Halifax and accessibility

There appears to be lots of shops and other touristy things right off the ship in Halifax...is that true? Assuming I can get OFF the ship (I use a wheelchair), would I be able to see/do any of those nearby things? (I'd be alone, as my husband has other plans for the day! )

We were there last Oct. and most of the shops that are worth visiting are on level ground going towards the Maritime Museum. It is a pretty good hike up to the "downtown" area (i.e. by the Citadel I think it is called) and that would NOT be accessible. It was barely accessible for us and we just had sorry knees! There is one really nice place across from the water that makes/sells cakes, rum pehaps. Reminded me of Tortolla rum cakes. While we didn't buy anything, we certainly ate plenty of their samples!

Good luck.:)

There appears to be lots of shops and other touristy things right off the ship in Halifax...is that true? Assuming I can get OFF the ship (I use a wheelchair), would I be able to see/do any of those nearby things? (I'd be alone, as my husband has other plans for the day! )

You shouldn't have any accessibilty problems.

When you get off the ship there are some shops set up in the cruise terminal. There is also a museum right there called "Pier 21". It was the main entry point for immigrants to Canada many years ago (similar to Ellis Island).

Also, after you exit the terminal go to the right and follow the waterfront. There is a level "boardwalk" all along the waterfront with lots to see and do. You can follow it for over a mile.

Enjoy your visit. :D

Hi Uppitycats...

My husband and I are on the same cruise. We live in Texas and it has been soooo HOT here that we surely are looking forward to the cool of Canada. See you on board. Nancy

Hi Uppitycats...

My husband and I are on the same cruise. We live in Texas and it has been soooo HOT here that we surely are looking forward to the cool of Canada. See you on board. Nancy

Oh wow, how cool is that!! :) I'm part of the group doing minis and dollhouses...are you by chance connected with them? Last I heard there were only 50 of us (not including spouses)...

Archived