NY City waterfalls

smeyer418

What do you think of the Waterfalls in NY?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Waterfalls in NY?

• Love them I made/or making a special trip to NYC to see them
    • Love them when I was or will be in NYC I will make sure to see them
    • They are ok but not worth a special trip
    • what waterfalls
    • you have got to be kidding this is art?
    • other

ok I need your help. I am wondering about the 4 man made waterfalls in NY and whether you have seen them and what you think about them so please help me either take the poll or give me your comments....

Thanks

If you haven't seen or heard there are four man made waterfalls as art in the streets that are temporarily on. The four are one on Governors Island, One at the Brooklyn Anchorage of the Brooklyn Bridge, one in the to be Built Brooklyn Bridge park and the fourth in Manhattan the the Pier just North of the Manhattan Bridge(picture of the Brooklyn Bridge one is bellow)

IMG_4431.jpg.7fb039c09cc5b2d85a06aa7ccc15bba3.jpg

ok I need your help. I am wondering about the 4 man made waterfalls in NY and whether you have seen them and what you think about them so please help me either take the poll or give me your comments....

Thanks

If you haven't seen or heard there are four man made waterfalls as art in the streets that are temporarily on. The four are one on Governors Island, One at the Brooklyn Anchorage of the Brooklyn Bridge, one in the to be Built Brooklyn Bridge park and the fourth in Manhattan the the Pier just North of the Manhattan Bridge(picture of the Brooklyn Bridge one is bellow)

I saw them while on the Norwegian Dawn on the way to Bermuda last week. I was not impressed. I'm all for the idea of public art. I think the concept was very interesting. However, I was disappointing in the presentation. The water flow over the "falls" was weak. The wind was blowing the water around and it looked more like a sprinkler than a waterfall.

Thanks

We did the trip and the $10 Circle Line. I didn't think it was worth the wait. (We had to wait 2 hours because the ships were booked when we got there). The only one that looked great close up was the one directly under the Bridge. If the wind is blowing hard, the others don't look too much like waterfalls.

I would have just viewed them all from the South Street Seaport.

We were at the South Street Seaport on July 4th and saw the "WaterFalls" The best way to describe them is they are different, but obviously that is what the artist intended. The Seaport is a very good viewing site especially for the waterfall under the Brooklyn Bridge. I posted a picture of it in the picture section, check it out and decide for yourself! :) :)

I saw the one in Brooklyn yesterday while driving along the BQE on my way towards the Sunset Park neighborhood for a couple of Tacos Pastor at Tacos Matamoros. I must be one ignorant SOB, and I don't know much about art, but I know what I don't like. This is not art, its a waste of resources and I can only hope that some rich person funded this crap, but it was paid for by the Public Art Fund, which gets its funding from many public and private sources.

I saw the one in Brooklyn yesterday while driving along the BQE on my way towards the Sunset Park neighborhood for a couple of Tacos Pastor at Tacos Matamoros. I must be one ignorant SOB, and I don't know much about art, but I know what I don't like. This is not art, its a waste of resources and I can only hope that some rich person funded this crap, but it was paid for by the Public Art Fund, which gets its funding from many public and private sources.

FYI $2 million of the $16 came from the Lower Manhattan Development Corp...Public funds directly although not appropriated in the normal way...

FYI - not such a waste of money - it's actually airating the water in the East River, which it desperately needs. ;) If we get a few more, we might actually have fish in there one day:cool: (edible ones!)

with all due respect this really won't make any difference and both at the River cafe and on Governors Island its killing the vegetation. There are already many fish in the area and there are even places people fish(the Valentino Park in Red Hook for an example)...In fact one of the reasons that brooklyn Bridge park couldn't maintain the floating pool there was concern that it would cast shadows on spawning areas(I kid you not)...

with all due respect this really won't make any difference and both at the River cafe and on Governors Island its killing the vegetation. There are already many fish in the area and there are even places people fish(the Valentino Park in Red Hook for an example)...In fact one of the reasons that brooklyn Bridge park couldn't maintain the floating pool there was concern that it would cast shadows on spawning areas(I kid you not)...

I was just kidding......lighten up!

• 3 weeks later...

The NYC Waterfalls are beautiful and are a wonderful work of public art. It is projects such as this, that allows NYC to stand out as one of the leading cities of the world.

I would have an issue standing in line to take a Circle Line cruise to see the waterfalls; however, you can get a great view of three of the four falls from the Brooklyn Bridge Park (Under Construction) at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. Of course, there are other good vantage points; however, I feel that is one of the best.

The NYC Waterfalls are beautiful and are a wonderful work of public art. It is projects such as this, that allows NYC to stand out as one of the leading cities of the world.

yes, this ranks up there with the portrait of Jesus smeared with feces that was shown in Brooklyn a few years ago....if you want waterfalls, go to Niagra and if you can't make it that far, go to Bushkill in PA.

I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see them during a recent visit to NYC, but we did see all 4 while on our 3 hr waterway tour of Manhattan. One was completely shut down because the salt water mist was killing the vegetation near it. The only one I took a pic of was the one under the bridge. If you're into modern art it might be the thing, but I'm not an "artsy" kind of gal so they didn't do much for me.

Cathy

• 1 month later...

Archived