as to why I should wear white. White tie does not mean that a lady has to wear white, unless she is a debutante; it's a dress code that refers to a gentleman's attire (black tailcoat and white cotton pique tie -- hence the name white tie).

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion about not liking the dress, but I will not wear something white, since I am not a debutante. I also don't care for sleek dresses because they don't look very nice when waltzing.

But a lot easier when going to the loo!!!

For the record, I don't like Mrs Bush's ugly dress either. Nor the Queen's but I can forgive her as she is HM! A wonderful hard working woman

White tie affair Washington DC May 2007...

Our dear Queen is far from her Debutante Days!:p

1zg7y8i.jpg

We had tea with her when she was at the Embassy in Washington last year. That dress is ivory. Sorry, but I truly believe that pure white is reserved for debutantes. Well, HM does look a bit dowdy in this picture, but she was quite fashionable and stylish when she was young. I don't care too much about Laura Bush's dress either, but then I never like what she wears.

I think the gown is beautiful, and at such formal events, would look just lovely.

How will you accessorize - shoes, handbag?

Enjoy!

Thank you. I have gold satin dancing pumps and a gold satin handbag. The colour is quite a bit darker than pictured and the gold looks lovely with it. I will probably wear gold jewellery (I have a nice necklace that's a mix of pearls and diamonds), my tiara, which is really more of a headband, and kid leather opera loves.

Wow, now thats a ballgown! I love the look of trains, Standing still or in a pose they look wonderful but I have not yet qute figured out how to walk in them, dance in them, out of the question!

:) In Victorian and Edwardian times, the ladies had a loop of fabric attached to their trains, which they used to pick them up. If I keep the train as long as it currently is, I will probably do something similar. The other option is to keep it long and turn it into a bustle. However, I will most likely have it shortened and create a flower or two out of the excess material.

Thank you. I have gold satin dancing pumps and a gold satin handbag. The colour is quite a bit darker than pictured and the gold looks lovely with it. I will probably wear gold jewellery (I have a nice necklace that's a mix of pearls and diamonds), my tiara, which is really more of a headband, and kid leather opera loves.

This sounds great for your particular coloring.

It should all be very flattering.

:D

Of course, if you ever wanted to really mix it up CJW style, these would rawk with that gown!

11821712.jpg

I kid, I kid! But, I can dream can't I?;)

This sounds great for your particular coloring.

It should all be very flattering.

:D

Of course, if you ever wanted to really mix it up CJW style, these would rawk with that gown!

11821712.jpg

I kid, I kid! But, I can dream can't I?;)

You can always dream:D. However, have you ever tried dancing a Viennese waltz with rubber soles? :p I dare say that it would be awfully difficult to glide across the dance floor. Now, considering that I will have to wear outside shoes, these might actually come in handy. The ball is in January in Northern England, and it can be quite cold, wet and even icy. Many women wear boots outside and change into something else once safely ensconed inside.

Sounds heavenly!

I imagined the dress w/ gold dance pumps. Perfect!

Archived