SS Norway

• 4 weeks later...

:) Norway had 4 stabilizers! Two things that I likrd about the ship was the theater, and the fact that all passageway carpets had different colours to denote for and aft. At over 1000 ft this saved me avery long walk one time. It is a pity that all cruise ships do not do this. Otherwise I hated the ship,and sugested in my comment card in 1999 that she be 'put to sleep'. john taylor

• 2 months later...

I was on the Norway in Jan. 2000 and we absolutely loved her! Again she was definately old and had elevators that only went up so far and held about four people but she was a classic.

Again, since we cruise up to five times a year, we are always looking for a bargain. I found just that on the Norway, we booked a bunk bed cabin (this was our first and for the price, we would do again) at $660 total for the week for both of us out the door.

She did have things we hated about her like the dining room. It was in the center of the ship with no windows and you had to go down a huge flight of stairs to get in there. It was like eating in the basement. I found it so loud with chatter and dishes clanking every where that we went to the dining room the first night and never went back.

We made reservations at their speciality resturant The Bistro. Boy, it was the greatest find. For only $10 a pp we had a peaceful dinner cooked to order, sitting by a window while listening to a man play the piano. We ate there the second night and every night after, we never went back to the dining room again! It was well worth the $120 we paid out extra to eat there.

The room was exactly like they said bunkbeds but it was to our suprise pretty big. We like to travel and don't like to run out of clean clothes while on vacation so we pack as much as we want. And when we unpacked it all fit into a wardrobe closet and one dresser with five drawers. The bathroom was half the size of the room and one of the biggest we have ever seen on a ship other than the suite on the Voyager of the Seas!

I have to add she didn't sail that voyage without problems either. We were to make a stop in St. Marteen for the day and the day before arrival to that island over breakfast, they annouce that the ship was running on one engine and at that moment we weren't even moving and that there was no way we were going to make it to St. Marteen that next day but that they would try and subsitute another island. Which they did, the next day we spent a whole day in St. John's, which was not on the itinerary. So that was nice. But I guess she was doomed back then and didn't even know it.

So to cut it short, I loved her and was sorry she had an accident and had to be put to rest. But she will always remain a fond memory in my heart.

I just hope that she isn't sold for scrap metal.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived