Special Dining Requests?

LVGlenn

I've seen people post generally before about making special requests in the dining room to order something off the menu. I know I've done this in restaraunts, and it always feels special, like the chef is making something just for you. I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with making special requests and had any stories they wanted to share?

Actually, I'm just looking for any excuse to daydream about where I'll be three weeks from Sunday! :o

You can order two entrees, or several appetizers, or requests like that, but I don't think they're all that good with "Please put my sauce on the side", "I want broccoli, not asparagus" and so on. (Due to the fact that they are plating hundreds if not thousands of meals at once.)

Our last cruise on the Rhapsody, they had Key Lime pie for dessert and I told the waiter I was going to ask for more on the second night and to save me some. I don't think he believed me but when I did he went and found some and actually brought me some every night until about the last night when they finally ran out. One night it was actually just made and they did not have time to fully decorate it, so I know it was fresh.

I have never had a reasonable request refused. (of course I dont think I have made an unreasonable request)_I have asked for a different vegetable than what appeared on the menu, and received it. I have also asked for deserts other than are on the menu and received them.

I don't care for red sauces at all, but like typical red-sauce meals (like veal parmigiana). I DO like ketchup (even on steak!), and will always request that no tomatoe sauce be put on pasta dishes, etc., and that ketchup is always at hand!! I've never had a problem......

Michele

I've heard of people asking for shrimp cocktails as their appetizer every night and getting it. I think it all depends on your waiter. On our first night, I asked for lemon with my water. Every night after that, there was fresh cut up lemon waiting for us at our table. I like a waiter who remembers what you like. He got a good tip!

A good waiter is going to do that for you -- we got the unlimited soda cards when we got on the ship - a great value for us because DH and I are -huge- soda drinkers. After the first night when we flashed our cards to show we had unlimited soda, we never had to again :) And there was always sliced lemon on the table because we like lemon in our soda.

The important thing is to give them ample notice to make any neccesary preparations. It also helps to ask nicely.

On AOS last month, one of our dinnermates enjoyed the shrimp scampi very much one night and informed our waiter that she'd like to have the same entree the following night. No problem. The next night, the waiter and maitre d' treated her like royalty as they made quite a presentation when bringing out her shrimp scampi.

On Millennium 2 years ago, our entire table had shrimp cocktail every night. No problem.

On Zenith 3 years ago, one of our dinnermates asked for Jamaican rice and peas (which was never on the menu) and they brought it out for him. No problem.

On every cruise, I've have cheesecake (mmmm... my weakness) at least a few times when it wasn't on the menu. No problem.

The possibilities are endless (within reason). ;)

On the Grand Princess in 2000, my brother in law (we were gettting maried so the whole family was with us) asked the waiter if he could have steak tartar, and they said they would make it for him the next night, and they did.

While on the Splendour 12 night cruise last November, my DH and I were at a table for two and the second night our waiter accidently brought me a sugar free dessert and I kidded him about thinking I was fat. Every night after that he brought one of every dessert on the menu to our table. (I waddled out of the dining room the last night!!!) Boy did he get a good tip!

Archived