Independance OTS - Southampton dock question

When docked at Southampton which side of the ship will be against the dock wall and which will be the water side?

Thanks

I think it could be either way round; it might also depend on which berth (Mayflower, City or QE2) she is using.

On the other, it might be that the practice is to turn on return from the previous cruise. I saw her on 31 May when I was on Oriana; IoTS was berthed at Mayflower or City (Oriana was at QE2), with both ships pointing downstream. IoTS left a couple of minutes before Oriana and came slowly past us where we were still berthed; then Oriana followed IoTS down Southampton Water and round Bramble Bank until we headed off eastwards and IoTS went off the to the SW. When we returned a few day later we certainly turned before berthing, as did Arcadia which had preceded us up Southampton Water. If this is the general practice then the port side will be alongside the quay.

Incidentally I don't know how familiar you are with the port of Southampton, but this website:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

has a lot of detail about berths, schedules, maps, etc.

When docked at Southampton which side of the ship will be against the dock wall and which will be the water side?

Thanks

We were docked port side on the maiden voyage when we left and when we returned. I was up at 4.30 a.m ish so watched her turning round.

Nina :)

Archived