New York Restaurants

Rallytime1975

Best Deli in NYC

The Stage Deli ...7th ave around 53rd St

A corned beef and pastrami sandwich, a kinish , a couple Dr. Browns Cream sodas , and a slice of cheesecake . You won't need to eat again until you are back home 5 days later *LOL*

Seriously though ....great food :)

The cheesecake is just unbelieveable

Best Deli in NYC

The Stage Deli ...7th ave around 53rd St

A corned beef and pastrami sandwich, a kinish , a couple Dr. Browns Cream sodas , and a slice of cheesecake . You won't need to eat again until you are back home 5 days later *LOL*

Seriously though ....great food :)

The cheesecake is just unbelieveable

AHHHHHH Tuna Salad sandwich with a Dr Browns Cel-ray soda... omg@@:D

Casshew:

For a family of four at Carmine's I would get a pasta and a meat dish that everyone would like.

Appetizers are yummy too.

You will end up with more than you can eat for 2 days if you each order your own entree. We went with 6 and had 2 meat 2 pasta and we were all adults and went home with almost a whole pasta dish and a few pieces of meat....Dishes are standard Italian options with some specialties....lots of choices even with kids....Fab food....

Casshew:

For a family of four at Carmine's I would get a pasta and a meat dish that everyone would like.

You will end up with more than you can eat for 2 days if you each order your own entree. We went with 6 and had 2 meat 2 pasta and we were all adults and went home with almost a whole pasta dish and a few pieces of meat....Dishes are standard Italian options with some specialties....lots of choices even with kids....Fab food....

I agree :)

Do not each get your own entree. Wayyyyyyy too much food (and I am a big eater)

http://www.opentable.com is a great place for online reservation availability and reviews. You can also search by cuisine, neighbourhood, etc.

Tao was great! My mum and I really enjoyed it. We also dined at Babbo, one of Mario Batali's restaurants, but it's down in Greenwich Village and books out a month ahead. Well worth the coin dropped there.

Another great option midtown or uptown would be Dos Caminos for trendy Mexican food. I believe it's owned by the same group as Ruby Foo's and they own Fiamma, another great Italian restaurant too.

If you're foodies at all, there are some great walking tours you can do while you're sightseeing. I did the Greenwich Village and Meatpacking District tours through http://www.foodsofny.com and they gave a great overview of the neighbourhoods along with yummy samples along the way too!

Many people are taking advantage of cruising out of NY and doing their own thing for a couple of days before cruising....

Don't be rude....:eek:

Not trying to be rude, but this is a cruise discussion board; not one about eating in NYC. This thread started out asking about where to eat in NY, not something like, 'we'll be in NY for a couple of days before our cruise, any suggestions on where to eat'? Whole different thing! ;)

A lot of good ideas here. You can also try the website for Zagat: http://www.zagat.com/Index.aspx?ULOC=TY%3dZR%26D%3dNew%2bYork%2bCity%26RS%3dGeo%2bZagat%2bRegion%257cNew%2bYork%2bCity%26RID%3d35%26SV%3d1&SRL=1. I absolutely second some of the suggestions here. I love Tao (especially the Taotini's) and the lunch pre-fix is fabulous. Gray's Papaya is an institution - yum! I am not as enthusiastic about Carmine's as everyone else, but there is nothing wrong with it. You will get huge portions of good, hearty food. I am not a big fan of many of the touristy theatre district restaurants. You can be greatly rewarded by going a little bit out of your way. Also, If you just want a quick, cheap but fabulous hamburger try http://goodburgerny.com/ Anyway, here are a few of my favorites from two popular types of cuisine.

Latino: Chimichurri Grill, Zarela, Sofrito, Victor's Cafe

Asian: Peking Duck House, (52nd street or Mott), Pampano, Tao, Mr. K's,

Tavern on the Green, while not my favorite food, is one of my favorite places. My dear aunt was married there in the late '70's, and it was our place for lunch. As an adult, I would go to hear the incomparable Nancy LaMott (1951-1995). It is a magical place to make memories. I hope you and your family love it as much as I do and make beautiful memories of your own :) . Enoy your visit to NYC and a wonderful cruise!!!

We are staying in NYC for 4 days before our cruise. I am reading about restaurant suggestions which are great. I have heard about Lindy's for cheescake since I was a teenager (which is more yeaars ago than I will mention). Is Lindy's still a popular place to go for cheesecake?

We are staying in NYC for 4 days before our cruise. I am reading about restaurant suggestions which are great. I have heard about Lindy's for cheescake since I was a teenager (which is more yeaars ago than I will mention). Is Lindy's still a popular place to go for cheesecake?

I'm sorry to say I have never had Lindy's......but Juniors is fabulous

Hi everyone, we are going to NYC for 5 nights on Aug 19th...

Can you tell me more about Carmines? - I understand family style, but what if we all want different items? there are 2 adults/2 kids.

We have reservations at Tavern on the Green for dinner, Brunch at Palm Court in the Plaza and we were going to go to Ellen's Stardust for lunch before Wicked.

Any problems with those choices? Thanks :)

Tavern is one of my favorites, and Im jealous that your going to Palm Court....never did it, always wanted to :)

Maybe a discussion about cruising?? :cool:

Feel free to not read this thread... its a precruise discusssion unless of course you are now Host KroozNut ?? :rolleyes: ... and BTW I am not the op ;)

Not trying to be rude, but this is a cruise discussion board; not one about eating in NYC. This thread started out asking about where to eat in NY, not something like, 'we'll be in NY for a couple of days before our cruise, any suggestions on where to eat'? Whole different thing! ;)

They WILL be cruising out of NY on the Miracle on 9/14 and are looking for a place to eat before hand.......Dont be so touchy.......while were at it, lets stop all posts regarding where to buy jewelry/cigars and booze while in port.......sheesh

We are very open to different foods. We are staying in Seacacus NJ but spending ALL day in Manhatten, except for the night before the cruise we are staying right off the lincoln tunnel...we are planning on walking everywhere.

We are going to young frankenstien at the Hilton Theater on Saturday the 14th of September.

I have only been to NY once, and i was in meetngs most of the time. But i have been researching and studying the streets and layout. I feel so far comfortable (untill i get there :) )

Just a few questions

What types of restaurants do you like Italian, Asian etc.

Where will you be staying?

What play are you going to see?

Have you been to NYC, How Familiar are you to the area?

Relax.....We are crusing.....We are sailing out of New York, and if your getting bent out of shape on a PORT queston take a chill.

I read SO MANY posts on this site, that are not 100% cruise related.

Casshew:

Thanks! I was thinking this would be a good place to go before Lion King.

Tavern is one of my favorites, and Im jealous that your going to Palm Court....never did it, always wanted to :)

Thanks! the kids are fussy eaters so the lunch and dinner menus were out, but the brunch menu was good for all of us.

We are going to take a carriage ride in central park afterwards :)

:rolleyes: Why on earth would you even open this thread if you weren't interested, the title clearly indicates what it's about, it couldn't have been a mistake. ;)

Archived