Trip report 7/12 Pride of America

luvsvacation

PRE CRUISE: My husband and I (both in our early 50's) flew from NY to Honolulu the day before the cruise on United Airlines. We checked into the Marriott Waikiki which was a good choice since they have the NCL desk there and it makes it easier to register for the cruise, ask any questions and have your pics taken for the ship's ID card.

Everything went smoothly and I especially liked that since we booked everything through NCL, all transfers were included and our luggage was handled for us from hotel to ship. We ate dinner in the hotel, walked a little on the beach and turned in early. Waikiki was very lively and there were many people on the beach and in the water way after dark.

6:30 am, we had a Pearl Harbor/city tour with Enoa Tours. Even at that time there was a line and we were the 2nd group to go into the memorial. Very somber and moving tribute.

We transfered to the ship right after the tour and walked around to get acclimated. We were on the Pearl last year to Alaska and this ship doesn't compare to that one although we took into consideration that POA is older. I have read on these boards a number of times about the crew not being up to par but my husband and I do not agree. We thought everyone was helpful and friendly and saw no difference between the all american crew and the crews on the other ships we've been on.

PORTS: Maui (day 1) We booked the Road to Hana with Ekahi Tours. BIG MISTAKE! I've heard good things about this company so I went with good expectations. I got a little suspicious when this tour company's buses were not aloud to go inside the gates to pick up passengers. The bus picked us up a little late and it smelled terribly of mildew and was in very poor condition. The air conditioner hardly worked at all so by the 3rd or 4th hour into the tour it was miserably hot inside the bus. The driver apologized but there was nothing that could be done by that point. Although the scenery was beautiful and we made plenty of stops, the hairpin turns and stop and go got old fast. This tour was just too long a day (10 hrs.) to spend the very first day, still getting used to the time change. I noticed the ships tour buses were at the stops we made and they looked like they were in much better condition so if anyone wants to attempt the Road to Hana I would suggest the ships tours.

Maui (day 2) We took the ship's tour Lahaina on your own. When we got to Lahaina, most of the shops were closed so we jumped on the shuttle to Ka’anapali Beach and walked around there. Very beautiful beach behind high rise hotels and shopping. Shuttled back to Lahaina where we had a nice lunch by the water at Lahaina Fish Co. and went back to the ship in the afternoon.

Hilo: Rented a convertible at thrifty and were on the way to Volcanoes National Park by 8:15. We beat the tour buses and practically had the whole park to ourselves. This is a must see and we made our way around the steam vents, lava tubes and lava fields and drove all the way down to the end of Chain of Craters Road. After the park we drove around Hilo to Rainbow Falls and further onto Akaka Falls which the walkway to the falls was closed off. Got the car back in plenty of time. We sailed by the lava flowing into the ocean that night. It was a fantastic sight.

Kona: We had booked the Fairwinds Hula Kai snorkeling trip but 2 days before they had called me to say they were canceling that tour because not enough people booked it. Even though the earlier Fairwinds II was booked, they said they would put us on that one instead. I was concerned about making it there in time from the ship since that one left earlier but there was no problem getting a cab and making it there with extra time. This is a well run, first rate operation. We were very impressed with the crew who catered to the passengers and had a wonderful day. Everyone can take this trip, they have snorkeling equipment and view boxes for people who don't want to put their faces in the water. After the cab ride back there is plenty of shopping within walking distance of the ship.

Kauai (day 1): We rented another convertible through thrifty and basically toured the whole island which turned out to be my favorite. We started up to Waimea Canyon but when we got there it was raining pretty hard. We waited it out and was glad to do so. The sun came out on one of the most beautiful views. We headed up a little further to try and see the view of the Na Pali coastline, but it was so foggy there was nothing to see and the rangers told us it didn't look like it would lift. We then just drove making different stops at spouting horn, popoi area for lunch and another beautiful spot I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the Kilauea lighthouse and on through Princeville. All the most beautiful scenery for pictures.

Kauai (day 2): We just took the shuttle to the Marriott hotel and sat by Kalapaki Beach. There was no problem doing so and even got to use their lounge chairs. Did a little shopping in the shops by the beach and had to be back on the ship early. We relaxed on the ship's decks until the sailby of the Na Pali coast which was breathtaking.

FOOD & ENTERTAINMENT: We found the food and service to be good in the main dining rooms although they were a little on the loud side. We also ate at Lazy J's, Jefferson Bistro and Little Italy all of which the service was a little better. We attended a few of the shows and enjoyed the comedian and the magician the best. The late night shows were entertaining as well and the cruise staff tries very hard to get everyone involved to have good time.

POST CRUISE: Again our bags were taken directly to our hotel in Waikiki and we were the last group to disembark. We shuttled to the Moana Surfrider hotel which is one the most beautiful hotels on the strip. I would totally recommend this hotel even though it's a bit pricey. The atmosphere is very sophisticated and yet beachy at the same time. We enjoyed sitting on the front porch rockers after dinner and watching the parade of people go by. The only draw backs I can see is that it was very crowded with people coming and going all day and night and the beach is extremely small which is the case in most of Waikiki. The other thing to be aware of is that you need to reserve lounge chairs the day before you need them and you need to be down by the pool area around 9am the day of to get them. Dukes is right next door and we had breakfast there one morning.

