How close to cruise departure date can you book

kazda

Hi

Does anybody know how close to the departure date of a cruise will P&O still accept bookings.

We've just had to cancel our booking for W828 on PD departing on 3rd October due to a relatives serious illness.

Events may change closer to the cruises' departure date and we may be able to book again for this cruise, if of course cabins are still available.

When I questioned the travel agent whom we booked with (and subsequently cancelled with) as to how close to the sail date we can book, she advised that P&O normally 'close off' each cruise around 60 days prior to sailing and therefore no bookings can be taken after that close off date (which in this case would be 3rd august)

I know that there would have to be a deadline in which to book so that cruise tickets etc can be posted out, however does anybody know if the 60 days prior to sailing close off is correct.

I also thought that if we were able to rebook, it may be best to go directly through P&O as that way we eliminate the agent and could possiblyy get the tickets quicker.

Any information / advise would be appreciated.

Hi Kazda,

We booked on 15th January for a 23rd February cruise. Last year we booked only 10 days prior to the cruise. On that occasion P & O said they would not have time to post our cruise documents and that we could check in without them. We printed off the cruise personaliser just in case, but of course they had all our details of their computer.

Hope it all works out for you. If you are lucky you might get a 'last-minute special'. Keep your fingers and toes crossed. :):)

Hi Kazda,

We booked on 15th January for a 23rd February cruise. Last year we booked only 10 days prior to the cruise. On that occasion P & O said they would not have time to post our cruise documents and that we could check in without them. We printed off the cruise personaliser just in case, but of course they had all our details of their computer.

Hope it all works out for you. If you are lucky you might get a 'last-minute special'. Keep your fingers and toes crossed. :):)

Thanks Ela 2 for your reply.

Good to know that last minute bookings are possible, which I would think P&O would try to accommodate if there are available cabins.

I'll keep in mind if we do manage to go, to print off the cruise personaliser if the tickets don't arrive before hand.

I think last min specials too close to sail day or standby are a thing of the past?

If you booked it 10 days or 4 weeks prior to cruise date the price would be the same i think?

I am sure thay have a cut off date for bookings.

den

I think last min specials too close to sail day or standby are a thing of the past?

If you booked it 10 days or 4 weeks prior to cruise date the price would be the same i think?

den

We're only holding off booking until last minute due to the uncertantity of a family members illness.

So I guess if there's a special going at the time of booking we'll jump at it, otherwise we would be happy just to be onboard.

den

Hi Den,

I agree that 'stand-by' fares don't seem to be an option, and if someone is wait-listed, it is probably at normal price. However, I have seen 'specials' come out a few months prior to a cruise. I assume this is when there are a lot of un-sold cabins. I agree that the price would most likely be the same whether you booked 10 days or 4 weeks prior, but the original question was "How close to sailing date will P & O accept bookings?" Her TA's advice was 60 days, and I don't believe this is correct. She realises that it is subject to a cabin being available. I hope it works out for her. :)

If you have the luxury of booking last min then I say try it!

Most need to book a little in advance to get everything shore side in ordered before the trip.

If you are not tied down by work or family commitments then it doesn't matter weather you go on this cruise or the the next as long as the price is right.

I think if its been done 10 days before then it could happen all the time,but i think the best price may come via P&O direct if booking so late?

It would also give some of us a chance of a last min upgrade;)

Den

I could be wrong here (wouldn't be the first time;) ) but I think Lorraine (QLD cruiser ) booked a cruise something like a week before. I can't see why they would have a cut off as they would want to fill as many cabins as possible and as Evon said, if there is not enough time to post out tickets you can check in without them.

H Everyone,

I asked the local travel agent (recently)about last minute deals , she said to bring all my details back in .. passport etc,she may be able find something ,but it may be an inside cabin... it would be possible to book about 1 week out. haven't tried it but sounded like it would be possible.

Deb

Hi all

Curiosity got the better of me last year regarding last minute specials, so I called P&O.

The girl I spoke to said you could book up to "preferrably at least 24 hrs before sailing!" She also said sometimes there are really good deals and sometimes not, depending on the passenger capacity at that time.

Not sure if that is still correct now, but that is what I call last minute!!!!!

Catherine

Archived