Custom Air Question

CLEMM

I have booked a cruise leaving Amsterdam in May 2009. I have also booked through Celebrity a 2 night pre cruise package and air. I want to do custom air to make sure I get non stop and my understanding is that since I am a captain's club member the custom air fee will be waived. Here is my question, my TA tells me that November is when Celebrity will start arranging the air and I therefore have to wait until then to arrange the flight. Is this true? I thought with custom air I could book it now and make sure there was availability with non stop. Any info would be aprreciated.

We made custom air arrangements for our September cruise nine months before the trip started, and some other roll call members had indicated they'd done it several weeks prior to that. This has been our only experience with cruise air.

For what its worth, we suggested several flights to our agent. None of them were available but they came back with three similar flights one of which was no extra charge and two of which had additional costs. The no extra charge flight was OK so we took it.

Here is another question for those of you who have done it - if our cruise is booked through a TA does one have to go through a travel agent to discuss the options with Celebrity - or can we talk to their custom air directly. I understand that the normal course is that everything has to go through a TA if you're booked with one, but it seems silly for them to have to go back and forth with air options rather than just talking directly with the custom air department.

My TA persisted with the custom air department and after speaking with 3 different people managed to arrange the flights. I guess it is just a matter of who answers the phone at Celebrity.

I have booked a cruise leaving Amsterdam in May 2009. I have also booked through Celebrity a 2 night pre cruise package and air. I want to do custom air to make sure I get non stop and my understanding is that since I am a captain's club member the custom air fee will be waived. Here is my question, my TA tells me that November is when Celebrity will start arranging the air and I therefore have to wait until then to arrange the flight. Is this true? I thought with custom air I could book it now and make sure there was availability with non stop. Any info would be aprreciated.

I can't help you out with the custom air question but if you live near a city that KLM serves request them. We were on the 7/4 Century sailing out of Amsterdam and did our own air with KLM. They were great. Individual interactive TV's with on demand books, movies, language courses, etc (this is currently only available on Boeing 777 but will be expanded), free drinks and a pillow and blanket on your seat upon boarding. If you use them I do suggest you do on-line check in from the ship for your flight home. It puts you on the 15 minute line vs the 30-60 minute line at Schiphol.

Good luck!

I would talk to Celebrity as soon as possible. Keep in mind that airlines only book 330 days out, but you are within that window. We booked flights in January for our upcoming October cruise (we went directly with the airline) but the flight prices have gone no where but up.

We made custom air arrangements for our September cruise nine months before the trip started, and some other roll call members had indicated they'd done it several weeks prior to that. This has been our only experience with cruise air.

For what its worth, we suggested several flights to our agent. None of them were available but they came back with three similar flights one of which was no extra charge and two of which had additional costs. The no extra charge flight was OK so we took it.

Here is another question for those of you who have done it - if our cruise is booked through a TA does one have to go through a travel agent to discuss the options with Celebrity - or can we talk to their custom air directly. I understand that the normal course is that everything has to go through a TA if you're booked with one, but it seems silly for them to have to go back and forth with air options rather than just talking directly with the custom air department.

Larry, we've used Custom Air once...a couple of years ago, for an Eastbound Transatlantic. When the air arrangements were completed (through our TA), I then made our seat assignments directly with the airline. I originally did research my own flight options, and subsequently did travel on the airline of choice, and time of choice. But I do know that using Celebrity Air (in that particular case) was quite a savings. The exact same flight was quite a bit higher.

Larry, we've used Custom Air once...a couple of years ago, for an Eastbound Transatlantic. When the air arrangements were completed (through our TA), I then made our seat assignments directly with the airline. I originally did research my own flight options, and subsequently did travel on the airline of choice, and time of choice. But I do know that using Celebrity Air (in that particular case) was quite a savings. The exact same flight was quite a bit higher.

Same here - when we got our flights picked last January (for our upcoming Sept. cruise) we got our booking ID and used that to pick out seats on the airline's site.

Our cruise air to Europe for the westbound TA is pretty good. I originally booked it as we were not 100% sure if we'd go on the cruise or not and, unlike an airline ticket, cruise air is cancelable until final payment date. As the cruise (and final payment date) got closer and we firmed up our plans I checked other rates from time to time. While we did find some rates slightly less they were less direct flights on lesser airlines and not worth the small cost savings to us. Our flights are one connection at an east coast airport then direct to Barcelona - all on a major airline. We're happy with our flights - especially since there are no direct flights from Chicago to Barcelona.

I just booked a Feb 2009 New Zealand/Australia cruise. We booked air through Celebrity with a 1 night pre stay in Auckland. This was all done through a TA. Can I now go back and request to do Custom Air? I was just looking at different air choices out of Atlanta and there is a big difference in the routings. Does any one know how Celebrity might route us from Atlanta to New Zealand, i.e. do they have a "favored" airline? I usually do my own air arrangements but the included air was less than half what I could get on my own.

Thanks,

Archived