Halibut "Cheeks" - Where to find in Juneau or Ketchikan

BurBunny

This is a question which likely can only be answered by a local.

Years ago growing up in Alaska, I came to love halibut "cheeks." I know it's considered to be a less desirable product than other parts of the halibut, but when lightly battered and fried with salt and pepper, it has always been a favorite of mine.

Living now in the lower 48, it is of course impossible to find (used to get it right in the grocery at Carr's - sigh). I'm heading up in September and have time in Juneau and Ketchikan to go down memory lane, and one of the things I want most is some halibut cheeks. Anyone know of restaurants in either town which might serve it?

I always thought they were the best, as they were more tender and sweeter, but in the industry, at least back in the 70s, they were considered less desirable. Maybe the attitude on them has changed... which would be good as that would make my quest easier!

This is a question which likely can only be answered by a local.

Years ago growing up in Alaska, I came to love halibut "cheeks." I know it's considered to be a less desirable product than other parts of the halibut, but when lightly battered and fried with salt and pepper, it has always been a favorite of mine.

Living now in the lower 48, it is of course impossible to find (used to get it right in the grocery at Carr's - sigh). I'm heading up in September and have time in Juneau and Ketchikan to go down memory lane, and one of the things I want most is some halibut cheeks. Anyone know of restaurants in either town which might serve it?

You have this wrong. The cheeks are the best part of the halibut. Most one-time or occasional fishermen don't always know this. Also many don't bother to go to the work to cut out the cheeks for such little return. I don't know about Ketchikan or Juneau, but in Seward I was in a processor and they sold a bag of cheeks. I know that you can buy them in Valdez also, so I would be surprised if you can buy them at all the processors. Now the restaurant that would serve them would have to be on the higher end seafood restaurant just because most people won't know what cheeks are. Good luck in your hunt.

Janice

Rays in Seward was serving them about 10 days ago when we were there. Some in my group ate them and said they were delicious! I was never brave enough to ask what part of the fish they were, as I had to live down the embarrassment of asking about calf fries once many years ago.....

... I was never brave enough to ask what part of the fish they were, as I had to live down the embarrassment of asking about calf fries once many years ago.....

Ok, at the risk of humiliating myself :o , I'll do it. Here goes: What part of the fish are halibut cheeks? Of course, now I'm going to feel really stupid if if turns out they're the flesh on either side of the poor thing's face! :D

Your mention of calf fries reminds me of a joke my dad used to tell about Marilyn Monroe. When she was married to the playwright Arthur Miller, who was Jewish, she went to her mother-in-law's for dinner and was served matzoh ball soup. After enjoying it thoroughly, she turned to her hostess and said, "That was delicious, Mrs. Miller! Tell me, do you eat any other part of the matzoh?"

OK, enough thread hijacking, but I hope I gave you a giggle.

Here in Juneau, I just had cheeks at The Hanger but was disappointed. They wrapped pieces in bacon and that really overpowered the delicate flavor.

I believe I've seen cheeks on the menu at The Hot Bite out at Auke Bay, but like in a sandwich or wrap?

Good luck on the search! They're worth it.

Living now in the lower 48, it is of course impossible to find (used to get it right in the grocery at Carr's - sigh).

This doesn't help you at all, I'm sure :o, but I saw them for sale (raw) at the Pike Place Market in SEA last Sunday. The name caught my eye because I never thought of fish as having cheeks :rolleyes: :D .

Here in Juneau, I just had cheeks at The Hanger but was disappointed. They wrapped pieces in bacon and that really overpowered the delicate flavor.

I believe I've seen cheeks on the menu at The Hot Bite out at Auke Bay, but like in a sandwich or wrap?

Good luck on the search! They're worth it.

Wrapped in bacon? You're right - that would be overpowering. Simple is best! Thanks for the tip on The Hot Bite - perhaps they would serve them separately.

This doesn't help you at all, I'm sure :o, but I saw them for sale (raw) at the Pike Place Market in SEA last Sunday. The name caught my eye because I never thought of fish as having cheeks :rolleyes: :D .

Hmm, while we start the cruise in Vancouver, it's a repositioning, so we disembark in Seattle. I have time before my flight - might have to make a quick detour to Pike Place Market and see if they have some for me to bring back.

I'm really glad to see that cheeks aren't as unknown as I thought! Seems tastes have changed over time and the secret is out.

