Athens Airport

What is Athens airport like.

Is it very busy, and are the counters marked for each airline.

Do they have the computers where you have to print out your own boarding pass and luggage tags.

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks

What is Athens airport like.

Is it very busy, and are the counters marked for each airline.

Do they have the computers where you have to print out your own boarding pass and luggage tags.

Athens airport is like all international airports I know.

The only day it was really busy was after the Olympic Games 2004 when every one wanted to leave Athens and when all Greeks wanted to fly to Portugal to see how the Greek won the Euro Soccer Champion in 2004. Since then I would not say busy beside the vacation season...

Of course the airlines are allocated in different counters dedicated to the single airlines. Sometimes one airline or other handling agent also take care of airlines who do not have their own staff memebers at the airport.

See here: http://www.aia.gr/flash_files/imap.asp

If there are check-in machines or luggage-tag printers is not a question of the airport: it's a decision of the airline to offer this service or not.

Regards,

HeinBloed

The Athens airport is huge in relation to the number of passengers using it. So, it seldom feels crowded. Lots and lots of space to wait after clearing security. The only real negative is that after you clear security, there is little in the way of shops and food.

As mentioned: dedicated by carrier check-in. Self-service kiosks for the airlines which normally have them.

Paul

Actually, I recall the Athens airport as being much better than many other European airports. I think it was remodeled extensively right before the 2004 Olympics, so that everything still seems relatively new and is well-marked for the visitor. Certainly roomier, cleaner and more efficient than Rome or Milan as a comparison.

Actually, I recall the Athens airport as being much better than many other European airports. I think it was remodeled extensively right before the 2004 Olympics, so that everything still seems relatively new and is well-marked for the visitor. Certainly roomier, cleaner and more efficient than Rome or Milan as a comparison.

Let me correct one small fact:

The airport Eleftherios Venizelos was opened 2001 to replace the old airport Hellinikon which was need to build up some Olympic venues.

Therefore the airport is "brandnew" and there was no remodeling in 2004.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived