I have given up on the Sky.

burrellch

I routinely hear about hiccups and/or problems when a ship comes out of a refurb, but just how bad, honestly, is the problem on Norwegian Sky? I'm very interested to know if there is an official response from NCL's corporate office regarding the problems.

Reviews of NCL's ships range from "awful" to "excellent", quite often with such varied reviews being submitted for the same cruise. Most likely the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

We leave monday for our cruise on the Sky, and I just don't know what to think. I have called twice and they have "Assured" me that our cabins are not affected with the A/C or plumbing problems. But, can I really believe them. We are staying on deck 10 in two cabins 0017 and 0018. They will not let us cancel without losing all of our money! So I guess we are stuck. Any advise???

Go have fun. We are on the 4day 8/11 and we are hoping for the best. If you could do us all a favor please post a review when you get back for I have not seen any 4 day reviews yet. We are in 9037, here's hoping this cabin is good to go.

I have 3 cabins booked for our group of 7 family members for the August 15th sailing (5 of them new to NCL and cruising). Honestly, I'm not very concerned, however, I understand that a number of posters had bad experiences with the first couple sailings, and there are certainly some problem cabins.

In light of that, I emailed 3 of NCL's executives last night just to make sure our cabins weren't impacted. The last thing I want is for 5 family members new to cruising to be turned off by a bad experience.

I was contacted via phone this morning from the executive office and was assured that my 3 cabins were not impacted (8018, 8019, and 8113 for those keeping tabs). NCL also reiterated that they are proactively moving passengers pre-cruise that are booked in the affected cabins or areas to different parts of the ship. As for A/C in the public areas, according to her, those issues have been resolved.

I'm fairly confident that NCL has made the right corrective actions, and am looking forward to another fun cruise on NCL.

Who did you contact at NCL to check on your cabins? I'm sailing on the 15th as well and would like to check on my cabin. Do you have an e-mail address or did you just call the mail number on the NCL website?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Just got word-30 cabins are out of service and rooms are being fixed by the day.

Thanks James for providing the update. I believe that NCL is working as hard/fast as they can to resolve the problems on the Sky.

I am cancelling an upcoming cruise we booked with NCL on Sky due to the negative reviews on this website AS WELL AS the facts a little detective work highlighted for me.

It seems that Sky, which was previously sailed in Hawaii as Pride of Aloha does not have the best track record for cleanliness. Has anyone noticed that the CDC rating posted on the Cruise Critic website is 78!! Totally unacceptable - this ship should not even be accepting passengers until NCL cleans it up and the CDC gives it an acceptable rating. The CDC rating of 78 was issued in May 2008 - right before the ship was taken out of service in Hawaii. NCL planned to sell this ship to their sister company, Star Cruises. This plan fell through - although NCL is still trying to unload the ship.

Bottom line, there is NO RECORD of the CDC boarding, inspecting or giving a higher or acceptable rating to Sky since their last report in late May of 2008.

I cannot believe NCL is trying to put this one off on people. Shameful.

I have called NCL and gotten the same run around everyone else has - "we have taken the affected rooms out of our inventory"........ok - how about taking the affected SHIP out of their inventory. How can they get away with this? When I read the CDC report written in May of this year it made me sick to my stomach.

NCL is trying to squeeze some last minute dollars out of a ship that they should have left in dry dock until the CDC gave it a clean bill of health. I cannot even believe that this is legal.

Shame, shame!!!

I am cancelling an upcoming cruise we booked with NCL on Sky due to the negative reviews on this website AS WELL AS the facts a little detective work highlighted for me.

It seems that Sky, which was previously sailed in Hawaii as Pride of Aloha does not have the best track record for cleanliness. Has anyone noticed that the CDC rating posted on the Cruise Critic website is 78!! Totally unacceptable - this ship should not even be accepting passengers until NCL cleans it up and the CDC gives it an acceptable rating. The CDC rating of 78 was issued in May 2008 - right before the ship was taken out of service in Hawaii. NCL planned to sell this ship to their sister company, Star Cruises. This plan fell through - although NCL is still trying to unload the ship.

Bottom line, there is NO RECORD of the CDC boarding, inspecting or giving a higher or acceptable rating to Sky since their last report in late May of 2008.

