Internet access on Explorer?

I plan on going on my first Royal Caribbean cruise in September and I'm having trouble trying to find out some details regarding Explorer of the Sea's internet access. I understand that they offer unlimited in-room access for $100/week, but that they don't have too many units. If I choose a pre-paid amount of minutes instead, can I use this on my laptop in the room or are the cabin rooms only equiped for plugged in dial-up? As for the internet lounge on Deck 8, is there wi-fi in here for a laptop or do you have to use one of Explorer's desktops that are wired into dial-up? Lastly, is there a list of wi-fi areas on the ship? I know I read that they have a spot in the Promenade area (I'm not sure which deck). I'm sorry for all the questions. The only way I get to go on a vacation with the hubby is if there is a guarantee that the place has internet access because he runs his own internet company and always has to do company support. Thank you!!

Let me preface this by saying that my experience was on the Vision and not the Explorer or any other Voyager Class ship. However, I suspect that the Explorer would have AT LEAST the Internet capabilities of the older Vision. So this is what you could expect at a minimum..

The internet cafe will allow you to connect to the Internet using your own computer. You have to create an account on THEIR computer using their account set-up tool. You can then attach to the ship's wireless network using your laptop and log in for access.

Internet access through the ship is $.55 per minute, but you can buy packages that discount it a bit.

There is a coupon in the C&A book that will give you $5 off your Internet bill

I found only a couple of hot spots on the ship, most of them surrounding the Internet cafe. Our suite was down the hall on the same floor, but I didn't have access in my room.

The speed is pretty reasonable, but don't expect cable/DSL speed if you're used to that.

I found the best use of my time and money was to connect with my laptop, download my emails (POP3 access), and then read/reply to the emails off line. When done I connected again, sent the emails and logged off

I saw teenagers on there browsing facebook and myspace at $.55 per minute! :eek:

Hi Mike, Thanks for the info. We always used the internet cafe onboard without a problem. We too need access due to owning a company. We now have the IPod- Itouch which odes have wi-fi access. I am hoping this will allow me to have a quick connection to download and read email.

Hi Mike, Thanks for the info. We always used the internet cafe onboard without a problem. We too need access due to owning a company. We now have the IPod- Itouch which odes have wi-fi access. I am hoping this will allow me to have a quick connection to download and read email.

it should work fine, Linda. Just use their computer to create your account and connect with your iphone's wifi capability. The login is browser-based so you should be fine. Disconnect when done downloading to save you $

Archived