saguenay river, quebec ?

DavidnSteph

We weren't able to get pictures of the Beluga whales, because they appeared just above the surface of the water at about 50-100 ft from the front of the ship. They were definitely visible, and there were many pods. But they didn't breach like dolphins, so they didn't make for a great picture. And of course they disappeared as the ship got closer. Maybe you will have better luck at getting a good picture, and the whales won't be so shy. The Saguenay fjord was the most scenic spot of that cruise. Enjoy.

Thanks for responding. With us arriving late I hope we'll be able to see some whales and enjoy the scenery.

Sea ya!

CTinMTL:

I am From Montreal Quebec and took this cruise on the Maasdam in 2005.

I just want to clarify a few things.

1) This is not a Port. The ship does not stop. It is a scenic Fjord ride.

2) Normally, it takes 4 hrs. 2hrs 1 way, then the ship turns around and comes back out the same way.

3) 5 - 9PM seems kind of late ? It will be dark by then and you won't get to see anything.

4) On The Maasdam, this was the day after ww left Quebec City ( early morning)

5) Whales, yes. Dolphins, I doubt it.

It is beautiful and worth being out on deck ( or on HAL in the crows next and enjoy the view.

I checked our itinerary again and we are there from 5pm-8pm on 9/29. We are coming from Charlottetown, PEI and heading to Quebec. Sad that I won't be able to see much due to late arrival time.

Sea ya!

There are both dolphins and porpoises in the St-Lawrence. The Harbour Porpoise and the Atlantic White-Sided Dolphin. There are Seals as well, and they are considered of concern in Canada even if they are not protected in the US. See the list at http://www.baleinesendirect.net/eng/fsc.html?sct=2&pag=2-6-0

And you should definitely ask someone how to say seal in French... it sounds like they are swearing at you!

Regulations regarding marine mammals in Quebec... http://www.qc.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/peches/en/observation_mammiferes/bonnes_pratiques.htm

Sunset is likely to be after 6:30 which would mean that you still have the twilight, which should be about an hour on the water. It won't be really dark until after 7:30 or so. Astrological darkness (ie for the stars) is usually about an hour and a half after sunset, so about 8:00 pm or so.

Ephraim:

Sunset is likely to be after 6:30 which would mean that you still have the twilight, which should be about an hour on the water. It won't be really dark until after 7:30 or so. Astrological darkness (ie for the stars) is usually about an hour and a half after sunset, so about 8:00 pm or so.

Thank you very much for the information as well as the links in your other post.

Sea ya!

There are both dolphins and porpoises in the St-Lawrence. The Harbour Porpoise and the Atlantic White-Sided Dolphin. There are Seals as well, and they are considered of concern in Canada even if they are not protected in the US. See the list at http://www.baleinesendirect.net/eng/fsc.html?sct=2&pag=2-6-0

Cool. You learn something every day.

And you should definitely ask someone how to say seal in French... it sounds like they are swearing at you!

Bad Ephraim!!! :D

Cool. You learn something every day.

Bad Ephraim!!! :D

It goes with my list of fun things to ask for at Home Depot (notice, in Quebec it's not THE Home Depot... just Home Depot. Where else can you talk about crack filler, caulk, nuts, wood and of course... screws.

Besides, it's not a bad word... it's just a seal. Phoque. Do you think they might have a university?

Archived