A little off the subject...Is anyone out there from Savannah??

luvmygirlz

Tybee Island also has a very old lighthouse which will give you a good workout if you climb to the top.

Paula Deen's brother Bubba's place is on the road to Tybee Island and is a pretty good seafood/barbecue/steaks place. My middle son lived on Tybee Island, in Savannah, and on Hilton Head Island for about 20 years and was an executive chef at Hilton Head. He recommended Bubba's. He now lives on Galveston Island.

From Tybee Island, it's about a 10-minute boat ride to Hilton Head, but it takes an hour by road. Hilton Head is about 25 miles from Savannah and has some excellent restaurants. I lived there for several years.

Tybee Island also has a very old lighthouse which will give you a good workout if you climb to the top.

Paula Deen's brother Bubba's place is on the road to Tybee Island and is a pretty good seafood/barbecue/steaks place. My middle son lived on Tybee Island' date=' in Savannah, and on Hilton Head Island for about 20 years and was an executive chef at Hilton Head. He recommended Bubba's. He now lives on Galveston Island.

From Tybee Island, it's about a 10-minute boat ride to Hilton Head, but it takes an hour by road. Hilton Head is about 25 miles from Savannah and has some excellent restaurants. I lived there for several years.[/quote']

Is there a ferry that you can take from Tybee Island to Hilton Head?

I

AS someone said, you are right there next to Hunter Army Airfeild but I wouldnt plan an excursion there. DH is active duty military and he is stationed there. I can say it is the most boring post we have ever been to. Thank goodness we bought a house offpost!:rolleyes: Not much flying over as someone stated. Even though Army, Marines, and even the coast guard is stationed there, its a VERY SMALL post. And so many are still overseas. You might get to see a helicopter doing a training mission flying overhead or a small plane but not much action at Hunter.

It's true that it's been awhile since we lodged near the Airfield. It was in April of 2005 when we stayed at a hotel off Eisenhower next to Hunter Airfield, so maybe things have changed. But there were so many airplanes flying into and out of that base that most of the hotel guests were seated around the pool (too cold for swimming) to watch! The airplanes were huge, or it could have just appeared that way because they were so low to the ground. haha Maybe something special was going on that weekend. We still go to Savannah every year, but we choose a hotel in the historic district. No matter what, the OP is sure to have a great time. We love that town.

Is there a ferry that you can take from Tybee Island to Hilton Head?

I'm not sure. There may not be, although I'm sure there would be boats available to hire to take you across since it's such a short ride. It seems like Tybee was just across the inlet from Harbortown in Sea Pines.

Archived