Gem Review - July 20 - 27 Loved it!

ljrfrm

Just off today so I thought I'd write this while it's fresh. I'll keep it brief since I know there's been a lot of reviews lately - hopefully this will help someone.

Embarkation: Quick and simple. For anyone who wants a cheap way to arrive - take the bus or Metro to Plaza Catalunya. We took the metro and there were plenty of taxis there when we got out. The taxi cost us 7 euros to the ship plus 1 euro extra for each suitcase. We arrived at the port around noon. I had a carry on with 3 bottles of wine. I was prepared to pay the corkage fee but nobody cared I had them. Once onboard, our steward brought us two glasses and the corkscrew so we were good to go. We were on the ship less than 15 minutes after the taxi dropped us off.

Cabin: PERFECT! Boy did we ever luck out. Cabin 10668 had a fantastic balcony. Most of the balconies had just two chairs and the small table. We had that but also two loungers and another small table and still had room to walk around. It is an aft cabin and we had the best views each day leaving port. Malta was the best! Our room stewards were amazing, knew our name the first day and never left us needing anything. I've never traveled with a balcony before, and don't see myself going back.

Crew: All I can say was amazing. I commented to my husband several times through the week that not one crew member walked by me or I didn't pass a single crew member who didn't smile, say hi and ask me how I was, how my day was going, or if I needed anything. Even if it was someone I had never seen before. Everyone seemed happy, cheerful and enjoying themselves, which is hard to believing knowing that they are doing this day in/day out every single week. I was very impressed. From our wonderful room stewards to Sammy at Tequila's, Domingo in the Spinnaker Lounge to Andres from Chile on the cruise staff, we had fun getting to know many of them.

Food: We were happy with everything. Our ship was at capacity and we never had difficulty with a reservation or waiting for a table when just showing up. That being said, we learned early on to eat a bit earlier. As I'd say at least 1/2 the passengers were European, mostly Spanish, most passengers seemed to eat between 9 and 10 pm. We ate before them, and attended the later shows while they were eating. This worked, service was great and never any waits. We ate at Le Bistro (our best meal of the week) and I loved the beef tenderloin and the chocolate fondue. We also ate at Cagney's, Tequila's, both main dining rooms, Blue Lagoon and the buffet. We never had a bad meal - some where better than others but all were good. My only complaint (minor and easily solved) was our meal at Tequila's. We ordered the Il Popo for two - we laughed when it came as the was supposedly a meal for two people - it came with two pieces of steak, two of chicken, probably about a tablespoon of cheese and two tortillas. Obviously this was easily solved as we just asked for more tortillas and cheese. I'm just stating this in case you order it you might was to ask for extras from the start. The quality of the meat though was yummy!

Shows/Activities: We went to every show and enjoyed them all. Some were a bit weaker than others but we had fun just the same. We loved the Second City show but was unimpressed with the Improv show later in the week. As I love all the songs, the 70s show called "Get Down Tonight" was my favorite from the Gem singers/dancers. They performed three times. We attended many activities included martini clinic, murder mystery dinner, Newlywed Game, Bingo (of course I didn't win - never do) Dance contest with the crew (Claudio and his passenger partner won - he's quite the dancer! We later learned that this was Claudio's final cruise as they said Goodbye to him at the Farewell Show. We also enjoyed the band that played by the pool at Sail Away each day.

Passengers: I love cruising because you meet the best people from everywhere. Our murder mystery friends from Australia (hi Chief Wiki Wiki), the minister from LA, the couple from the martini clinic and tons of other people. Everyone was friendly and in a good mood, just there to have fun. It made for a great atmoshere. Obviously you had your chair hogs (drove me crazy- although there was always a chair to be found somewhere) and the pushy people, but they were far outnumbered by fun people.

Ports: Malta: On our own just walking around. Lots of stores for shopping and a nice atmoshere. Take the cheap bus up the hill to town if you don't want to walk it. It's a quick, easy walk back down to the ship after.

Naples: We took the half day to Pompeii tour. It was nice. I had planned to do Capri on our own but we ended up wanting to sleep late. I wish I had gone there, but did enjoy Pompeii.

Civ: We took the day off and relazed. When you leave the port shuttle bus, there's a beach right there on your right. It's rocky and not the best, but it's decent and close. We walked around a bit and spent time on the ship lounging by the pool. We took advantage of the port special, and I had a great hot stone massage in the pm.

Livorno: We did Pisa on our own. We enjoyed it. I just posted clear directions on the ports of call board if anyone wants to see exactly how to get to the train station. It's been asked and answered tons of times but sometimes it's nice to have it up top and not have to search so hopefully it will help someone.

Villefranche: No issues with tendering for us as we slept in and tendered around 10 am or so. We walked around, had some coffee and shopped. Then went back to the ship by 1 pm and lounged by the pool again. Loved the port, wish we had more time there.

