Just back from Princess cruise with 20month old - any questions?

Mercury

Would I do it again - YES!

Did my daughter receive lots of attention - YES!

Did I get disparaging looks or comments from fellow cruisers for bringing such a young child - NO! (In fact I was on a Norwegian Fjords cruise where the age group of other cruisers is older than what you get on a Caribbean cruise and people were absolutely fantastic with my child.)

Would I bring my DD's grannies with again - YES! They were a fantastic help and allowed my DH and I to go to some shows and eat at Sabatini's for a romantic dinner. We also did two shore excursions on our own which my DD would not have enjoyed.

Were the crew fantastic with my DD - YES! They were absolutely wonderful.

Is it hard work cruising with a toddler - Yes and No. Yes because you can't just sit down to dinner and think that your child will be still the entire 90 minutes. Yes, because they will be climbing up and down stairs and wanting to ride the elevators. Yes because you can't decide that you are going to find a quiet corner and just read a book. BUT

No because there is so much for them to see and do which is so rewarding as a parent. My DD loved the mini golf and mini tennis court. She loved the string quartet. She loved dancing to the early evening ballroom ballads by the band in the Wheelhouse bar. And most of all she loved having all the attention of her proud parents.

And perhaps, in the process we have instilled a little seed of the love for cruising which her mama and dada have.

That was exactly our reaction the first time we cruised with our kids. They started at 2 and 7. Now they are 8 & 15. Our first cruise was on Princess as well!!!!!!!!

What ship did you go on? Which islands and did you do excursions with her?

I am a firm believer in starting them early because you always end up bringing them when they get older:D

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I have found so much helpful information (especially on the family boards)! Wished I knew about CC back then!!;)

Thanks everyone - this family board on CC was so helpful to me in the planning process.

cruisinmama - :) We are planning another cruise for Jul/Aug 2010 on the new Celebrity Solstice class. The itineraries are not out yet so we will have to wait awhile to book!

floridagirl - we were on Grand Princess. We did the Norwegian Fjords cruise which was perfect for my daughter: lots of small ports which were very easy to get around. There were two places where we did shore excursions but they were more suited to adults (eg a visit to the North Cape) and so we left my DD with her grannies.

Archived