How far in advance do you book

lostinvegas

Following on from another topic I am intereted:

How far in advance do you book. We booked our first cruise about 6 weeks before it sailed, we had an inside cabin and only had the choice of 2 but the one we got was quite near midships and also quite near the lifts, we paid £990 each for 14 nights in the Med on Oceana (in May 2003)

more recenly we went on a 3 day cruise on Carnival Splendor and paid £250 each for an inside, again there were only 2 cabins available. This was also booked a few weeks in advance.

We have just booked a 15 night cruise of the Caribbien on Ventura with a guarentee on a balcony for £1980.00 each with £75.00 shipboard credit each. The cruise flys out on the 28th feb 2009.

We booked both P&O deals with Bolsover Cruise club who ourselves our parents and friends use. They have been very helpfull and always seem to have the best deals.

Because of my job its difficult to book holidays a long time in advance, I have tken a big risk with this one and may miss out on decent work because of it but I guess you only live one :)

There is no way we could book 12 months in advance as i don't know what I am doing in 2 months time nevermind next year. I was just wondering how far in advance everyone books and is it true you save a shedload booking a long while in advance?

Chris

Chris,

Our first cruise is coming up in just under two weeks and we booked in July 2007. Got a quote from Bolsover and found that Thomas Cook undercut them by approx. £300. We have booked a balcony cabin on C Deck on Ventura for back-to-back cruises N812 and N813. All for the grand total of £5500 approx for the two of us. Also got £150 obc on second cruise. We have also booked for next May and next August. So, well in advance again. Personally don't like hanging on for the best deals just in case we miss out but we do have the advantage of being in jobs where that is possible.

Pete.

We've generally booked quite a long way in advance: as you can see we have a booking for Celebrity Solstice in September 2009 which we made a couple of months ago (hence 15 months in advance), and our Ventura booking was made at least 16 months in advance. Other times it's been more like 9 months or so.

That said, I don't think you necessarily get amazing deals that far out; the main advantage (for me) is that it gives me time to save up: I know what I'm saving for, how much I need, and when I need to have it by! There might be some extras (we got free parking at Southampton for both our cruises this year), and you definitely get a good choice of cabins (we carefully chose cabins without Pullman berths or connecting cabins for the cruises this year).

That said, I've often thought it would be fun to do what you've done and book at the last minute. As far as prices go, I would have thought that the best prices would be available either when bookings open, or near to the date; I think that the time to not book is 3 to 9 months in advance.

Booking so far in advance works for us: I send an email to my manager on 1 January every year saying 'this is when I'm going on holiday this year'. That works well for everyone in the team, especially as our cruises are well outside the schools hols. By the same token, I have no difficulty providing cover over Christmas, Easter & other bank holidays: we don't travel at those times.

You guys will be in trouble now - you mentioned the "B"word! (Travel Agent!)

It was kinda annoying to hear a woman in the Ventura laundry brag that she had only paid £999 for her 14 night (1 week before)cruise to the Baltic on Ventura -C deck cabin with balcony.

I had booked well in advance and paid double that price for a C deck with balcony though I was midships. Don't know where her cabin was but thats a big difference.

I have booked all my cruises a year in advance and have 09 ones booked already for May and Aug 09.

Main reasons 2ND SITTING CONFIRMED, we do not want to eat at 6.30pm and will not cruise if we had 1st sitting, so late deals are not for us as 2nd seems most popular and always seems to be wait-listed less than 6 months before a cruise.

The 2nd reason is choosing a cabin where we want it - balcony, b or c deck, midships not near lifts, laundry etc.

Also we both work, so cannot just cruise 'at a drop of a hat'.

You get free carparking and obc too with cruises booked far in advance, and from what I've seen, cabin prices seem to go up at every brochure new edition. With fuel supplements now also being introduced, this could also make it more expensive..leaving it till last minute.

There will always be some deals for last minute cruises, but its a chance you take, and I would be very surpised if you were offered 2nd sitting confirmed on a late deal, so no-go for us personally.

As already mentioned, we book early to get our preferred dinner seating and a fair discount.

Used to be there was no problem getting on a cruise ship that had the itenary you wanted. Seems that these days have gone.

