excursions/mosquitoes/chiggers

pawrcw

Hi this is our first cruise. We are going to Costa Maya and Belize on the Grandeur of the Seas Feb 7 2009 sailing. Will there be many insects? Mostquitoes or chiggers etc?? Also, whom should we contact for excursions we want to see the ruins and also birding. Thanks for your help!!!:) :)

we didn't have any problems with bugs in belize, i am sure there are there...we had plenty of problems the day before in santo tomas.

at quirigua (santo tomas) we got off the bus and red welts starting showing up. we had bug spray...passed it around to everyone. i could not believe how many people were there, some with young kids, and no protection. quirigua is all grassy area, the 'skitters were coming up from the grass. saw people from earlier tours, red welts/scratches. once we sprayed it was fine.

at lamanai, ruins in belize, had no problems, the area is (mostly) in shade..

i still had the bug spray, just didn't need it.

we did the tours through our cruiseline..many of the tours, especially in belize, are all day tours. plus belize is a tender port...you don't just walk off the ship, you have to take a small boat into port. all of that takes time, ship's excurisons gets 1st off...plus we knew we were protected if the tour was late getting back. our guide said our tour was the 1st one that was on time in weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived