Destiny / Southern Caribbean / July 13 / review and photos!

Queen B1

Gail811 - Thanks! As I was traveling with my sweet 83 year old Mom, we booked all of our tours through Carnival and were met at the pier for each. We did shop at the port stores when available. Since almost all of these ports were new to us, we wanted to choose tours that would give us a sense of what the islands were each like - sightseeing tours were the way to go for us. The guides taught us so much about each one, and, as you can see, the vistas were breathtaking! Snorkling, beach excursions, etc. were very popular, but we went in a different direction from those.

Gail 811 : It seems that each tour (with the exception of the St. Kitts railway tour) took you to the highest points on each island for those panoramic views of the coast- those are listed under the tour descriptions. I wouldn't want to miss any of those. You actually traveled into the hills with those excursions. On St. Kitts the train took you around the island between the mountains and the coast. It was stunning to gaze to your left and see volcanic mountains and then to your right and see the coast . As older ladies, the tours were the perfect way for my mother and me to see it all! Hopefully, the photos help you experience what we did. You younger folks might want more action - water activities,etc.

Carnival Game - Thanks!

We did forget cell phone info. in our review so let me include it now! We have our service through Alltell. It worked perfectly in San Juan and in St. Thomas whether on the ship or on either island. At all other ports, we couldn't get a signal anywhere ( aboard ship or on land ). Once the Destiny pulled away from the ports (but before it docked the next morning at a new one), we could get a signal.

Here are a few more photos to share with you. These are of the actual port areas where we docked.

The back of the ship where we enjoyed eating especially when the ship was moving, and you could see the wake. That is the harbor of St. Thomas in the background.

2733993260103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

This is Dominica's harbor/pier, and the photo was taken from the port side of the ship.

2799345410103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

This is the Barbados pier area and was taken from the port side of the ship.

2879687730103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

This is the pier area at St. Lucia, and the photo was taken from the starboard side of the ship.

2011432650103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

This is the port area of Antigua as photographed from the port side of the ship.

2039331620103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

This is the harbor area at St. Kitts, and the ship pulled straight in and docked to the right of the pier.

2032476610103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

Queen B1,

Thanks for the detailed review and great pictures. It brought back great memories. Mrs. BCfan and I celebrated our 25th anniversary on Destiny in Dec. 2005. The ports were different then: St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, and Aruba with 2 sea days. The Southern Caribbean is beautiful, but that new itinerary is just too busy for us.

We were on verandah also. 8189, a balcony cabin just down the hall from you. Destiny's bathrooms are much roomier than Glory's, especially the shower.

We used Luggage express last Dec after our Glory cruise. I too would highly recommend it. The only difference is that we placed our luggage out the night before debarkation and we did not see it again until we arrived in Boston.

Glad you and your Mother enjoyed your cruise. Destiny is a wonderful ship. I'm thinking of doing a BtoB on her when she moves to Miami.

Happy cruising!!

Jerry

caribbeanBoy - Destiny's captain is Giuseppe Giusa. His family happened to be on the ship with us the week we traveled. In fact, one day while in port and as we were standing on our balcony, we could see him giving his son a piggy-back ride around the bridge. We loved it!

BCfan - WOW! Not having to handle your luggage at all after Sat. night would have been even better!

rebeljohn - Thank you! It was our pleasure!

beachgirl - The last 5 photos I posted (post # 31) were all taken from our balcony - the port/harbor views! Almost all of the others were taken while we were on the Carnival sponsored sight-seeing island excursions. The scenery was breathtaking, wasn't it! We're so happy that you'll be traveling on the Destiny soon and know you'll love her as much as we did!

The following photos were all taken while we were still docked at the terminal in San Juan. They were all taken from our starboard side balcony on embarkation day.

This looks back over the peninsula of Old San Juan. You can see the ocean right above the buildings.

2523440380103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

This photo looks up the harbor towards the newer parts of San Juan. You can see the Adventure of the Seas docked at her pier.

2667639940103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

I zoomed in on the Adventure of the Seas.

2494286230103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

This is a view of the San Juan harbor as you looked to the right from our balcony

2754610810103400422S425x425Q85.jpg

Your review was so detailed and well written. Thanks especially for the photos. I feel as though I have already been there, and we don't set sail until December!! Looking forward to the Southern Carribean, it's our first cruise. We visit the same ports on the Victory. We plan on using the luggage express, it seems it'll give us a little extra time in old town San Juan. Our flights have been changed three times already, so we'll wait and see............

Again thanks.

Missygirl and SecondComing - The itinerary is truly incredible with views beyond belief! As beautiful as the photos are, they don't begin to reflect what it's like to actually be there in person! We wish you each a wonderful time on your upcoming cruises.

That was one of the most detailed reviews I have ever had the pleasure of reading! We are going to the new Eastern Carib itin out of Miami on Destiny May 2009, and I am getting more excited by the day! :rolleyes:

What an excellent review!! Thanks for it and for the beautiful pictures.

We're doing the same itinerary in March on the Victory and your review got me all revved up again for it! :D

We were having a tough time deciding whether or not to take a 12 noon or 4 pm return flight. After reading about your embarkation day, I'm glad we opted for the 4 pm. I think I'd rather wait around then end my vacation in an absolute panic worrying about missing my flight home.

Thanks again! It was much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! We tried to include lots of information that we had questions about before we left on the Destiny!

michiganirish - Yes, they do offer On Deck for the Cure. There was an announcement about it in the capers we received on the Sunday of embarkation day. The walk was held Thursday ( St. Lucia day ) at 5:00.

Carolinamamasita - I'm going to have to check and make sure we still have the excursion price list. It might take a few days since my mom has all of the sheets, etc. that we collected at her home! I'll try to let you know through this thread!

Archived