Jimmy

"You guys will be in trouble now - you mentioned the "B"word! (Travel Agent!)"

Sorry I am a noob is this something that were not suppsed to talk about?

I always try and get the best deal, I am a flexible person so it does not bother me about dinner sittings, where I fly from or even where my cabin is. If someone can get a better deal I want to know about it so I can do the same next time. I guess your always going to pay more to get exactly what you want.

I just wondered if the savings were significant if you booked a long time in advance.

Sorry if I have strayed onto a subject that we shuld not talk about.

Chris

The B reference is to the Travel Agent that we are not to discuss on here, Don't worry about it. I tend to book in advance, often whilst on board where deals are offered on parking and obc. I agree with Libralass about 2nd sitting, tried 1st for 2 nights once and hated it. Currently got Christmas 2009 covered:)

If it is important to you which cabin you have which sitting you are on, or indeed which cruise you are on then the best deals are to be had April the year before.

Some cruises are incredibly popular and are booked up in an hour or so after bookings open eg. the 3 week trip to the US and Canada in September each year.

On most but not all second sitting is favoured by the majority.

Central cabins/suites and mini-suites go quickly

If you can take pot luck then waiting until just before a cruise may give you a better price. If you are flexible regarding the cruise you may get a good deal.

When we are both retired we may go for a mix of prebooked cruises and late deals.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I booked last week for November 27th -4 months in advance - and have got 2nd sitting! Thank goodness!

Haven't got a cabin number though. Hubby retiring at the end of this month so we hope to do more last minute(or book a few months before) cruises. The Southampton car park charge was a bit of a shocker though! We thought we'd drive down from Scotland but realised that it's cheaper to fly after all!

Caspall, I know the car parking is quite expensive but please remember how unpleasant it is to fly nowadays and you will have all the baggage weight problems to deal with. I wish I never had to get on another plane. It's a holiday, spoil yourselves:)

Afternoon Cap'n

Couldn't agree more about the flying. I'm a big bloke and flying has almost become a non-option for me nowadays. It's one of the main reasons for trying our first cruise and hopefully it will mean the end of being crammed into a seat made for a midget trying to eat my dinner off a lap tray that is actually stuck somewhere near my chest.

Travelling to Southampton by train from Manchester which hopefully will be hassle-free.

Incidentally for anyone considering travelling by train, if you book exactly twelve weeks before departure, there is a terrific saving to be made. I booked singles twelve weeks before departure and singles for the return journey, again, twelve weeks before and saved over £150. More cash towards the on board drinks bill that's what I say.........................

Pete.

My first cruise was booked about 6 or 8 weeks before departure. I had such a great time that I started booking a year or more in advance to ensure I could get what I wanted. Definately worth all the advance planning, even with the number of people in the family that don't believe in preparing for anything more than a week or two in beforehand.

Afternoon Cap'n

Couldn't agree more about the flying. I'm a big bloke and flying has almost become a non-option for me nowadays. It's one of the main reasons for trying our first cruise and hopefully it will mean the end of being crammed into a seat made for a midget trying to eat my dinner off a lap tray that is actually stuck somewhere near my chest.

Travelling to Southampton by train from Manchester which hopefully will be hassle-free.

Incidentally for anyone considering travelling by train, if you book exactly twelve weeks before departure, there is a terrific saving to be made. I booked singles twelve weeks before departure and singles for the return journey, again, twelve weeks before and saved over £150. More cash towards the on board drinks bill that's what I say.........................

Pete.

Pete

How does the trainfare/journey time compare with the coaches that Eastway run?

"Caspall, I know the car parking is quite expensive but please remember how unpleasant it is to fly nowadays and you will have all the baggage weight problems to deal with. I wish I never had to get on another plane. It's a holiday, spoil yourselves:)"

We do keep spoiling ourselves. Unfortunately we have to spend a lot of money travelling by ferry (12 hrs and £300+ with car)) or plane (1hr and £200)to get to mainland Scotland. Then we have to get to Southampton. We will definitely take our car next summer and take our time driving to the south coast.

I have heard that the car park is good and they provide a good service but it is quite expensive.

I booked last week for November 27th -4 months in advance - and have got 2nd sitting! Thank goodness!