Waikiki is a totally people watching destination, especially at night when the strip is alive with all kinds of entertainment and the stores stay open pretty late. We really just relaxed here for a day and a half until it was time to go back home.

All in all, a wonderful trip. Hawaii is beautiful and there were many things I didn't get a chance to do this time so I'm hoping some day to go back.

Mahalo to everyone on this board for helping me in my plans.

I'm asking for a friend who is due to go on the same cruise in November. When we went on Radiance of the Seas a few years ago, we anchored off Lahaina overnight and took a taxi to Old Lahaina Luau. Does Pride of America tender or dock (and if so, how far from Lahaina town?)

Thanks for your help

I'm asking for a friend who is due to go on the same cruise in November. When we went on Radiance of the Seas a few years ago, we anchored off Lahaina overnight and took a taxi to Old Lahaina Luau. Does Pride of America tender or dock (and if so, how far from Lahaina town?)

Thanks for your help

Most sailings of the POAM dock overnight in Kahului, about a 45minute+ drive from Lahaina. I do recall reading about a few sailings where the POAM docks in Kahului one day and tenders in Lahaina the second day...they should check the itinerary for their specific sailing to find out for certain.

luvsvacation - Thanks. Did you do any Luau's? Did Enoa Tours pick you up from the hotel for the Pearl Harbor tour? Also do they return you back to the hotel or do they drop you off at the port? Appreciate the information.

radtech :)

Luvsvacation,

You said that most of the shops were closed in Lahaina, what was the problem?

Are they closed on a certain day of the week? We will be on the POA on Aug 9 and also plan to go to Lahaina. We will be in Maui on a Sun-Mon.

Thanks for your vacation update.

radtech

To my disappointment we did not do the luau. My husband did not want to go. But I saw at least 5 packed buses coming back to the ship after it and people we had met on the ship said it was fun. If I ever go back I will do it.

And for the Pearl Harbor tour E noa picked us up at our hotel and dropped us back off after. I'm not sure if they would drop you off elsewhere but I'm sure you could ask them beforehand. Have a great cruise.

muttsr4me

I' m sorry I confused everyone. The reason the shops were closed In Lahaina was because we got there before 9 am. I'm pretty sure they all opened around 10. That's why we went to the beach for a while. By the time we got back everything was opened.

Hope this helps.

luvsvacation - which Luau did you see these people coming back from?

By the way after reviewing your cruise update it may me want to so badly.

Thanks for a great review. :)

radtech :)

radtech

NCL sponsers the Luau Kalamaku in Kauai. That's the one they provide the transportation to. I don't remember the price. If you have your booking number you can go into the NCL website and find out the price under shore excursions. Have a great time if you go.

My DH and I are already booked on the POA for March. Our friends are thinking about coming along. They want a Penthouse suite and don't know which side of the ship is better for veiwing the Islands as you cruise by. For example, at night sailing by the Lava flow which side would be better? I heard a long time ago that the ship makes 2 passes so each side of the ship can see. Any help on this would be appreciated!

Teri

I'll start from the end and work backwards. For Na Pali coast, the Port side is the only side that you can view the coast. Back in 2006 when the itinerary was Hilo then Maui you cruised past the lava flow and then turned around and cruised northward then westward to Maui so you could view them from both sides. But If your itinerary is Hilo then Kona and the lava fields are active you'll see them from the starboard side. I've heard that with the lack of activity from Kileaua they no longer are cruising close to the Big Island until it erupts again.

My DH and I are already booked on the POA for March. Our friends are thinking about coming along. They want a Penthouse suite and don't know which side of the ship is better for veiwing the Islands as you cruise by. For example, at night sailing by the Lava flow which side would be better? I heard a long time ago that the ship makes 2 passes so each side of the ship can see. Any help on this would be appreciated!

Teri

I'll start from the end and work backwards. For Na Pali coast, the Port side is the only side that you can view the coast. Back in 2006 when the itinerary was Hilo then Maui you cruised past the lava flow and then turned around and cruised northward then westward to Maui so you could view them from both sides. But If your itinerary is Hilo then Kona and the lava fields are active you'll see them from the starboard side. I've heard that with the lack of activity from Kileaua they no longer are cruising close to the Big Island until it erupts again.

.... We sailed by the lava flowing into the ocean that night. It was a fantastic sight...
The lava sailby is back on again, and the Starboard side seems to be the better choice for that.

Another consideration...we were on the port side, and felt that the starboard side would have been better during the two overnights in port (Maui and Kauaii) as the port side is rather noisy with an industrial view (at least on our sailing).

Whichever side they choose, there will be times when it is far superior to be on the open decks for viewing.

Can any shuttle bus drop off inside the gates to the POA?? I'm going Sept 13 and was thinking of using TPT shuttle service (there's 20 of us!) but some companies are telling me there's a 'bus permit' fee to drop off at the dock. I ran into this in Seattle last year when shuttle express dropped us off 1/2 block from check in...help anyone! Thanks in advance.

Archived