feeling bad about taking a 13 month old :(

sunquest76

...I don't say all this to knock everyone else b/c I really think it's amazing that you all have been able to cruise and have such a great time with small children. I'm just concerned that my baby may not be cut out for cruising. She has a very high-pitched scream and right now screams when she doesn't get her way (we're working on it, but she is 18 months old). I don't want her disrupting others and I don't want her ruining our trip either.

Do you think that the fact that I KNOW my child and what her behavior is like should really tell me that this may not be the best option for us, or should I try it anyway (and try to work on behavior and other issues before hand)? We may go just the 3 of us (no mom or baby), but I probably need to decide soon. Reading all the posts here has me excited about taking the baby, but I'm still VERY concerned that I may be sorely disappointed. I want some down time and I'm not sure if that will happen. TIA for any info you can give.

I think you're asking yourself all the right questions. This is exactly what I was trying to convey. Cruising can be a great vacation for all ages, but only you know whether your DD will do well. It sounds as if she simply may not be ready for travel right now. Yes, I do think the fact that you know your child and her moods, as well as recent "history" of not traveling well means that you need to very seriously consider whether you want to keep working on problems and hope for the best or wait until you know that she'll be more ready for it. Then, all of you would have a more enjoyable relaxing time--especially you. IMO (and keep in mind this is just what I think), you would be hard pressed to enjoy yourself if you either had to spend all your time worrying or all your time dealing with a screaming, out-of-sorts DD who is not having fun, which would no doubt affect her sister's cruising experience as well. I mean, most of us have had to deal with siblings and no one (least of all toddlers) is perfect, but it's important to consider the best interest of both of them. (Your consideration and concern for the others cruisers is admirable as well.)

beachchick

Yesornocruising...... You have presented some great points. It really depends on what you are looking to get out of the cruise. If you are looking to get away most of the day and lounge by the pool with no interruptions then I would say leave the baby. If you think a few hours away here and there might be ok and you would love to experience the cruise with your child then yes, take her and grandma along for some help. You have to remember that she will still need to be fed, napped, entertained, watched etc just like at home. Her behavior on the ship may be great but may not.

My DD was very loud and spirited at that age but on a cruiseship and other places we have traveled, she has always been an angel...go figure. I think the atmosphere and people around just distract her so much that she acts perfectly. We have never had a tantrum on-board and she is only 2 and has been on 5 cruises and has eaten in the dining room every night. However, we took at vacation with family to Orlando this past summer and my 17 month-old nephew was a nightmare so he would not travel well on a cruise.

Cruising as a family can be a great way to travel but it is not like cruising without kids. If you are looking for a break and you are comfortable leaving your child, I would say go without her.

Depends on the tour. If its a tour bus, most are open air and you can just bring a portable car seat and place her next to you or carry her on your lap. If its a boat type or snorkeling tour you can always take turns with someone watching her on the boat while one of you snorkels etc. We always just go to the beach since DD loves the water, sand and beach so much. We all eat lunch and just relax in the sun and shade (we always pick somewher that has a restaurant attached since DH is not a big sun person). We have the stroller along so DD can nap if needed.

Julie

On a bus with designated seating (meaning the took a head count to fill the bus) contact the shore excursion desk in advance and let them know you are bringing a baby who will need a seat. My GD was 6 MO and we brought her in her car seat. It was not a problem except to let them know so they didn't fill up that spot with a person.

What about taking excursions with a baby? I'm still on the fence on this. How would we handle shore excursions if we take our baby?

Well it depends on what you would want to do. If touring the islands or doing beach stops is part of your plans, then no problems with the baby. :)

If you want to be swimming with sharks, the baby might be an issue. ;) :D

I see you are from Tampa, so since you are so close to beaches, you may not want to do more beach trips while on a cruise. So I guess the question is, what kind of tours did you want to do?

Archived