I have called NCL and gotten the same run around everyone else has - "we have taken the affected rooms out of our inventory"........ok - how about taking the affected SHIP out of their inventory. How can they get away with this? When I read the CDC report written in May of this year it made me sick to my stomach.

NCL is trying to squeeze some last minute dollars out of a ship that they should have left in dry dock until the CDC gave it a clean bill of health. I cannot even believe that this is legal.

Shame, shame!!!

I wonder if CDC even knows about the problems. If they inspected the ship in May, then she probably won't be due for another inspection for 6-9 months.

But I do agree, that I would be surprised if CDC would allow the ship to sail with non functioning toilets and flooding toilets. (can we say mold.....)

I wonder if CDC even knows of these problems. Is there a way to make a report to CDC and ask them to investigate??

I have already made a call to the CDC and left a message. I was horrified when I realized the history and read the actual CDC report. The website for the CDC has a link to a Green Sheet that lists all the cruise ships and their latest rating and date of inspection. Sky does not appear as well as Pride of Aloha. Very strange, and I believe an oversight by the CDC due to the ever changing plans NCL has had for the ship in the past months.

Shame, shame!!!

Very interesting, I did a search to get this report but the search engine is down on CC.

I also did a search on the CDC website a few days ago but got nothing for the Sky, Pride of aloha or NCLA.

Can you tell me what you put into CC search engine to get it and also I'd appreciated it you would see if you can find anything on the cdc site. Thanks.

If you are interested in the Cruise Critic Article about CDC and Pride of Aloha - click on the "News" link at the Cruise Critic website - then go to archived news and then the 5/1/2008 Article "NCL's Pride of Aloha Fails Inspection". There is a link in the article that takes you to the CDC inspection report.

All of you who have played detective and took the time to research this, congrats. You are helping so many people who have made or are ready to make plans to cruise on the sky. When I was planning my trip on the Dawn, I would have cancelled if I saw the issues that are now on the Sky.

Some people save for years for a nice vacation and they should not have to take a chance of sewage and no a/c. Even if there is a whiff of sewage in the common areas, that is unacceptable.

Thanks again to all those spending valuable time and educating the rest of us.

Does anyone (OhioNCLCruiser?) know how a ship is certified as safe and seaworthy? (and clean, also)? I could be wrong, but I think CDC doesn't actually do inspections, but tracks information and investigates outbreaks...not sure it's the appropriate agency to contact, but not sure which one is.

Anyway, Gatorphin, I really understand your frustration, I really do. BUT, I find I have to take some of the postings here with a grain of salt, both the really good as well as really bad. Some people have had really awful experiences on the Sky, some really good and both points of view are valid because they are based on the posters' experience. Frankly, some of the really negative ones seem to be more venting than review, and that's OK. I can only imagine what I'd say or do if I had no toilets or AC. But it's snowballed out of control. I find nastiness and insults lower the believeability (?) factor. I do hope all this is resolved ASAP for all future cruisers, and wish I were one of them!

If you are interested in the Cruise Critic Article about CDC and Pride of Aloha - click on the "News" link at the Cruise Critic website - then go to archived news and then the 5/1/2008 Article "NCL's Pride of Aloha Fails Inspection". There is a link in the article that takes you to the CDC inspection report.

Much thanks I'm going search now.

For those of you who have an agenda against the Sky, would you please leave it alone so the rest of us (who have chosen to sail on her) can enjoy our vacation. If you choose to cancel, then fine, that is your business, but please leave the CDC and every other agency out of the equation. They really have BETTER and MORE IMPORTANT issues than a ship with 30 cabins out of service. Like another poster said....EVERY CRUISE SHIP HAS PLUMBING ISSUES!! It is the nature of the beast and comes with the territory.

You guys really make it sound like there is raw sewage flowing down the hallways and into the common areas. Come on, get over it...especially if you are not sailing on that ship.

Here goes the hysteria again....

For those of you who have an agenda against the Sky, would you please leave it alone so the rest of us (who have chosen to sail on her) can enjoy our vacation. If you choose to cancel, then fine, that is your business, but please leave the CDC and every other agency out of the equation. They really have BETTER and MORE IMPORTANT issues than a ship with 30 cabins out of service. Like another poster said....EVERY CRUISE SHIP HAS PLUMBING ISSUES!! It is the nature of the beast and comes with the territory.