Haven't got a cabin number though. Hubby retiring at the end of this month so we hope to do more last minute(or book a few months before) cruises. The Southampton car park charge was a bit of a shocker though! We thought we'd drive down from Scotland but realised that it's cheaper to fly after all!

yes, flying means luggage weight restrictions - not for me!!!

Do Eavesway do a coach down? or even the train down would mean you could bring as much luggage as you can fit in the taxi to the docks?

We have free carparking on all 3 cruises booked to come in 08 and 09 and also one taken May 08 which was a 16nighter and would of been £140, due to booking early when free cp deals on.

We have booked early for Ventura and Solstice and prices for both are now much higher than when we booked. Although we booked early for Ventura we got the last midship balcony and actually had to go up a grade from what we wanted. We don't know how things will be by the time Solstice comes round but it was a very good deal for a lovely cabin and we though we'd take a chance. We booked Independance very late and paid much more than we could have got it for a few months ago. On our previous cruises with OV and Carnival we booked about 6-9 months in advance and got upgraded on all of them. I think you just have to book when you feel both your pocket and committments will allow you to and take the chance.

Just depends what you want, if you want to pick a certain cabin then you will have to book a long way in advance.

Also dinner seating, but I have heard from friends that they had 2nd seating confirmed and when they boarded they were Freedom Dining. Yes they boked well in advance. So it seems that even confirmed bookings can be changed.

Look at the post re Ventura for last weeks cruise, someone who had booked well in advance for a balcony cabin was rung to say that they had overbooked these cabins and would they accept an inside. Love to know what happend.

We have booked cruises as late as 2 weeks before departure and have found them to be both cheap and we have managed to get 2nd seating dining as well. OK we had to have the cabins that were left or cancelled but we have never had a bad cabin. Lets face it how long are you in your cabin.

Cap'n

Don't think Evesway run coaches from Manchester and, as far as I know, not for every cruise (I may well be wrong here) so I cannot say. All I can be sure of is that the train takes approx 4 hours from Manchester and it cost £46 for two of us for returns (booked at specific times as singles).

Got a bit carried away yesterday, the saving by booking singles was just over £100. Still not bad for a stress-free journey and, as LibraLass so rightly stated, the only luggage restriction is the size of the taxi. Even then there is nothing to stop us getting one each.

Well we booked for Ventura January '10 (our first cruise) just a few weeks after bookings opened - for us it is great - long time to look forward to it, and more importantly, a long time to save up for it!!!

We got what we wanted as far as deck/position and by shopping around we got £300 off the original price quoted by P&O by booking with Cruise.co.uk (fantastic service by the way - ask for Louise!!!)

What happens about fuel supplements? Do we need to brace ourselves for them before the cruise?? Jackie

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, we're first time cruisers (at least as far as big ships are concerned) going on Oceana in July. We live near Glasgow and have been considering the question of our pre & post cruise journeys. My wife does not travel well on long distance coaches and I would not relish the prospect of getting up in the middle of the night to get to Buchanan bus station for a 0445 departure so have ruled that out. We considered flying with Flybe to Southampton but the luggage restrictions (20kg & £10 per Kg over) and the unreliability of Flybe reported elsewhere made us think again.

We looked at the overnight sleeper to Euston then the Eavesway coach from Victoria. However we'd be thrown off the train at 0800 with 5 hours to kill before the coach departs.

I then discovered that the Eavesway coach from Victoria picks up at the Renaissance Hotel near Heathrow airport. I was also pleasantly surprised to discover how cheap BA's flights from Glasgow to Heathrow are when booked well in advance. In fact they worked out cheaper for our dates than Flybe. Furthermore, you are allowed 23Kg in your hold bag and can prebook additional bags up to 23Kg for £20 per bag per flight.

So therefore we have decided to take the last flight the night before to Heathrow, stay at the Renaissance overnight (not the cheapest airport hotel but a good rate imo for advance non refundable booking) then have a leisurely morning prior to the coach pick up at 1345.

On our return we will fly back to Glasgow late afternoon.

Clearly not the cheapest way of doing this but cheaper than I anticipated and hopefully this will turn out to be a very civilised way of setting out on what we are sure will be a memorable cruise.

Best wishes to you all.

Archived