Ok, at the risk of humiliating myself :o , I'll do it. Here goes: What part of the fish are halibut cheeks?

:D I haven't noticed any buttocks on a fish before....so yes, they are the face cheeks.

I've noticed all animal cheeks being served in chi-chi places, so I think they're starting to get noticed. In a collection of family bios for Juneau, a member of a Japanese family said, as a girl in the 30's, she used to go get buckets full of them off the docks from the fisherman because they didn't want them. FOOLS!

I had them for the first time in a fancy French restaurant in Homer because I'd always wanted to try them and figured I could trust a French chef!

I understand you can order them online but haven't tried because I can get them fresh here in Juneau.

In a collection of family bios for Juneau, a member of a Japanese family said, as a girl in the 30's, she used to go get buckets full of them off the docks from the fisherman because they didn't want them. FOOLS!

Exactly. Most of the time we got them for next to nothing in Homer as the fishermen didn't care about them. They did harvest them, but they were secondary and they thought you were weird for wanting them. Was okay with me. They weren't often at Carr's, but when they were, Mom always picked them up and we had a special treat.

Gads I'm hungry for them now! Will have to scout out some places to order online, but still want some while I'm up there - of course they're best fresh.

My DH went fishing with a friend out of Homer after our recent cruise. They caught many large halibut and we had it shipped home and it has been awesome and tasty but the cheeks are to die for. We ate some fresh the night after the fishing trip but the rest we are savoring for later. It's kind of stringy like crab but not quite, a treat for sure, thank goodness our friend knew to keep it! :)

Appreciate the link! They have one of the better prices I've seen so far online to have some shipped.

Still hoping to find a restaurant in Juneau (more convenient than Auke Bay) or Ketchikan which serves these. Nothing like having some fresh!

My DH went fishing with a friend out of Homer after our recent cruise. They caught many large halibut and we had it shipped home and it has been awesome and tasty but the cheeks are to die for. We ate some fresh the night after the fishing trip but the rest we are savoring for later. It's kind of stringy like crab but not quite, a treat for sure, thank goodness our friend knew to keep it! :)

If it is stringy then you may be over cooking it. You basically just need to heat halibut thru and it should be kind of milky if it is not over cooked. Fresh or fresh frozen halibut also has no flavour of its own so it does need to be basted with a complimentry maranade or seasoning before or while cooking or barbequeing. It has replaced salmon as my favourite fish to eat.

Try calling and pre-ordering. They'll probably ship them for you without your even going in; If you go there they will pack them for your flight home:

Pure Food Fish Market

www.freshseafood.com

1511 Pike Pl

Seattle, WA 98101

(206) 622-5765

They are a delicacy and very popular here in Seattle. 'Pure Food Fish' is in the Pike Place Market. No, they don't throw their fish - avoid that fish company. If Pure doesn't have them try Jacks across the street:

Jack's Fish Spot

1514 Pike Pl

Seattle, WA 98101-1574

Phone: (206) 467-0514

If it is stringy then you may be over cooking it. You basically just need to heat halibut thru and it should be kind of milky if it is not over cooked. Fresh or fresh frozen halibut also has no flavour of its own so it does need to be basted with a complimentry maranade or seasoning before or while cooking or barbequeing. It has replaced salmon as my favourite fish to eat.

Thanks!! We had over 80 pounds shipped home so needless to say we will be cooking lots of halibut this year. We have mostly BBQ'd it so far and it has been good although I agree with you that DH is overcooking it. Please don't tell him I said that. :eek: :D He does season it and use butter and lemon to glaze it as it is cooking. We did buy the halibut cook book and I plan to use several of those recipes.

The best so far was last Saturday, we took some down to the beach and they deep fried a bunch in beer batter. It was totally awesome but I think that defeats the whole eating fish for health theory. :)

Thanks for the advice, salmon is still my favorite but I am working on loving the halibut too.

I see in my AAA tourbook that Annabelle's Keg and Chowder House in Ketchikan specifically offers halibut cheeks. This place is located in the Gilmour Hotel, across from the cruise ships docks. I have been trying to figure out just exactly what they are ever since I read about them. I am glad to hear that they are real!

Sounds like two terrific options! I believe I've read about Annabelles and Tracy's Crab Shack elsewhere as well, just not in connection with halibut cheeks. Might try emailing them the week before to make sure they have some on hand.

Thank you!

Archived