Mask/Snorkel rental question

I'm wondering if there are any "prescription" masks available for rental on Coco Cay? DH is really quite blind without his glasses, so wearing a normal mask he won't be able to see anything! Are there any masks available that are magnifying or prescription? If not, we may buy one this weekend before we leave. Thanks for the help!

Lynnette

I'm wondering if there are any "prescription" masks available for rental on Coco Cay? DH is really quite blind without his glasses, so wearing a normal mask he won't be able to see anything! Are there any masks available that are magnifying or prescription? If not, we may buy one this weekend before we leave. Thanks for the help!

Lynnette

While I am not for sure I would say I doubt it. The key is you said prescription and usually that means you have to get your prescription put into the mask. Now depending on when your cruise is you can have one made with your husbands prescription in it and then he can use it everyplace you snorkel for years to come. I had one of these years ago so I know they are available. Go to your local dive shop or google on the Internet for Prescription snorkel mask, you should find something. If you order one you obviously will need a copy of your husband prescription on hand.

Best of luck and consider it an investment if you think he will use it more than once a CoCo.

You definitely won't find any special snorkel equipment like that on Coco Cay. What they provide is more than adequate for use in the water, but it isn't considered "top quality" equipment. When you approach the rental hut, you'll notice they already have the equipment put together and ready to pick up. (More like McDonald's than Burger King ... no special orders.) If your husband doesn't wear contacts, then you should definitely try to find him a customized mask. I see by your countdown clock that you probably don't have time to do this, but maybe you'll have luck finding a magnifying mask.

I'm also a Gaijin Mom (once removed) - my son lives/works in Nagoya. Have a GREAT time on your cruise without the kids, and I sure hope you enjoy Coco Cay both under and above the water!! :cool:

After watching how the rental snorkel equipement is cleaned and stored, I was REALLY glad I purchased my own. It's not really that expensive and you can get try on and get the mask that will work best for your DH.

Nothing like sticking a piece of rubber in your mouth that's been in thousands of other mouths.

Some of the ships actually have a limited selection of prescription masks that they will rent out. My husband rented on on Mariner in December that worked well for him.

We did actually rent a magnified mask on Labadee, but that was several years ago, before we invested in our own equipment. So, I would say that there is a chance that you might find one on Coco Cay.

After watching how the rental snorkel equipement is cleaned and stored, I was REALLY glad I purchased my own. It's not really that expensive and you can get try on and get the mask that will work best for your DH.

Nothing like sticking a piece of rubber in your mouth that's been in thousands of other mouths.

Gaak!:eek:

You've got that right! But, I've never heard of anyone going "toes up" from a rental snorkel.:p

How did you decide where to buy your equipment from and what equipment to get?

How did you decide where to buy your equipment from and what equipment to get?

We visit FL every year for a land based vacation. There are large discount stores called Diver Direct that we like. They have reasonable prices and decent equipement. Last year I purchased a snorkle vest for my wife for around $30. The vests they hand out as rentals often have been stored wet and smell of mold. We also purchased our masks, dry snorkels (keeps the water out), fins and carry bag from them.

It's not pro-gear but it's better than what you get at the discount chains like Walmart or Target. It's worked plenty good for what our usage has been and it's in good shape and hasn't had anyone else's snot in the mask or spit in the mouth piece.

We visit FL every year for a land based vacation. There are large discount stores called Diver Direct that we like. They have reasonable prices and decent equipement. Last year I purchased a snorkle vest for my wife for around $30. The vests they hand out as rentals often have been stored wet and smell of mold. We also purchased our masks, dry snorkels (keeps the water out), fins and carry bag from them.

It's not pro-gear but it's better than what you get at the discount chains like Walmart or Target. It's worked plenty good for what our usage has been and it's in good shape and hasn't had anyone else's snot in the mask or spit in the mouth piece.

Unfortunately for snorkel gear, we live in central ohio and our choices are Wal-mart type stores, Dick's sporting goods (almost as expensive as the dive shop, but nearly the quality) or a dive shop. I'm considering the Internet, but I have no idea how to decide sizes via the Internet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

One option that I used to use was taking the arms off an old pair of glasses and wedging it in to the mask. Works adequately. Due to the refractive aspect of the water, even old glasses should work fine. I bought the mask at WalMart and used it that way for years. We took our own masks and snorkels, and rented the fins where we went.

Last year I finally broke down and bought a prescrition mask from Diver's Direct. They have a website where I learned about them, and then I stopped in their store near Mallory Square in Key West. I am extremely pleased with the mask. Each lens is separate, and one can buy the lenses according to the diopter. We also got our own fins, so we are free to go where we want.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I won't ever again use rental equipment, yuck.

Ever since we rented equipment in Cozumel that was kept in a bucket of water behind the counter.

I bought a good mask in Austin and buy everything else from Scuba.com.

They have lots of sales and ship quickly.

Now everyone in the family has their own equipment.

I wear contacts and have never had any problem snorkeling, nor does anyone else in our gang.

Unfortunately for snorkel gear, we live in central ohio and our choices are Wal-mart type stores, Dick's sporting goods (almost as expensive as the dive shop, but nearly the quality) or a dive shop. I'm considering the Internet, but I have no idea how to decide sizes via the Internet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

We recently bought a prescription mask on-line for DW from Snorkel Mart www.snorkel-mart.com ($64.95 +4.60 shipping) and had it within two weeks. Very pleased with the whole process, they even have an easy to use lens calculator that figures everything out for you. All you need to do is have a copy of your prescription in hand and pick out a color. They also have anything else you might want. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info. I just didn't think to look into it soon enough. One dive shop I checked had prescription masks available, but not strong enough for dh :( . Oh well, maybe next time! I'll check on board and at Coco Cay on the off chance that something is available. We leave tomorrow, so not much can dampen the mood now - snorkeling or no snorkeling - doens't really matter, just get me on my vacations!!! :D

Lynnette

:D

Thanks for all the info. I just didn't think to look into it soon enough. One dive shop I checked had prescription masks available, but not strong enough for dh :( . Oh well, maybe next time! I'll check on board and at Coco Cay on the off chance that something is available. We leave tomorrow, so not much can dampen the mood now - snorkeling or no snorkeling - doens't really matter, just get me on my vacations!!! :D

Lynnette

If you decide not to snorkel, there is a nature trail we enjoyed last August. It was hot and humid - take plenty of water if you decide to do it. Here is a link to my pictures:

ENJOY - I wish I was going with you.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Back from our cruise! Thought I'd let you all know what we found out...went to the Explorations desk onboard and asked about masks. Coco Cay DOES have magnified masks, available in about three different strengths. But they are very limited. The guy at the desk said there were about 15 available, first come first served. So we made sure to get to the island early in the morning and had no problems getting a mask for dh to wear. His prescription is pretty strong -- -7 or so and while the mask wasn't 100% strong enough for him, he still saw everything just fine and we enjoyed about two hours of snorkeling together! Yea! :) Hope the info helps someone else out too!

Now...to plan the next cruise! :p

Lynnette

I just recently looked into getting a Rx mask from my local dive shop. If he is merely near sighted, a dive shop can get him a custom mask pretty quickly. However, if he has a bad astigmatism (like I do), then they will have to most likely send the mask out to have special lenses glued in or however they do it. This will take a week or so and probably be about $100 plus the price of the mask. I dive so infrequently anymore that I just decided to keep wearing my contacts.

Archived