Kids in one room, adults in the other?

ecn81126

We booked two cabins next to each other for our upcoming cruise. (There were no more connecting cabins available at the time of booking). I set it up that my husband and our two boys (13, 8) are in one room, while my daughter (15) and myself are in the other room.

I've been reading through the threads and notice many people have booked non-connecting rooms, and while on the ship place themselves and their spouse in one room with their children in another room.

Is this common? Is this allowed/legal? The thought of spending the nights with my husband (and with the beds pushed together) is a nice one, but it's not something we MUST have, as I know we'll find plenty of "adult time" while our kids are busy with Camp Carnival activities.

Your experience/input is very welcome. Thank you!

We booked two cabins next to each other for our upcoming cruise. (There were no more connecting cabins available at the time of booking). I set it up that my husband and our two boys (13, 8) are in one room, while my daughter (15) and myself are in the other room.

I've been reading through the threads and notice many people have booked non-connecting rooms, and while on the ship place themselves and their spouse in one room with their children in another room.

Is this common? Is this allowed/legal? The thought of spending the nights with my husband (and with the beds pushed together) is a nice one, but it's not something we MUST have, as I know we'll find plenty of "adult time" while our kids are busy with Camp Carnival activities.

Your experience/input is very welcome. Thank you!

Carnival will allow you even book the kids in their own room and you and hubby in your room. As long as the rooms are side by side or across the hall. (This means you could not book a guarantee.)

Have a great trip!

I, too thought we had to have one parent in each room. But, when I booked- through Carnival they put DH and myself in one room and the kids in the room next store. I even asked if the pvp was sure that was okay and he said not a problem as long as the rooms are side by side or across the hall.

Lots of people seem to book the other way and just change rooms.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much for your super fast replies!! We booked one adult in each room, in order to get the "past guest" discount, but it is sounding like we can put the kids in a room of their own and have the two of us in the other. Again, thank you so much! :) You guys are so helpful!

We were originally going to all sleep in one standard inside cabin, and booked it that way. (I know, I know!). After talking about it, we decided to do two cabins. We had already had the "2 level" upgrade from a 4C room to a 4E room when we booked the first cabin. I called my PVP and asked about connecting cabins, but there weren't any on the ship. She offered to bump us up to the Verandah deck, two inside cabins next to each other, for the 4C price, so we took that. Between the upgrade and the "past guest" discount, we ended up paying a LOT less than we originally thought we would.

When we looked at the suites, they were coming in about $700 (total, not per person) more than we are paying now.

It's the first cruise for my kids, and having inside rooms isn't going to bother us since we'll probably spend most of our time out of the rooms. Now when my husband and I go on our anniversary cruise in a few years, we're gonna splurge and get a really nice "room with a view"!

Did you price out a penthouse suite? Sleeps 5. That's what we did; I found the price to be reasonable, especially as compared to booking two rooms.

Depends on the ship. Cat 12s on Spirt/Conquest classes only sleep 4.

A little off-topic:

Hi ECN - I hope y'all have a wonderful cruise! I'd like to mention something to you and others whose kids have separate cabins (please do not take offense)...

Emphasize to your children that there are folks right next door to them, and that the walls are not really thick. It's amazing what a slam against a wall will sound like next door! I've been in that situation, with children next door - actually about your kids' ages - and had a miserable time while in my cabin. I spoke w/the children, and it did no good; I spoke w/the parents, and it did no good. I finally spoke w/the purser, and it did no good. They were absolutely horrid...don't know where the parents were most of the time, but not keeping an eye on them; told me they were on vacation and could do whatever they wanted.:eek: I was very polite in my requests.

I'm NOT saying your kids are like those, or that you would allow that type behavior. Thanks in advance for letting them know just how LOUD playing around can be to neighbors.:)

For those wondering, here is the specific legalise from the cruise contract:

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

Acommpanying is interpreted as a cabin next to, across, or diagonally across from the parents.

A little off-topic:

Hi ECN - I hope y'all have a wonderful cruise! I'd like to mention something to you and others whose kids have separate cabins (please do not take offense)...

Emphasize to your children that there are folks right next door to them, and that the walls are not really thick. It's amazing what a slam against a wall will sound like next door! I've been in that situation, with children next door - actually about your kids' ages - and had a miserable time while in my cabin. I spoke w/the children, and it did no good; I spoke w/the parents, and it did no good. I finally spoke w/the purser, and it did no good. They were absolutely horrid...don't know where the parents were most of the time, but not keeping an eye on them; told me they were on vacation and could do whatever they wanted.:eek: I was very polite in my requests.

I'm NOT saying your kids are like those, or that you would allow that type behavior. Thanks in advance for letting them know just how LOUD playing around can be to neighbors.:)

Cotton, I am with you sister!!!! We have had this experience more than once and it can make a great vacation not so great any more. I know that everyone has paid for their vacation but a little common courtsey goes a long way!!!

A little off-topic:

Emphasize to your children that there are folks right next door to them, and that the walls are not really thick. It's amazing what a slam against a wall will sound like next door! .

This will be the third year we put our teenage girls across the hall from us. The twist on the post I've quoted is that last year on the Legend, my girls had a young male couple next door to them and were woken up in the middle of the night by, ahem, "sounds". :eek: Evidently, they "slept" during the day and were a little "nocturnal".;) Once in the middle of the afternoon, they opened their door and told ME to keep it down when I was talking to my girls in the hallway! Maybe they would've done better at an all inclusive?:rolleyes:

Sol y Mar

(proud of my girls' behavior on cruises!)

A little off-topic:

Thank you so much for the reminder! I know that there are times when I take my kids' behavior for granted...and in the excitement of getting on the ship this might have gone unmentioned. I will be sure to remind them about slamming doors, screaming/yelling, heck even laughing too loud or having the TV too loud.

With three kids, I truly cherish my "kid-free" quiet time, and I am sure there will be many, many vacationers on the ship trying to have some quiet time of their own. I'll be sure that my kids aren't ruining the fun for anyone else.

Another thought...we're on the Imagination in rooms V20 and V24. From looking at the deck plan, V20 is between V24 and, well, "nothing" according to the plan. Not sure what belongs in that space but I'm thinking if I put the kids in that room, they'll be between us and whatever that "nothing" space is.

Kids in a separate cabin, what will they be doing when you fall asleep? Now I know how come there are so many kids hanging out in the stairwells late at night, and if you think your kids won't you are sadly mistaken. Do everyone a favor and keep a eye on your kids.

Archived