You guys really make it sound like there is raw sewage flowing down the hallways and into the common areas. Come on, get over it...especially if you are not sailing on that ship.

Here goes the hysteria again....

I noticed that you are sailing on the Sky on the 4th. Could you give a quick update when you get back? I'm sailing on the 15th and I have to admit, the hysteria does have me a little worried. I'm pretty much a go with the flow traveler, but its my friend's 40th birthday AND its her first cruise so a little re-assurance will go a long way.

Absolutely!! Now I am going with an open mind and I am sure I will run into some problems somewhere. But I don't expect to find the extreme issues like what some on here would expect to find.

Please remember the CDC reports are from when the ship was Pride of Aloha. Things have changed and I expect them to be improved. I really don't think it is a fair comparison.

I am lookign forward to my cruise and will update (and I will be fair when I do it) everyone when I get home.

I noticed that you are sailing on the Sky on the 4th. Could you give a quick update when you get back? I'm sailing on the 15th and I have to admit, the hysteria does have me a little worried. I'm pretty much a go with the flow traveler, but its my friend's 40th birthday AND its her first cruise so a little re-assurance will go a long way.

We're on the 8/15 sailing with you. Personally, I'm not at all concerned. I spoke with a women from the Executive office and was re-assured that our cabins were not impacted, A?C is working in the common areas, and the affected cabins with plumbing issues have been closed off from guests.

As for the CDC scores, considering they were prior to the 5 week wet dock, I don't think they have much relavence.

Don't let the postings of a few bad experiences temper your enthusiasm for the cruise. A cruise is what you make of it, and if you go into it with a bad impression you're going to make it out to be much worse than reality. Got into it with positive vibes, and ready to have a great time, and I don't think you'll take much notice, if any of the past complaints.

Absolutely!! Now I am going with an open mind and I am sure I will run into some problems somewhere. But I don't expect to find the extreme issues like what some on here would expect to find.

Please remember the CDC reports are from when the ship was Pride of Aloha. Things have changed and I expect them to be improved. I really don't think it is a fair comparison.

I am lookign forward to my cruise and will update (and I will be fair when I do it) everyone when I get home.

Hah, your comment on the CDC reports mimicks what I just posted. Your line of thinking is the right approach. Going in with an open mind is the way to go. Enjoy your cruise!

I am amazed at the low standards that people are willing to vacation with. Wow. People's concerns here are VALID when it comes this ship's cleanliness!

I'm equally amazed by the overboard hysteria caued by a few bad experiences on a couple early sailings. I'm confident the problems that occured are properly being addressed.

I'm also confident that the CDC issues were fully addressed during the 6 week wetdock.

The CDC boards and inspects ships with no prior notice. They then rank the ship and post the report at their website. I have been advised to check the ranking for any ship I am looking to sail on. If you do go the the CDC site and check their Green Sheet you will find that a ranking of 78 is almost unheard of. Most ships are scored in the high 90's and even 100. I am not picking on Sky - only getting the info out there. Purchasing a cruise, is after all, a purchase of choice. I just feel that NCL has not been totally open and up front about Sky and as a consumer, it concerns me. Sorry if this offends or upsets people. It upset and concerned me, to be sure. I am faced with a cancelled trip and probably lots of red tape to get reimbursed. While I have saved my long anticipated and well earned vacation by rebooking on another cruise line I felt the need to take my time to share what I had found so that others considering a cruise on Sky would have all the info out there to make their decision.

Bottom line, if NCL's customer service was doing a good job, many of these concerns would have been calmed and quieted with our phonecalls to them. No such luck. I feel strongly that ANY cruise line must pay attention to the product they are selling and the feedback. 10% may not seem like much in the way of "bad" reviews here, but I think it should really be concerning to NCL. I also think they owe an explananation about their unsatisfactory CDC score.

As a consumer, we deserve more than what NCL has been willing to give in the way of assurance that all is well on Sky. Personally, my vacations are too few and far between to take a chance. There are many choices that have almost NO negative reviews rather than the opposite. I can ignore a bad review here and there, but when they are 90% bad and the research supports the problems I am just not willing to take the risk.

For those of you who have chosen to stick with it on Sky, I hope that your trip is in the 90% positive and memorable for all the right reasons.

Archived