Athens / Acropolis guides - prices??

Ok you've all convinced me that Athens is doable on our own...but my concern is that hubby and teenager will not want to research or read guidebooks and I don't want to be their guide/leader (I need to relax too!:cool:)

So I'm thinking we might hook up with a guide at the Acropolis. What would they charge?

I also recall coming across a link for guided walking tours somewhere. Has anyone done this?

JannieAnn

We were at the Acropolis last week. Guides were

available at the entrance. The prices are kind of

negotiable based on the number of people. There

were 3 of us and the guide wanted 15 euro per person.

7 more people came around and we formed a group.

Final price was 10 euro per person. We took it.

Nice tour and lots of information given about the

Acropolis and surrounding areas as we walked through.

Get there early in the morning before all the tour

buses arrive. Becomes very crowded.

It sounds like you are the one interested in the historical aspect of what you see but the spouse and kid might not really care. They just want to see something different, get some great pictures and talk about it later to friends. At which time you can chime in a couple of historical aspects because you are the one who likes to read up on it all before you go. If I am totally off base, I apologize.

But basically this describes my situation. I'm the husband who likes to read up on everything and find out where to go and what to see and what the history is. I make the plans, my family follows. I feel like the tour guide sometimes and must make sure I include things interesting for everyone. I am by no means complaining, I love to do it. But my son (18) just cares that he was there and if it's a long tour, he will be bored. My wife, not that she doesn't care, but she cherishes the moments with her family in a place that she probably never dreamed she would see in real life and enjoys it for all the aesthetic aspects. Yes we have taken tours and listened to guides, but sometimes, they do get a little long winded and sometimes it is too much to take in.

So where am I going with this, maybe if you have already read what you need to enjoy what you see, your family doesn't need anything else. So do you need the guided tour? Save money for the next attraction or that momento you can't live without.

We were just in Athens a few weeks ago and it is very easy to do on your own. I even read exerpts from the guidebook to my family about what we are seeing and I'm not sure if they even care then,but I love to do it and we enjoy it. That's the main thing. Enjoy. Have a good time.

We did the Acropolis a few weeks ago with our extended family of 13. We went early...no lines...hardly any people for a period of time. We elected to not use a guide and thoroughly enjoyed it on our own. Some of us did some reading...that sufficed.

Hey, glad to hear I could find another travelor in the same situation. Everyone's different, no sense in making someone go through something they may not really care to. It's a vacation after all. Relax and everything will come together. By the way, here's a few things I found as this was my first time to Athens.

It's quite a walk (not strenuous at all) from the port to the metro stop. I am not sure how much a cab would be, but it's about a 20-30 minute walk the shorter time if you find the right street to exit on. I think we might have taken the "long way" out but not the wrong way. There are a lot of cab drivers outside waiting for you but just make sure if you opt for the cab to make sure of the fare first. It's easy to find the Metro, but just keep walking with the water on your left side. It's across the street (kind of) from the Ferry side of the port. Make sure you get on the metro going in the right direction and the stop we got off was at Monastriaki. You can google Athens Metro and get a good metro map. I didn't ask for directions, but maybe should have so I would be pointed in the right direction. We did look up and see the Acropolis and started heading there. But the signage is not good. So just keep going straight up or as straight as you can. You will eventually run into a gate which may nto be the main gate but you can still buy tickets there (12 Euros to the Acroplis and about 5 other attactions). Have a great time.

Thanks for the info Culator. Yes we will probably walk to the Metro - I'm keen to save the Euros and lose the weight! However I was wondering if it was much of a hike up to the top of the Acropolis - is it very steep?

The hike to the top of the Acropolis is a reasonable mix of sloped and flat terrain plus stairs. (See photos in the link below as well as review in another link).

We had done a lot of reading pre-cruise and attended the onboard lecture (which was fabulous) so we did not hire a guide. Going rate offered to us was 20E for two and we would have negotiated that downward.

It was awesome - interesting and wonderful views of Athens. Rocks a bit slippery for part of the final walk.

Have a wonderful time.

Kathy:)

Thanks for the info Culator. Yes we will probably walk to the Metro - I'm keen to save the Euros and lose the weight! However I was wondering if it was much of a hike up to the top of the Acropolis - is it very steep?

For us, it wasn't the walk up the Acropolis that was hot and tiring, it was the walk from the train station up (and I mean UP!) to the Acropolis. The walk to the train was easy and pleasant and about 30 minutes. :)

Archived