New York Restaurants

Rallytime1975

We are looking for a nice restaraunt to attend before our broadway show. We are looking for a place ths is open on Saturday and will take reservations.

We dont drink so we are looking to spend under 100 for the couple.

Love to get some suggestions...first time to NY for my wife!

Cory

One of my favorites is Carmine's. It is an Italian restaurant that serves food family style. I would guess that each dish serves 4-6 people. It is on 44th street, which is within the theater district. Depending on what you want and how much of it you want it would range from $40-$80. It is always crowded, so I would highly recommend a reservation.

Here is the website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/

If you like Asian, try Tao or Mr. Chow's. Both are fantastic and take reservations.

Mr. Chow's is a little different than most 'chinese' restaurants- if you are up to trying new things, your waiter will do the ordering for you. You can tell him/her what you like or don't like and they will customize the menu for you. You can also from the menu if you'd like. It's a fun place and the meal we had was fantastic.

Tao has a great menu- lots of little appetizers, dumplings and such. The entrees are fantastic and are enough to share in most cases.

If you like Italian, I've heard Il Vagabondo (sp?) is really good as well.

As a previous poster stated- check out menupages dot com. The menus are all there and reviews from diners as well!

I personally love Ollies (42nd and 9th). It's a nice atmosphere, but not anything fancy or pricey. Just very good authentic chinese food in the Times Square area. - Reservation not needed, but I would make one just in case.

I was going recommend Carmine's at first (44th and &th Ave/Broadway), but rcoaster beat me to it. Very good Italian food, nice size portions. Right in the heart of Times Square, so there would be no need to rush to your show afterwards -- Reservation needed for sure.

What i'm more interested in.. What show are you seeing?!?

Ruby Foo's is right there in Times Square. Asian and Sushi.

On 57th is Hawiian Tropic restaurant....Fun atmosphere if you don't have kids (girls in bikini's) Good food...menu is by David Burke

Small Restaurant on 44or 45 Italian Called Doppo De Teatro...Very nice small...

I usually try to get to Carmine's...Its family style, fab food, great waiters, just busy and noisy...We were there last Saturday and they get lines after 5pm... go around 4/4:30 and you shouldn;t have too much of a wait, after that, I would try somewhere else cause the pre-theater crowd gets busy and its a more rushed atmosphere (they may tell you when you sit at 4pm that you need to be out by 5:30 because of pre-fix reservations, but just yes the hostess and don't feel rushed. Your waiter wants his tip, the kitchen takes time making good food, and they won't throw you out or say a word, they just don't want you lingering till 7pm)

I should add I'm a theater junkie and when I have a guest, I take them to Carmine's. Most consider it a part of the theater expierience here...

Have Fun!

A friend and I went to an off Broadway show and after had dinner in a Vietnamese restaurant called Saigon 48, on 48th between 8th and Broadway....menupages.com says $$$ but we were very pleased at the prices, portions, service and quality.....I don't know if you need reservations.........

Everyone beat me to the punch with Carmines and Ruby Foos , but I highly reccomend them also.

If you want a good steak house I recommend Sparks 46th bet 2nd and 3rd.

Excellent steaks (all they serve ).

Its probably best known as the place where "Big Paul" Catellano got whacked in front off *LOL*. But its really a beautiful place with great food. :)

Everyone beat me to the punch with Carmines and Ruby Foos , but I highly reccomend them also.

If you want a good steak house I recommend Sparks 46th bet 2nd and 3rd.

Excellent steaks (all they serve ).

Its probably best known as the place where "Big Paul" Catellano got whacked in front off *LOL*. But its really a beautiful place with great food. :)

Sparks isn't what it used to be... unfortunately

Hey Ralley what type of food do you like? You are in the middle of what we call the Tourist Spot Trough!

This is one of my favorites and you may even see some celebs.. pretty reasonable and the food and service are impressive

http://www.chezjosephine.com/

Sparks isn't what it used to be... unfortunately

Hey Ralley what type of food do you like? You are in the middle of what we call the Tourist Spot Trough!

This is one of my favorites and you may even see some celebs.. pretty reasonable and the food and service are impressive

http://www.chezjosephine.com/

Really?????

Last time I was there maybe 3 years ago it was still great.

I hate when that happens to a place I enjoy :(

Other recommendations:

Bruno Restaurant

(212) 688-4190

240 E 58th St, New York, NY 10022

If you want something quick and cheap -This is by far the best pizza in all of NY-

Completely homemade.. square pie serves two!.. I have been going here for almost 20 yrs whenever I am in Manhattan

http://www.lazzaraspizza.com/html/press.php (West 38th between 7th and 8th)

So good... they are closed saturday and sunday but have another location that just opened that will be open 7days

LAZZARA'S PIZZA'S 2ND LOCATION WILL OPEN IN HELLS KITCHEN THIS SEPTEMBER , 617 9TH AVE BETWEEN 43RD AND 44TH STREET

WE WILL BE OPENED 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK. WE LOOK FORWARD TO SERVING YOU !

http://www.lazzaraspizza.com/html/home.php

TIME OUT NEW YORK JUST RATED LAZZARA'S PIZZA IN ITS TOP 10 BEST PIZZA IN NEW YORK!

