Istanbul dinner suggestions - help!

I'm so excited! The shore excursion info has arrived and am now trying to work out best value. Have decided to do most of Istanbul on our own but the ship (Queen Victoria) is offering Pantocrator Monastery and Dinner @ $AUD 160 each or the Whirling Dervishes & Dinner at Sirkeci Train station @ $AUD 110 each. I am with hubby and 14 yr old daughter (who will be charged at adult prices). Has anyone had experience with either? Or any other suggestions would be welcome.

JannieAnn

I'm not too conversant with AUD exchange rates, but in my experience the ship's tours (especially for meals and shows) are usually only a good deal for people who are timid about exploring on their own (which it sounds like you aren't), or where transportation is problematic, or where access is limited. Istanbul has excellent public transportation and is a fun place to explore on your own.

Check out www.dancesofcolours.com -- they offer whirling dervishes or Turkish variety dancing (depending on the date) for 30 Turkish lira per person, which I believe would be about 28 AUD. We enjoyed the whirling dervish show with Sufi music.

Our dinner for 2 at Hamdi (a rather touristy place) was 59 TYL, or about 28 AUD per person. You could probably have an even cheaper and more authentic dinner, with a little research at the TripAdvisor Istanbul forum. They would also be a good source of info on the Pantocrater Monastery, which I'm not familiar with.

I'm so excited! The shore excursion info has arrived and am now trying to work out best value. Have decided to do most of Istanbul on our own but the ship (Queen Victoria) is offering Pantocrator Monastery and Dinner @ $AUD 160 each or the Whirling Dervishes & Dinner at Sirkeci Train station @ $AUD 110 each. I am with hubby and 14 yr old daughter (who will be charged at adult prices). Has anyone had experience with either? Or any other suggestions would be welcome.

JannieAnn

The current rate of exchange has $160 AUD = 172 TRY. I'm certain you can get an excellent dinner in many fine restaurants for MUCH less per person. We've spent time in Istanbul but not the monastery.....check out restaurant advice on the Istanbul forum on trip advisor..................Marty

Hi JannieAnne and welcome to Cruise Critic!!

I see you are from the Central Coast- so are we! We live in Terrigal -whereabouts are you?

We will also be in Istanbul next month prior to our Norwegian Jade cruise. I am also travelling with my husband and 2 daughters aged 12 and 15. We are planning to do most tourist attractions on our own.

Of the 2 options for dinner you've posted the Whirling Deverishes one sounds good to me, but obviously it's up to you. Some other options for dinner with entertainment in Istanbul are the Galata Tower, Orient House and ? Sultana's. You may try googling these - I think cost is usually around 50-60 $US per person and some include transport. May be a slightly cheaper option.

Anyway, have fun planning and happy cruising,

Aussiecruzer:) :) .

Hi Aussiecruzer!

Small world isn't it! We are at Berkeley Vale. Thanks for the info. Yes Istanbul does seem to be quite doable ourselves and as we have a rare overnighter am looking forward to having dinner out. Will probably skip the ship's suggestions. We will arrive off Queen Victoria at Noon Sunday Oct 12 and have Monday also. Am I right in thinking the Hagia Sophia is closed on Monday's? The ship's excursion is including it for that day....all the more reason to do it ourselves!

Wow JannieAnne, amazingly small world!! I work in Berkely Vale!

You are right about Aya Sophia being closed on Mondays. Here is a link to a site I have found quite useful in planning our time in Istanbul.

http://www.letsgoistanbul.com/1day.asp

Is your daughter excited about the trip? My 2 girls certainly are!!

Best Wishes,

Aussiecruzer:) :)

Hi again Aussiecruzer!

You don't work at a school do you???? That would be too funny!

Thanks for the link. It's just what I need.

Yes, both hubby and daughter and excited but I just wish they'd take more interest in the research/planning and take some of the load off me, but I'm really enjoying it. Pity the house looks a mess...but life's too short.

Hi JannieAnne,

No I don't work at the school, I'm a GP at the Berkeley Vale Medical Centre which is not far from BV High School. Do you work there?

I do all the research and planning for our trips too, but I really enjoy it too. I think all the planning is more than half the fun. Keeps me busy for months! Anyway, I have to warn you, now that you've discovered Cruise Critic - it can be quite addictive! If you think you're house looked a mess before, watch out now;) ! But as you say, life's too short - lots of places to visit! Have you cruised before? We did our first cruise last year to the Western Med and we all loved it. Now I'm hooked.:) :)

Aussiecruzer.

Yes AussieCruzer this is addictive! Up late last night and at it again this morning. Have a set time limit today.

I work at Narara Valley High as a library assistant and it was my boss (the librarian) that I have to thank for all this. She is a cruise fan and that along with the students doing an assignment on travelling overseas got me hooked. Hubby and I have been to London and Ireland (before child!) and Disneyworld in Florida (with child!) but this is our first cruise. Next time I'm taking my Mum or Aunt to the doctors, I'll look out for you! What other ports are you going to??

Hi again JannieAnne,

Ah, so you've already had to start limiting your time on cruise critic!!;)

Our cruise starts in Istanbul and we are flying in a day early - flying with Emirates via Dubai. Our other ports are Izmir ( Ephesus) , Mykonos, Santorini, Iraklion( Crete), then overnight in Alexandria, Egypt ( yipeeee- we should get to see the pyramids :) :) - this has long been a dream of mine), then we stop at Corfu, Katakolon( Olympia) ,and end in Athens before flying back home. There are a couple of sea days too. What is your itinerary?

This is my email if you have any queries.

susmitanaidu@hotmail.com

Sizzle sisters (great picture by the way!) - you could try looking on the Tripadvisor website - I think Seven Hills restaurant has some good reveiws and excellent views, but no entertainment.

Best wishes, Aussiecruzer.

Archived