Ship Transfer vs. Barcelona Taxi Question

This board has been a wealth of information in planning our early October cruise. So, here's the first of many questions; the cruise line is offering transfers from Barcelona to port at $27.00 per person, with 3 people would I get a better price getting one of the many taxi cabs?

Thank you!!

On Saturday, 5/24/08 I paid about 30 euros (total) including tip for a taxi (mini van) that held 3 passengers plus 3 x 29" suitcases plus 3 x 24" wheel-on's plus 3 smaller totes. We took the taxi from a hotel two blocks from the far end of Las Ramblas to the dock. 30 euros would be about $44 at today's rate so it would be cheaper than the cruise line's deal.

On Saturday, 5/24/08 I paid about 30 euros (total) including tip for a taxi (mini van) that held 3 passengers plus 3 x 29" suitcases plus 3 x 24" wheel-on's plus 3 smaller totes. We took the taxi from a hotel two blocks from the far end of Las Ramblas to the dock. 30 euros would be about $44 at today's rate so it would be cheaper than the cruise line's deal.

Not only is it cheaper, it's faster and less hassle........

Slomotion and Operafan, thank you for helping to make my decision, we'll be in a taxi.

Best,

Tell the drive "Al sent me";)

The only "trick" is to ask your hotel to call the cab for you and to specify that you want the mini-van. There are a lot of them and you only need to ask.

enjoy!

Are taxis plentiful at the airport? We will be needing transportation to our hotel. Just want to know if I should arrange it beforehand - there are only to of us. Thanks!

You'll have no problem getting a taxi at the airport or anywhere else in Barcelona. Enjoy your trip!

This board has been a wealth of information in planning our early October cruise. So, here's the first of many questions; the cruise line is offering transfers from Barcelona to port at $27.00 per person, with 3 people would I get a better price getting one of the many taxi cabs?

Thank you!!

Here is an FYI for you re any cruise and the ship..always rememebr they charge PER PERSON for anything so anything you can do w/o using the ship per se is going to save you money. I am not saying not to use anything they offer at all,just figure per person in the equasion.

• 2 weeks later...

RCL is so offensive. Every day in the newsletter they encouraged you to book their airport transfer service back from the dock because they said taxis have limited luggage space and there could be waits up to 2 hours. Enough to scare anyone into paying $27 per person. Of course I knew the limited luggage space was an outright lie (as 4 of us easily got a minivan from our hotel to the port, and the hatchbacks can easily fit 3 large suitcases). So I figured the 2 hour wait was a lie as well, supported by commentary I read here before the trip.

Of course the taxis did have plenty of luggage space, and the wait was nowhere near 2 hours, more like 10-15 minutes, not bad at all. This was around 8am.

DON'T FALL PREY TO THE CRUISELINES SCAMS!

Are taxis plentiful at the airport? We will be needing transportation to our hotel. Just want to know if I should arrange it beforehand - there are only to of us. Thanks!
DH and I took taxi from airport to hotel. No problem and very easy and plentiful cabs. P.S. cheaper than transfers from cruiseline. Just have address of hotel ready if there is a language concern. Have a great time!!!

We disembarked in BCN at about 6:45 AM and only had to wait 5 minutes for a cab--piece of cake! They do, however, have a luggage surcharge leaving the port that is added on to the regular fare--but I have no doubt cheaper than the cruiseline deal. I try to do everything on my own as much as possible because the ship mark-ups seem so high to me. We had zero trouble getting around on our own, renting cars in ports, taking trains, etc. I think the cruise lines are hoping for people either looking for total convenience or those too apprehensive to venture out alone--and then capitalize on those folks! So many people speak English that it makes it easy and fun to explore!

Cathy

Archived