CONGRATULATIONS !

and you must utilize this site when coming into NYC.. its fantastic

http://www.newyorkled.com/

Carmine's and even Virgil's BBQ(same owners is quite good.

My all time favorite is

http://churrascariaplataforma.com/

Don't eat much all day.

I was going to recommend a churrascaria plataforma! But then, I figured you wouldn't want to be in that state while sitting still at a Broadway show.

For those who don't know, a Churrascaria is a Brazilian restaurant that is all you can eat. Servers come around with different kinds of meats and their are constant bowls of mashed potatoes and other sides on your table. You have a coaster that is green on one side and red on the other. When green is face up, the servers come by, one after the other, nonstop! When you are done, you turn it over to the red side. Pretty simple, except you never want to turn it over to the red because there is always a new meat comign around. I never felt so full, yet satisfied, in my life. It is a great experience but not before sitting in a chair for over 2 hours watching a show. You are going to want to enjoy the show, not your dinner hours later ;)

There are a lot of restaurants that are great. Bobby Van's steak is good, Sushisamba (Brazilian-sushi), North Square (American), Buddakan (Asian Fusian), Indochine (French), etc. But you probably don't want to eat too early and you probably don't want to rush to the show. To save all troubles, I would go with Carmine's.

Where is your hotel? You could also eat closer to the hotel before you commute to Times Square. Then we could all come up with good places around there so you are not stuck in Touristville

I was going to recommend a churrascaria plataforma! But then, I figured you wouldn't want to be in that state while sitting still at a Broadway show.

For those who don't know, a Churrascaria is a Brazilian restaurant that is all you can eat. Servers come around with different kinds of meats and their are constant bowls of mashed potatoes and other sides on your table. You have a coaster that is green on one side and red on the other. When green is face up, the servers come by, one after the other, nonstop! When you are done, you turn it over to the red side. Pretty simple, except you never want to turn it over to the red because there is always a new meat comign around. I never felt so full, yet satisfied, in my life. It is a great experience but not before sitting in a chair for over 2 hours watching a show. You are going to want to enjoy the show, not your dinner hours later ;)

There are a lot of restaurants that are great. Bobby Van's steak is good, Sushisamba (Brazilian-sushi), North Square (American), Buddakan (Asian Fusian), Indochine (French), etc. But you probably don't want to eat too early and you probably don't want to rush to the show. To save all troubles, I would go with Carmine's.

Where is your hotel? You could also eat closer to the hotel before you commute to Times Square. Then we could all come up with good places around there so you are not stuck in Touristville

I was thinking Buddakan when I thought about Ruby Foos, but its a bit of a ways from the theater district and depending on when you get seated it would be a rush to get to the show. Plus you ain't getting out of there for under $100 a couple .

But that is a really nice place with great food

Buddakahn is GREAT but the tab will be way more than $100.

Asia de Cuba is awesome but really trendy crowd...

Also, if you tell us where in the city you are and what food you like, we could help.

And if you are at a good hotel, the concierge can give you some recommendations and sometimes will even call over and secure you a seat at a place that won't take reservations. (They don't ask but I'll slip them a couple of dollars when they do that)

Menupages is a great resource to check out various restaurants and their menus.

We wanted to try something absolutely totally different than what we can do here in Oklahoma and went to a Scottish restaurant called St. Andrews. It's just east of the theatre district but very much within walking distance of the best of Broadway. Really unique menu and a great atmosphere. Didn't try the haggis however

Your choices for dining in Manhattan are amazing. Don't forget to have a Sabrett's hot dog from a corner cart. They're great!!

Thanks so far for all the suggestions...keep them coming we will be there 2 days prior and 3/4 day after the sailing...

Thanks again!

Hey Rally

Go to the link I posted above.. for restaurant week.. that will really help and there are great selections

Also while in nyc, you may want to keep this number in your cell!

"Here's a number worth putting in your cell phone.

This is an awesome service from Google and its free...great when you

are on the road. Just click on the link provided.

http://www.google.com/goog411/

Very Cool and also works on the home phone"

Hi everyone, we are going to NYC for 5 nights on Aug 19th...

Can you tell me more about Carmines? - I understand family style, but what if we all want different items? there are 2 adults/2 kids.

We have reservations at Tavern on the Green for dinner, Brunch at Palm Court in the Plaza and we were going to go to Ellen's Stardust for lunch before Wicked.

Any problems with those choices? Thanks :)

Menupages is a great resource to check out various restaurants and their menus.

We wanted to try something absolutely totally different than what we can do here in Oklahoma and went to a Scottish restaurant called St. Andrews. It's just east of the theatre district but very much within walking distance of the best of Broadway. Really unique menu and a great atmosphere. Didn't try the haggis however

Your choices for dining in Manhattan are amazing. Don't forget to have a Sabrett's hot dog from a corner cart. They're great!!

Best place for dogs in NYC Grays Papaya.. 72nd St!!!!!

Thanks so far for all the suggestions...keep them coming we will be there 2 days prior and 3/4 day after the sailing...

Thanks again!

Just a few questions

What types of restaurants do you like Italian, Asian etc.

Where will you be staying?

What play are you going to see?

Have you been to NYC, How Familiar are you to the area?

Archived