BEWARE...Booking a balcony or a suite

Terry King

I don't really disagree with what anyone is posting here. I can imagine once you've upgraded to a balcony it's difficult to go back, but on the other hand if the money you save enables you to go for 3 cruises in an inside cabin for the same amount of money as 2 cruises with a balcony, I'd rather take 3 cruises.

I think the decision is based on what your limiting factor is that prevents you from cruising more, money or vacation time.

If it's a money issue, the inside cabins will get you cruising more often. If money isn't the issue, it's the limited amount of vacation time, then splurging on a balcony sounds like it would be making the most of the times you do get to cruise.

We had a suite on a four day cruise and now I have just booked a balcony on the Victory. I can live with out the extra room from a suite ( I think) but I can't live with out the balcony - thankfully my husband and I agree on this.

The first cruise DH & I went on was with an OV. I went on one with my sister and had an inside. Last year went on cruise with DH and had our 1st balcony. When I told him I was booking a cruise for next year he said "May sure you get a balcony." The OV was cool, but the balcony was wonderful. Ummm, a suite that would be WOW!!!

After 15 cruises I don't agree that you can't go back. We have had all clasifications of cabins and the last cruise we were back to an inside 4A and loved the cruise. We probably spent less time in the 4A than in the balcony or suite and had a lot more fun with ship activities. The nice thing is you can afford more 4A cabins than 11s. If the $399 for a seven day 4A shows up again I"ll be back in steerage. Dean

I totally agree with Dean! It really depends on what you want. We've had OVs, balconies and a Cat12 suite once. The suite was no big deal other than it was nice to have the extra space, it wasn't needed at all. We're booked in a balcony guarantee (looks like an 8F as of now) for our cruise in December, but thats only because inside wasn't available when we booked. We'll enjoy the balcony, but will be just as happy in a Cat4 for whatever the next cruise is. I look for the pricing sweet spots and go for the highest value - thats generally an inside guarantee.

Archived