Debarkation: We didn't feel like packing and placing bags out last night so we just carried our bags off ourselves. We slept in today until around 7:30 and ate a leisurely breakfast at the Grand Pacific. After we went back to the room to finish packing and left the ship around 9:15. Plenty of taxis.

Hope this is helpful to someone as you were all so helpful to me. Please let me know if you have any questions. This trip for us was more about relaxing and enjoying the ship than the ports. Somehow we still came home exhausted. I will also add that my hands have never been cleaner and more germ free in my life - the hand sanitizers are everywhere. Despite that, I somehow managed to come down with a horrible cold. I'm convinced it's from the bus in Malta, as I think my fellow passeners hands must have been as clean as mine! I guess it's better being sick today than on the ship!

Cabin 10168 had loungers - I saw them as we talked to the couple next door. You will love the cabin - make sure to have your camera ready as you leave Malta.

We had the murder mystery dinner on Tuesday. Check the dailies on Monday - your day at sea. They announced the sign-ups for during your sea day in the library from 10:15 - 10:45 or something like that. They take up to 60 people, and you have to meet on Tuesday (after leaving Malta) in the Stardust Theater at 5 pm to head to the Grand Pacific for the dinner at 5:30. They divide you up into tables/groups of 6 for the dinner and you go at your own pace - eating and playing. We only had two groups of 6. They don't put it in the dailies at all for Tuesday - so make sure not to miss the sign-up on Monday.

Just thought of two more things I forgot to put in my review.

1) Laundry. They offered on Wed. the "all you can stuff in a laundry bag" special for $20. As we had tons of dirty clothes from traveling prior to the cruise, we stuffed at least $50 worth of clothes into that bag. With creative stuffing, you can get a lot in there! They need to be left by Thursday at noon. They tell you that you won't get the clothes back until Saturday turn-down service but we had everything back and hanging in our closet Saturday morning. It worked out great for us, as now I have clean clothes to last me until Friday when we fly home.

2) Romance Package. It was perfect! We had the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us when we boarded. Wednesday was our anniversary so we used the Le Bistro option that night with the bottle of wine. The canapes were delivered Tuesday at 4 pm and were fresh and actually really good. The cake party was Saturday at 4 pm. We didn't attend as it was the same time as the free cruise raffle, which you had to be present to win. I just knew I was going to win so we went - somehow thought they made a mistake and didn't pick my ticket. Not sure how that happened but oh well. I was able to pick an alternative 5x7 photo instead since I didnt attend the party. The letter you get will say $5 off a larger photo but if you ask, they will let you take a 5x7 for free.

Hope this helps.......

Thank you ljrfrm! It really does help. I have a friend who went on the July 13 cruise and she faxed me the front page of the Dailies. On her copies there was no mention of the Murder Mystery Dinner. I'll keep a sharp eye for it on our cruise.

Hers did mention the laundry special - which also sounds like a great deal to me too. Especially if you've been traveling before hand.

I also booked the Romance Package for all 3 couples traveling. Not only is it a great deal but we're all celebrating anniversaries too.

Thank you again for all the information - I'm now getting organized and v. excited for our cruise.

Gull

We are leaving in 10 days for the August 10 cruise. can't wait. I have questions about getting taxi's and where the train stations are. You were going to post but cannot find the posting. We plan on walking and taking buses in Malta, hydrofoil to Capri and Sorrento, train to Rome to do on our own as the Vatican Museum and sistine chapel are closed for the Holy day. We plan on taking the train to Pisa then Florence and do those on our own. VilleFranche- not sure what is there and what to do??????

Taxis in Malta- will they take Euros.

Train- when buying tickets can you charge on credit card or is it cash only in the vending machine.

thanks for your help in advance

We are leaving in 10 days for the August 10 cruise. can't wait. I have questions about getting taxi's and where the train stations are. You were going to post but cannot find the posting. We plan on walking and taking buses in Malta, hydrofoil to Capri and Sorrento, train to Rome to do on our own as the Vatican Museum and sistine chapel are closed for the Holy day. We plan on taking the train to Pisa then Florence and do those on our own. VilleFranche- not sure what is there and what to do??????

Taxis in Malta- will they take Euros.

Train- when buying tickets can you charge on credit card or is it cash only in the vending machine.

thanks for your help in advance

Sorry you couldn't find my Pisa post, I forgot I put it inside another thread to answer someone else's question. I copied it and will paste it here for you. As we bought our tickets at the tobacco shop, I don't know about credit cards at the train station. Someone else may know - we paid in cash.

