New York Street Vendors (food)

resstation

I always hear how great the street vendors food is in NY- hot dogs, etc.

We are going to be staying at the Marriott in Times Square and I'd love to get lunch from a street vendor to give it a try. Are there any particular ones that are better than others? Are there other *great* foods other than hot dogs? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

They are all over the place, but I wouldn't eat anything other than a hot dog unless you find a street fair that has vendors. I am in NY all the time and some of the vendor carts just don't look overly clean enough to me with some of the chicken and other things they cook.

The pretzels are great and see if you can find sugar coated peanuts.

If you want something fun, go to Shake Shack in Madison Square Park. They have great hamburgers and lemonade.

http://www.shakeshacknyc.com/

I got a knish from a cart last time I was there and it was good. I definitely agree with willysgrandma though - the Shake Shack is amazing! Don't be scared off if there is a long line - it moves pretty fast and the wait is worth it. The hamburgers are delicious and the custards are fabulous! I highly recommend it.

You'd be surprised. Some of the carts actually have good food and they're clean. If you're there during the week look for people in business clothes. That's usually a good sign. There is one near Carnegie on 56th & 7th that's very clean and it always has a long line.

I always hear how great the street vendors food is in NY- hot dogs, etc.

We are going to be staying at the Marriott in Times Square and I'd love to get lunch from a street vendor to give it a try. Are there any particular ones that are better than others? Are there other *great* foods other than hot dogs? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Eat anything you want from the carts. They are regulated and inspected just like any of the restaurants. The fraidy cats on this thread have no idea what happens in the kitchen of a regular restaurant, if they did they would only eat at the carts (at least you can see the kitchen).

To find out which cart is better than others, just check out the lines. The longer the line the better the food.

I'm in Manhattan for busness every week. Nonthing like cart Shwarma. Can't beat the meal you get for $5.00.

NY City food is among the cleanest in the US? Don't have to believe me. Every year some TV station does food cleanliness at sweeps time. The only city that almost always comes up clean is NY and that includes the food carts. Brooklyn Red Hook has a cart industry at the Parks there and they were all made to toe the Department of health's cleanliness standards which are very high.

Yes we have rats in the food stores but they don't eat the food they eat the garbage...

If you think your city/town/village is better you are probably wrong...

and the food vendors pay a fortune for some of the sites...they aren't fly by nights and need repeat customers...

I have to say one of my favorite things is the "beef on a stick" with hot sauce. It is really tasty! If you really want a great "dog" take a walk to Grey's Papaya, there are a few of them and IMHO, they have the best hot dogs! Also, if you can get down to Little Italy, get a rice ball with the spicy marinara.....truly a NY great and you can go to Ferrara's and get a canoli!

Archived