No Refund of deposit re Non Smoking

Seabis

Jimjams

I think most would find it difficult to argue against Annie's post, in particular her reference to the 5 billion nett GBP the smoker contributes to the Revenue's coffers. No smokers and the zealots would have to 'stump' up more :D

Cb

Whatever cruisebore;) good luck !

When there was unrestricted smoking we did not cruise.

We did not go in pubs where there was smoking.

Where people smoke in a restaurant we do not dine there.

Many people who smoke stink. One on our last cruise stank so much I had to hold a hankie to my nose.

Smokers can go anywhere; non-smokers are excluded from smoking areas.

And we were hit by a lorry driver who was smoking. He looked down lighting his cigarette and then drove into our stationary car.

My "abusive" replies are directed at the disgustng habit of smoking and at those who hold their habit as being more important then other peoples health and comfort.

The only abuse on this site is those who address me as a bigot.

I do not entertain any smokers weak and pathetic excuses for why they smoke or why they should have the right to smoke. THEY ARE SIMPLY WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

I am opposed to bans re drugs, alcohol, fox hunting AND smoking. However I am very pro in favour of protecting others from the side effects of other peoples addictions and especially of those who deserve protection - minors.

The smoking zealots have had their way through most of the last century with little or no restraint of the impact of their habit on others.

Smoking is now banned from all UK public indoor areas as well as certain outdoor areas. The public need and deserve to expect the same constraints applied to ex.UK cruise ships with smokng in cabins banned too due to the risk of some old puffing fool setting fire to his/her cabin.

... and as for the pathetic defence that tobacco duty contributes to the nations finances. If this is true (although it's not) then as the number of smokers becoming ex.smokers or prematurely dead, then this can be off-set by ever higher duties to compensate for any diminishing returns from the remaining smoking bigots.

Whilst being a non smoker and am grateful for the non smoking law. I do feel that smokers have had a bit of a raw deal. How it would be solved any different way I couldn't even hazard a guess. But one thing that did annoy me when I was on the Arcadia smoking was allowed in the "British" pub where the large screen TV was and as the rugby internationals were on when we were at sea one day my husband could watch as it was soooo smokey in there he just couldn't sit there. I don't expect people to go outside and perhaps it would have been solved if there was a "smoking room" but does a smoking pub usually have to have the best entertainment and large screen TV?

I just feel that in todays environment people are often just selfish eg. anti v smoking, those awful people who insist on reserving a sunbed even though they're ashore but want to guarantee a "good place" when they return mid afternoon, people who think you want to suffer their children when they can't be bothered to look after them. The list just goes on......

Jane

Gerry M:

I do not have any direct experience of Butlins, but I understand it is a popular and economic mode of holidaying for families of limited means, where at least their children (the responsible majority of parents who do not smoke) are not exposed to smoking in public indoor areas, as some children currently run the risk of on P&O ships.

Derek Kane

Hi Guys

I see the other smoking topic has been stopped.

But not before I received another copy of his rantings.

Deja vu? is another banning imminent

Cb

Cb, my thread, my request. I agreed with Walt that a very reasonable and possibly surprising conclusion could be drawn from the poll.

Monocoled Mutineer I would like to meet you. If our paths cross we must arrange an RV.

Gerry M.

I see no grounds for banning me from this site (and indeed on other sites). The bans in the past have been as a resut of emotional, often irrational and abusive responses from others to robustly put opinion. In the case of smoking it would be most surprsing as it my view that my opinions are shed with the vast majority of folks who don't smoke, who themselves arethe vast majority.

Smokers are a dwindling band, with very few people outside the feckless and criminal classes smoking, althoug lots of silly girls smoke whilst indlging in weekly or twice weekly binge-drinking and serial fornication - a recipe for a short and loveless life.

Gerry M.

I see no grounds for banning me from this site (and indeed on other sites). The bans in the past have been as a resut of emotional, often irrational and abusive responses from others to robustly put opinion. In the case of smoking it would be most surprsing as it my view that my opinions are shed with the vast majority of folks who don't smoke, who themselves arethe vast majority.

Smokers are a dwindling band, with very few people outside the feckless and criminal classes smoking, althoug lots of silly girls smoke whilst indlging in weekly or twice weekly binge-drinking and serial fornication - a recipe for a short and loveless life.

You really do bring it on yourself!

Smoking now not enough loose morals and the meaning of life next!

Let it go and move on.

Carl

Gerry M,

Apologies if this is none of my business but:

I cannot believe that this has prompted the anti-smokers to come out of their shell, the original post was not even asking for a debate on the subject!

Anyway, Seabis, I can tell you that I cancelled Ventura next February becasue I could not smoke in my cabin as described when I booked. I told P&O I wanted to cancel and got a full refund for my party of 6.

Hope that helps.

Gerry

Annie, with respect, this is the type of comment i expect from smokers who could not care less.

I am one of those non-smokers that support the view that smokers have the right to smoke and facilities should be be made available accordingly. But if there are smokers that really believe the rubbish above then I have absolutely zero sympathy with their so-called plight.

The smoke from a cabin next door can absolutely be non-transient and can linger for many minutes. Fact.

Regards

Gerry

I was just wondering if you'd given up?

Gaz

Gaz,no apologies required, a perfectly reasonable reaction. I am surprised and a little flattered though that you researched my posts so closely!

I cannot let you know on a public forum why I wrote these 2 posts you will just have to try and figure it out for yourself, sorry. I can tell you that both posts are absolutely true but if you look carefully enough they do not have to contradict each other

Sue /Libralass, I will email you and all will become clear!

Cheers

Gerry

Gerry,

You are one of the more 'readable' posters.

I admit to being a sucker for a good mystery. However, I'm beggered if I can come up with a plausible solution. Kippers came to mind, but as they are on the restaurant breakfast menu I thought it was a non-starter. "BYO" Wine; yes, kippers; no.

So I'll admit defeat and accept that I'll never know.

Regards,

Gaz.

Gerry,

I take it that one of your party of 6 is a smoker but as you had made the original booking and the said booking was most probably in your name, you stated that you would not now be able to smoke in your cabin, when in fact, it really related to one of your party.

Am I correct?

Regards Babs.

Archived