Ketchikan Tours ???

Has any one taken the Rainforest Wildlife Sancturary tour in Ketchikan and is it worth it?

Thank you all for your input on the coffee--it really helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=816383

Ketchikan- we booked Family Air to go to see the bears at Anan Creek. It was raining and windy when we arrived to the port. We went to wait for our pilot, he came and told us it was too windy to fly that day and he had to cancel our tour as well as the later tours. I was so upset, because that was all I was waiting for for this trip. After shedding a few tears we ran aboard the ship and booked the Rainforest Sanctuary tour, and a few minutes later we were on the bus heading out. We arrived and we went on a short hike through the forest, as our guide pointed out areas of interest. As we approached the river we began to walk on the wooden bridge path and there were 2 bald eagles sitting there on the ledge. One was an adult, the other was a juvenile bird. As we approached, they flew off into the trees. Then we saw a bird eating the grass down below, near the river. Across the river a large group was yelling towards the bear, so the bear ran towards our path! Our guide could not find where the bear went- she was trying to see if he was on our footpath, or if he went under. She hit the foot path a few times in case he was under there (apparently they dont like the vibrations made). After a few minutes, and no sign of the bear, we moved on. We then walked to were they have reindeer in a pen, where we could feed them and pet them! That was fun. After returning to the pier we ate lunch down at Creek Street and then walked around town buying souvenirs.

Thanks for the information and it sure sounds like you had a wonderful time. The guide book makes it sound very interesting and from what you said you saw I think we will be in for a great trip. Thank you again.

I apologize for miss guiding you. I simply copied this information from someone else's review and pasted it here for you to read.

My parents and I took this excursion back in June 2008 and it ranks as one of the top 2 experiences that we had on the Alaskan cruise. I did not know what to do in Ketchikan so I booked this tour because I thought the price was right and I wanted to explore and hike a bit. I thought that perhaps I had made a mistake as my dad looked a little bored on the hike at first, but everything was really interesting to me and my mom. We came to the end of the trail and noticed plantlife uprooted and fresh bear scat (doo). I didnt think anything of it because I just thought that we booked a hike and had not expected to see any kind of bear in Alaska in June.

Our group stepped onto the wooden walkway and the guide started to talk about the salmon hatchery and the bears that come by. My dad said "There is a bear". I remember it was like slow motion as I spun around and reached for my camera. A smaller bear being chased by a medium sized bear just came upon the group. For a minute it seemed like something out of an old cartoon as they stopped and looked at us and we looked at them. The older bear stood on his back legs and the smaller bear ran under the walkway and back toward the forest. The medium sized bear just looked at us for awhile then got down on his four legs and walked to a group of bushes while our small group took photos.

Our guide said "Look there is an eagle". I thought yeah, I have seen them before. I am more focused on this bear. Then another person said "There is another eagle". Soon there were eight that I could count and three of them appeared to be fighting. There were feathers falling from the sky near us.

So I turned around and started to take some more pictures of the bear when a big bear came out of the forest near the beginning of the trail and started to chase the medium bear and tussle with him. They then disappeared in the area where the small bear fled.

We then walked and fed the reindeer and watched a master totem carver at work. On the bus ride back, our driver paused at an active eagles nest with an adult and with my binoculars, I was able to see one eaglet.

This was an excellent tour for us and all three of us enjoyed it.

Just went there this past week. Saw a black bear-- got to about 20 feet from us before the ranger got a little nervous for us :D

Several bald eagles in the trees. They also have an awesome owl in captivity, the reindeer as someone mentioned, and 2 cute friendly cats hanging around. I loved it, highly recommend it.

My parents and I took this excursion back in June 2008 and it ranks as one of the top 2 experiences that we had on the Alaskan cruise. I did not know what to do in Ketchikan so I booked this tour because I thought the price was right and I wanted to explore and hike a bit. I thought that perhaps I had made a mistake as my dad looked a little bored on the hike at first, but everything was really interesting to me and my mom. We came to the end of the trail and noticed plantlife uprooted and fresh bear scat (doo). I didnt think anything of it because I just thought that we booked a hike and had not expected to see any kind of bear in Alaska in June.

Our group stepped onto the wooden walkway and the guide started to talk about the salmon hatchery and the bears that come by. My dad said "There is a bear". I remember it was like slow motion as I spun around and reached for my camera. A smaller bear being chased by a medium sized bear just came upon the group. For a minute it seemed like something out of an old cartoon as they stopped and looked at us and we looked at them. The older bear stood on his back legs and the smaller bear ran under the walkway and back toward the forest. The medium sized bear just looked at us for awhile then got down on his four legs and walked to a group of bushes while our small group took photos.

Our guide said "Look there is an eagle". I thought yeah, I have seen them before. I am more focused on this bear. Then another person said "There is another eagle". Soon there were eight that I could count and three of them appeared to be fighting. There were feathers falling from the sky near us.

So I turned around and started to take some more pictures of the bear when a big bear came out of the forest near the beginning of the trail and started to chase the medium bear and tussle with him. They then disappeared in the area where the small bear fled.

We then walked and fed the reindeer and watched a master totem carver at work. On the bus ride back, our driver paused at an active eagles nest with an adult and with my binoculars, I was able to see one eaglet.

This was an excellent tour for us and all three of us enjoyed it.

Well from what you have seen I'm keeping our tour:) Thanks for the information. :D

Just went there this past week. Saw a black bear-- got to about 20 feet from us before the ranger got a little nervous for us :D

Several bald eagles in the trees. They also have an awesome owl in captivity, the reindeer as someone mentioned, and 2 cute friendly cats hanging around. I loved it, highly recommend it.

Bald eagles, black bears and reindeer what more can a person ask for--we are going--Thanks:D

Archived