Dry dock QM2

cruzadict

Greetings, fellow cruiser! We were also in this cruise and, like you, had a nice in-hull balcony, which we enjoyed a lot.:)

Hello Robert,

I wasn't aware that you were on our cruise. What deck were you on? We were deck 5, forward on the portside. It was a lovely cruise. I wish I were back there again!

Gail:)

They had already taken down the decorative drapes in the Queen's Grill by breakfast this a.m. & according to the QG Maitre D 700 contractors were to embark, with approx 70% of crew remaining on board. He confirmed that it was all soft furnishings & carpets internally.

Hello Robert,

I wasn't aware that you were on our cruise. What deck were you on? We were deck 5, forward on the portside. It was a lovely cruise. I wish I were back there again!

Gail:)

We were on Deck 4, midships on starboard.

Lovely cruise! It was so nice to 'live' it again through your beautiful slideshow!

Happy sailings!:)

Disembarked QM2 today in Southampton. We were told by the Commodore that the dry dock will not be including any structural work. Will only be hull and pod related with soft furnishing and carpet replacements.

This seems to coincide with Carnival's general 'playing safe' philosophy. Only what is necessary changes.

It is certainly unlike old Cunard, who had the courage to build such an innovative ship in the shape of QE2, and then not to hesitate to change it repeatedly, eventually spending many times its original cost. (maritime historians, please correct me here if I'm wrong...)

But on the other hand, playing safe is perhaps the best way for an enterprise to be viable, especially in general financial circumstances like those today. And this is what we want for our beloved Cunard!

Disembarked QM2 today in Southampton. We were told by the Commodore that the dry dock will not be including any structural work. Will only be hull and pod related with soft furnishing and carpet replacements.

I think we are quite a few who don't regret this.

We like the ship as it is, and we are not sure if a potential major change would be welcome.

We were on Deck 4, midships on starboard.

Lovely cruise! It was so nice to 'live' it again through your beautiful slideshow!

Happy sailings!:)

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it. Every now and then, when I need a little Cunard, I click it on and relive it, as well.:)

It is certainly unlike old Cunard, who had the courage to build such an innovative ship in the shape of QE2, and then not to hesitate to change it repeatedly, eventually spending many times its original cost.

Am I missing irony? That's one of the most charitable interpretations of what happened under Trafalgar house - a more common interpretation is 'endless tinkering interspersed with one botched refit after another......'

The 'old' Cunard only ran QE2 for a couple of years before being taken over by Trafalgar House.....I think Carnival have shown the same vision as the 'old' Cunard by building the QM2 in the first place.......and mercifully are avoiding the tinkering that left only a few rooms from the QE2 of 1969 extant today....

Peter

There are a few mods to things behind the scenes in the hotel area, such as pantry modifications, champagen bar gets its own POS machine & fridge (no more going to the chart room bar to get the bill!). The Terrace bar(aft pool) is being made slighly more enclosed and again pantry mods to suit Todd English restaurant. Regatta bar is being deleted.

As to other stuff I have no information but the above info was from the staff involved in those areas.

Thanks for this information. I am just considering a transatlantic crossing and was wondering if paying the extra for a glass balcony over the hull cabins would work out OK as I was also a bit worried about it being a bit dark.

I think I may save the extra and book some spa treatments instead!

Tracey

Tracey,

If you are on a TA, then go for the hull balcony's. They are more sheltered, and you can actually use them.

I spoke to the Chief engineer, and he also said that there were to be no major changes, just a full clean, and replacement floor coverings. I know that all the curtains (132 of them) were removed from the Britannia on the last night for repair / deep clean whilst in Southampton.

I honestly wish they would do something with the Winter Garden. It is such a wasted space, and has so much potential.

I would like to see the winter garden moved and replace the Boardwalk café. By enclosing café area and making similar to QV’s Winter Garden would be a positive and more useful for this area of Deck 12. Then the current Winter Garden could be expanded for additional Kings Court seating.

I would like to see the winter garden moved and replace the Boardwalk café. By enclosing café area and making similar to QV’s Winter Garden would be a positive and more useful for this area of Deck 12. Then the current Winter Garden could be expanded for additional Kings Court seating.

I was on board on the last Transatlantic from New York to Southampton. Several crew members told me that there were no major modifications apart from major maintenance and cleaning.

I thought the ship looked very good so close before a major dry dock.

I think Cunard has "ideas" about changes it would like to make (and no I don't now what they are ;) ) but they have been put off indefinitely. Or at least, accommodation changes have been. Technical changes will continue and of course so will routine maintenance.

My question is, just how long is the QM2 going to be in dry dock, anyway?

I would think that mere time constraints would dictate just how aggressive any renovations will be.

It would allow for more extensive work to be done than is being done.

Whether what could be done in three weeks is "major" really depends on what you consider "major".

Enclosing the hull balconies, I believe would be somewhat major. I would think that would take some time to do.

If you need your QM2 , seen here by : " Foto Community " :) ...

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/4417

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/4417/startpic/8

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/4417/startpic/20

I think you have more photos from QM2 the next days ;)

Here in the same Web Site of : " Foto Community " you have QM2 in Hambourg over they years !!! Some of these photos are realy : " BEAUTIFUL " ( especialy from Dry Dock in the night ) .

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/extra/search

Noel

" Oups " for the last link :rolleyes:

You enter just : qm2 in the white rectangle , and you found 41 pages of beautiful photos :)

I found one of my " ever " favorite photo of QM2 in this beautiful web site of : fotocommunity.de

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/extra/search/options/YToyOntzOjg6ImFkdmFuY2VkIjtzOjE6IjEiO3M6MTI6InNlYXJjaHN0cmluZyI7czozOiJxbTIiO30/display/7643428

Noel

Am I missing irony? That's one of the most charitable interpretations of what happened under Trafalgar house - a more common interpretation is 'endless tinkering interspersed with one botched refit after another......'

Peter

Peter, you certainly know better than me. I have only cruised during the last years on Cunard, and have not watched the course of the QE2 through the years, or known it in detail.

At least, I think we agree that making no changes to a ship can be better than altering it.

I think Cunard has "ideas" about changes it would like to make (and no I don't now what they are ;) ) but they have been put off indefinitely. Or at least, accommodation changes have been. Technical changes will continue and of course so will routine maintenance.

Doug, nice to see you again here! I have the impression that you have been absent for some time (or am I wrong?).

So, Cunard has postponed making accommodation changes to the QM2 idefinetely. Is this only because of the current economic crisis?

Archived