Please share your ideas about the Canopy Tour (zip lines)

jaylyn12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We did the zip-line in St. Martin last month...it was more rope bridge/obstacles than zip-lines. It was a work-out and BUT we had a good time and glad we did it.

Next time, I'd like to find one that is MORE zip-lines, and less mangos falling my my kids heads! :D

:D We had a ball.....there are 11 or 13 ziplines I can't remember. Somelines go really fast. the shorter runs are kind of slow. The first zipline isn't too high 25ft above a gorge about 40 yards across, it gives a nice little taste of what to expect.

At he very end, the only way to get out of the tree tops is a free fall....let me explain. You hook your harness to a counter balance weight, then you step off the tree platform and you fall 30 ft. to the ground. YES FT. we asked the guide because I couldn't do it....A very nice ranger..a very skinny Jamaican young man hooked his harness with mine to help me down. I din't like the free fall feel. I made the mistake of tugging the harness contraption, which gave me the feel it wouldn't support my weight...this scared me. That is why I needed the help.

Other than getting out of the tree...I had a blast.

Angela

Antigua Rainforest Canopy Tour

info@antiguarainforest.com

www.antiguarainforest.com

(268) 562-6363

(268) 562-6364 fax

I've tried emailing them twice and haven't gotten a response. This is offered on the Explorer on our cruise, but it is from 10:30 - 2:30 which kind of messes up the whole day. I would prefer having something first thing in the morning, so I was hoping to schedule independantly. Some companies agree to not sell privately to cruise customers. Maybe they are one of them. They don't have prices on their web site, so you can't compare direct cost verses cruise cost without contacting them.:rolleyes:

I will be back in Antigua (not on a cruise) and am hoping to do the ziplining on the weekend of 20th Sept. I will be calling them when back on island. I did call them some weeks ago and can't remember exactly but it was something like $70. Can't remember if that was the short course or full course. Will be happy to report back if I am successful. This is the dead season in Antigua and lots of businesses are closed. Don't know if they close down too.

Was it a tour through the cruiseline or did you contract it on your own?

Do you have the info or name of company/place in Antigua?

We had to book directly through RCCL....the price was 95.00 pp...they picked us up at the cruise 8:30 and we returned at 12:30...we signed up almost a year in advance was able to pick the best times....

We had to book directly through RCCL....the price was 95.00 pp...they picked us up at the cruise 8:30 and we returned at 12:30...we signed up almost a year in advance was able to pick the best times....

I would love to have the option of 8:30. Our excursions only came out about a week ago, so it seems odd that times would already be full. 10:30 just messes up the whole day.

:D We had a ball.....there are 11 or 13 ziplines I can't remember. Somelines go really fast. the shorter runs are kind of slow. The first zipline isn't too high 25ft above a gorge about 40 yards across, it gives a nice little taste of what to expect.

At he very end, the only way to get out of the tree tops is a free fall....let me explain. You hook your harness to a counter balance weight, then you step off the tree platform and you fall 30 ft. to the ground. YES FT. we asked the guide because I couldn't do it....A very nice ranger..a very skinny Jamaican young man hooked his harness with mine to help me down. I din't like the free fall feel. I made the mistake of tugging the harness contraption, which gave me the feel it wouldn't support my weight...this scared me. That is why I needed the help.

Other than getting out of the tree...I had a blast.

Angela

Are there alot of rope bridges/rope swings or is it all zip lines? If it's mostly zip lines, then this is the tour for us!

Are there alot of rope bridges/rope swings or is it all zip lines? If it's mostly zip lines, then this is the tour for us!

They have three different options. The Full Canopy tour which takes approx 2 1/2 hours and includes the zipline portion and the ropes course. The Zip Line Tour which is only zips and the "Leap of Faith" at the end. About 1 1/4 hours long. And finally, the Rope Challenge Course which takes approx 3/4 of an hour.

It sounds like you can sign up for any of the 3 options. You can see the full descriptions at http://www.antiguarainforest.com/tours.htm and there were several decent videos on youtube. Just search on Antigua Canopy.

I haven't been yet, but I have been researching a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, I did this on the weekend. $85 for the full course, 9 ziplines plus the assault course. It was a blast! I was through in one and a half hours. The staff are very good and help you along where needed. You sign your life away, write down the address to send the body parts and then you get a harness, helmet and gloves (so don't wear a hat) and they give you a briefing. The first zip is short and gentle and it goes from there.

The assault course is different. This is for the young and foolish. Old and foolish is less forgiveable. I'm a grandfather and pensioner with no medical problems. I made it without embarassing myself but it's tough. Chalk it up to ignorance, I ain't doing it again. I have also decided that maybe I don't want to join the Marines after all.

Wear shorts and a T-shirt, but not your best one. You'll get mud/dirt/rust stains on your clothes. You could wear sandals but socks and sneakers would be much better, especially if you insist on doing the assault course. From the end of the course back to base is up the stairs, the equivalent of six to eight flights of stairs maybe. This is not an eco-tour and there is no attempt to point out flora or fauna along the way. The zip is everything.

We're doing the zipline course in January. I'm just crazy enough that I wanted to try the ropes course too, but I got talked out of it. That's probably a good thing anyhow!

I had emailed the company as well, they responded that they went through the cruiselines when ships were in port so you can't book them on your own when cruising. To that I simply gave a shrug and went through RCCL for the booking. I've seen worse excursion costs than this one, that's for certain.

• 2 years later...

Brother-in-law and his girlfriend did the zips and the rope challenge two weeks ago. They booked through the ship, because they weren't comfortable going it alone. They had a blast Both are mid 50's, very fit. They said the rope challenge was a little hard for a couple of people in the group.

One disappointment: they bought the pictures and CD package. When they got home, they had been given the WRONG photos. Immediately called the tour company, and were told that all the files for that particular day had been lost, due to power outages. So they have not even ONE picture of their big adventure. Their money was immediately refunded for the photo package. So if you buy photos, make sure you are getting the right ones. You are not allowed to bring your own cameras.

Archived