How's the food?

Kan't Wait

Just came back from the Eastern Med Carnival Freedom. While some people complained our family who has been on RC and Carnival think Carnival is better. You have a major problem if you can't find something wonderful for breakfast or lunch on the Lido deck. It is great -made to order omelets, made to order eggs, made to order chinese stir fry, great deli,, fish and chips etc etc. Clean, Clean, Clean.

I want to thank everyone for all the positive responses regarding the food. I truly appreciate each and every post.

We don't cruise just for the food but it is something that we do care about; our cruise in April on Princess left us never wanting to sail them again. I have sailed Celebrity several times but frankly their Caribbean itineraries (husband doesn't want to fly anymore and getting to eastern ports works for us) are a bit boring and I also feel that the overall atmosphere i.e. clubs, entertainment etc... are boring as well. I've checked into all of the mainstream lines and Carnival has the best itineraries at least for what we are looking for. We take different types of vacations throughout the year so longer cruises don't always work best for us. We're trying to decide on the 7 day on the Valor to Belize, Honduras etc...or the 8 day on the Freedom to Tortola, Nassau etc...

I guess now my question is- Do all the ships have dancing in the speciality dining rooms/supper clubs? And can you just get up and dance or is it later in the evening for the dancing? Thanks again. Oh and any information you think would be helpful is appreciated. :)

We are considering a Carnival cruise and my husband asked me how the food was on Carnival and I had to say I didn't know' date=' so here I am asking all you Carnival cruisers your opinion. How is the food? Do they have menu items that can be ordered every day? Do they have themed menus? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.[/quote']

the fantansy was our 5th crusie was not very good compared to all the others. would not go on this cruise again. BUT THE CHOCOLATE CAKE (as our waiter stated YUMMY YUMMY CAKE) was so great it was sinnful :eek:

I guess now my question is- Do all the ships have dancing in the speciality dining rooms/supper clubs? And can you just get up and dance or is it later in the evening for the dancing? Thanks again. Oh and any information you think would be helpful is appreciated. :)

Our family just returned from the Liberty, and the supper club (Harry's) DID have a dance floor. People got up and danced when they wanted.

Sorry to all but I am going to throw the monkey wrench in this discussion. I was on the Legend last week, and while food was plentiful, all that can be said about it was that it was OK. You can't cover up lower quality meats with sauces to make it good, and that is what happened across the board at dinner.

The food is typically banquet food. Clearly IMO it is the lowest quality of the mass market lines I have been on in the past 18 months (Carnival, RCCL, and NCL). NCL has the best food of the mass market lines.

If you are cruising for the food, then Carnival is not the line to choose, but if the food is secondary then Carnival is fine.

I'm going to agree. While we did find a lot of food that we truly did enjoy, I think most of it was "just OK."

What I really liked (Carnival Pride):

The lobster on the first formal night (but my husband didn't like it).

The Creme Brulee for dessert on the first formal night. (I was all set to order the melting chocolate cake, but the waiter talked me into the Creme Brulee, and I'm glad I listened.)

The melted chocolate cake on all the other nights.

The souffle on the last Formal Night.

The Mexican food from Mermaid's for lunch on the second day.

The smoked salmon and bagels for room service breakfast.

The chateaubriand.

The 24 hour pizza.

That's a lot of good stuff, but for me, everything else was just OK. The salmon in the dining room was very fishy, and the prime rib and flat iron stake were tough and chewy.

But still, I'm not complaining. I'm happy that I'm not the one cooking every meal and cleaning up. And even when there was food I wasn't thrilled about, I could always find something acceptable. I realize they're cooking for thousands, so keeping that in mind, they do a decent job.

I always followed our waiter's recommendations because he seemed to suggest the best choices.

Archived