Cozumel, Belize, Cancum, Rotan, Which??

jgirvine

Depends on how long you are in each port. Roatan is great. Caymans are obviously one of the premiere stops (not that much hurricane damage, north and west walls are fine) and Coz is one of the most dived places on earth. Belize is the one of the largest reef systems in the world. I would pick Belize but if you ship is not there long you won't be able to get out to the best reefs. I'd skip a few lattes or lunches out and come up with the $75-85 and do two stops. I assume you are on the Valor? That itenerary is crying for divers! Use land based operators instead of the cruise ship bookings and you may save enought to do both. Of course if the "one dive" is significant other imposed then....can't help ya there :D

Fantastic! Both are different.. if you get the chance do both.. We just got off Explorer of the Seas.. we went to Belize and dove at the Turneffe Atoll and it was great.. the whole time a shark sucker (Remora) was trying to latch on to our group.. He was desperate! He came right up to us... Where can you see that??? Cozumel- of course, beautiful swim-throughs, walls, huge coral, sea turtles. 100 + vis. water temp 84. We used Sand Dollar- they were OK except the boat had to be loaded at the Reef Club instead of being loaded before the divers got onboard at the cruise ship pier./. Live and Learn. Not what I wanted but I went with the flow. DM was alittle fast but second dive at Paradise Reef we went real slow-- saw my first Splendid Toadfish! 50 min total it was a dream...( first dive was Santa Rosa Wall with amazing tunnels to swim throughs) Planning on going back to Coz in the winter for a week. Jane and Bob

D**n the money - dive ALL 4 stops! A trip like that comes only once in a great while.

If the one dive has been imposed by your significant other, then trade up to one that dives (or understands a diver).

Wendy

This past May we went diving in both - in Roatan we schedule a dive with saltnpepperroatan.com (they hired a guy down the street - James) who was great!!! The day was excellent and the dive good too - wish there would have been more fish, but sometimes it doesnt work that way.

Cozumel we used a guy set up at Paradise Beach - we hadn't planned this dive and just arranged it when we got to the beach. It too was a good dive.

• 2 weeks later...

Cozumel. Everyone should enjoy drift diving at least once in their life (tho, if you're like me, you'll get hooked and go back). But, if for any reason you can't dive there, go Roatan. As others have said it too is stellar.

I envy you. I need to find a reason to get wet in that part of the world again. :)

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Fantastic! Both are different.. if you get the chance do both.. We just got off Explorer of the Seas.. we went to Belize and dove at the Turneffe Atoll and it was great.. the whole time a shark sucker (Remora) was trying to latch on to our group.. He was desperate! He came right up to us... Where can you see that??? Cozumel- of course, beautiful swim-throughs, walls, huge coral, sea turtles. 100 + vis. water temp 84. We used Sand Dollar- they were OK except the boat had to be loaded at the Reef Club instead of being loaded before the divers got onboard at the cruise ship pier./. Live and Learn. Not what I wanted but I went with the flow. DM was alittle fast but second dive at Paradise Reef we went real slow-- saw my first Splendid Toadfish! 50 min total it was a dream...( first dive was Santa Rosa Wall with amazing tunnels to swim throughs) Planning on going back to Coz in the winter for a week. Jane and Bob

My husband & I usually stay at the Reef Club (now called Wyndham) & book the dives with Dimi. Dimi dive would pick us up at the dock that Sand Dollar uses :p

I live on the island from Nov to April and although I know tons of dive ops I would recommend Papa Hogs. They have 6 pax boats...leave from South of Town so are closer to the reefs, arrange boats by skill levels, and the DM's have been diving the reefs for years. Taxi fare depending where you end up would only be $4. Enjoy...

Archived