It was very easy to get to the train station. The port shuttle drops you off at the Piazza Grande. Just cross the street and you will see a Tobacco shop with a big sign in english saying Bus Tickets. Cross and buy your bus and train tickets there - you can buy round trip. Then walk to the Piazza (its right across the street, you'll see it) and go stand right in front of the cathedral, which is where bus #1 stops. You need to validate your bus ticket in the machine as you board the bus (use the lower slot, the upper slot is for the passes). There will be a lighted sign over the driver that tells you all the stops. Just go to Stazione Central ( I may have got the spelling wrong on that one!). The train schedules are printed and framed in several places around the wall. Validate your train ticket in the yellow machine that's on the tracks where you're waiting. Nobody checked either direction if the tickets were validated or not - but better safe than sorry. Pisa should be your first train stop - at least it was for us. It only took about 15 min. or so and the train was on time both directions. We only went to Pisa so I can't help you past there. Roundtrip bus and train tickets for two was 13 euros total.

As for your other questions, in each port there will be someone meeting you and offering you maps and to answer your questions. When you get to Malta, the lady will give you a map and circle the bus station, shopping district, the market and tourist attractions so it made touring on our own very easy. The bus was 1 euro and you catch it right across the street. There will be a man there helping you. It really isn't a long walk at all to town, just uphill so most people took the bus. They take euros in Malta so no problem paying Euros by taxi.

I can't help you with Rome as we didn't do anything outside of the port area.

As for Villefranche, after you tender, they have an information desk in the building where you are dropped off. The train station is a short walk - you will see it on the map you get but it's off to the right up the hill a bit. Very close and easy to find.

The hydrofoils for Capri are right there at the port, if you are looking at the ship and the terminal they are on your right. There were several companies and a bunch of ferries running - not sure the times though as we decided to not do Capri at the last minute.

Hope this helps......

Thank you ljrfrm! It really does help. I have a friend who went on the July 13 cruise and she faxed me the front page of the Dailies. On her copies there was no mention of the Murder Mystery Dinner. I'll keep a sharp eye for it on our cruise.

Hers did mention the laundry special - which also sounds like a great deal to me too. Especially if you've been traveling before hand.

I also booked the Romance Package for all 3 couples traveling. Not only is it a great deal but we're all celebrating anniversaries too.

Thank you again for all the information - I'm now getting organized and v. excited for our cruise.

Gull

No problem. It was a bit hard to find. It wasn't on the first page where the put the shows and the main activities for the day, but on the second to last page where they list all the activities throughout the day. I just got in the habit of reading everything so we wouldn't miss anything.

We had originally planned to do our own laundry, but didn't feel like it as we were having too much fun to stop and wash!

Just thought of two more things I forgot to put in my review.

1) Laundry. They offered on Wed. the "all you can stuff in a laundry bag" special for $20. As we had tons of dirty clothes from traveling prior to the cruise, we stuffed at least $50 worth of clothes into that bag. With creative stuffing, you can get a lot in there! They need to be left by Thursday at noon. They tell you that you won't get the clothes back until Saturday turn-down service but we had everything back and hanging in our closet Saturday morning. It worked out great for us, as now I have clean clothes to last me until Friday when we fly home.

Hope this helps.......

Can you share with me what "creative stuffing" is? I want to get as much as possible in that little bag and I will need all the help I can get! Thanks :D

Thank you so much for your review. We leave on 7/31 for our cruise starting 8/3. I am getting very anxious, there is so much to remember and reading reviews like this always help me out. We are bringing our 4 children (24 to 6) and I was very concerned about the laundry issue. I am going to try and wing it on the tours (b/c the ship tours seem so expensive and also the older kids dont want to get up!) so all this info is incredibly helpful.

Can you share with me what "creative stuffing" is? I want to get as much as possible in that little bag and I will need all the help I can get! Thanks :D

Ha - well, we tried it a couple times and what worked best for us was to just stuff it, and fill in the gaps/holes as we were going with socks, underwear, shorts and t-shirts, depending on the size of the gap. And, then just fill 'er up to the top! It's amazing how much you can get in one bag if you work at it :)

Thank you so much for your review. We leave on 7/31 for our cruise starting 8/3. I am getting very anxious, there is so much to remember and reading reviews like this always help me out. We are bringing our 4 children (24 to 6) and I was very concerned about the laundry issue. I am going to try and wing it on the tours (b/c the ship tours seem so expensive and also the older kids dont want to get up!) so all this info is incredibly helpful.

No problem. I am enjoying that I can now help others, as I lived on this site during the weeks leading up to the cruise, and got a lot of advice from others. Have a great cruise! Don't worry about the ports, as I said, there will be someone at each port that speaks English, has maps and can guide you. If you don't want to do Rome, you can just spend some time at the beach right where the shuttle drops you off, same in Villefranche. We met several people that had great days with local taxi drivers also. We refused to wake up too early each morning. For Malta and Villefranche, we set the alarm for 8:30 and the other days at 9:00 am. And, we loved getting out of bed each morning and opening the curtains - not knowing what we would see. Our favorite morning was Villefranche, it was beautiful. Other ports, not so pretty.

Archived