Best Shopping / Western Carribean

RAB1012

Hello, We are new to cruising, Could anyone tell me where the best shopping is in the Western Caribbean. We are going on RC Mariner of the Seas Sept. 21st. Any help or tips would help. Thanks

Hello, We are new to cruising, Could anyone tell me where the best shopping is in the Western Caribbean. We are going on RC Mariner of the Seas Sept. 21st. Any help or tips would help. Thanks

It might help to know what you wanted to buy...in general my opinion is that the western is not too good for general shopping although for some particular items it might be.

The wife and girls would like jewelry, things like that. also, just neat souvenirs. I have heard that some places just have junk. We did not want to go to those places. Thanks.

The wife and girls would like jewelry, things like that. also, just neat souvenirs. I have heard that some places just have junk. We did not want to go to those places. Thanks.

Treasure museum in Key west has some neat jewelry made from ship wreck silver.Bought some very nice carvings in Guatemala.G.C. has nice jewelry but kinda pricey.In San Miguel you should be able to find a likeable souvenir in one of the many shops along the strip or Las Palmas plaza.

It is really good to know prices before you leave home. It seems to me over the years that the jewelry in some of the port has gotten pricey and the quality is not always good. Shop with care.

You will see some lovely pieces.

Have fun and enjoy!

J

If you plan on buying any pricey jewlery, shop for it at home, learn what to look for and still be prepared to be "taken". Cruisers are very easy marks for some sales people, if the buyer isn't aware of what they are buying. (Many posts here re people over paying for inferior pieces. ) I save pricey jewelry buying for at home. Picking up something under a hundred or two on a cruise...then I don't worry as much.

Don't assume that a store recommended by the ship is going to give you anything special in deals either. If you buy an expensive piece, make sure there is a shop in the U.S. that you can work with if there is a problem.

If you plan on buying any pricey jewlery, shop for it at home, learn what to look for and still be prepared to be "taken". Cruisers are very easy marks for some sales people, if the buyer isn't aware of what they are buying. (Many posts here re people over paying for inferior pieces. ) I save pricey jewelry buying for at home. Picking up something under a hundred or two on a cruise...then I don't worry as much.

Don't assume that a store recommended by the ship is going to give you anything special in deals either. If you buy an expensive piece, make sure there is a shop in the U.S. that you can work with if there is a problem.

This is very good advice.

I always have like Cozumel, there are so many shops with everything from jewelry, leather goods, vanilla, t-shirts, etc.

If you don't find a good price in one shop walk down the street and chances are you will see it again. There was a purse I was looking at last year and it was marked $300, by the time I walked out he was offering me it at a price of $100 (I didn't really want it so I said no thanks), but it shows you that you do have to bargain for what you want, never pay full price.

Archived