Cave Tubing and Shoes Question

pyropoodle

I have my excursion all booked and I know that I will be wearing swim shoes whilst floating through the caves. My question is this: I have a cheapo pair of swim shoes. Will these be sufficient for the hike up to the entry point for cave tubing? Or should I wear a sneaker and then change into my swim shoes when we get there.

sorry if this is a silly question, but it's my first time cruising, and I'm kinda clueless.

We wore water shoes on our trip up and if I ever go again I will wear Tevas. The water shoes worked well, but the trial up is very rocky. My feet were hurting from the rocks after a short time. It was definitely doable in water shoes, but I would have preferred to have Tevas with a thicker sole.

I don't know what you will do with your sneakers on the tube ride down if you change, though? You'll have to carry them in your lap which I think would be awkward.

I wore old tennis shoes for the hike and in the water tubing...I left some sandals in my bag on the bus and I gave away the tennis shoes at the end of our excursion. Some of the others wore canvas washable tennis shoes and they worked fine too.

I think the hiking would be uncomfortable in water shoes...I'd want something with a better sole & more support.

thanks everyone. that does give me a little more insight. i will most likely want more support. that's a great idea to take some old tennis shoes. that way, i could dispose of them or give them away, then just put my sandals on when we are finished. my water shoes have zero support,so i don't want to be uncomfortable in any way.

thanks again for the info. it was very helpful.

From a suggestion I read on here a long time ago I bought a cheap pair of tennis sneakers at Walmart and they worked out well. At the end of the trip the locals that were at the end of the tour gladly took the shoes and threw them in a big bin with lots of others :)

i'll check out k-mart or target this weekend and see what they have in the cheap-but comfy-tennis shoe department. i wish we had a wal-mart that i could get to without having to rent a car. i love wally world.

We did the cave tubing excursion in late July and everyone in our group wore water shoes, some from Lands End (the waterproof beach, hiking shoes) and some from Walmart. The Lands End shoes had much more support then the shoes from Walmart, so if it's support you need, then they would be great. Last time I checked, they were offering them on sale in the catalog and probably at the Sears stores that have Lands End boutiques. Regardless of what you wear on your feet, take some insect repellant with Deet and have a ball!

I agree the some kind of teva type sandals work best. DH and I did cave tubing and loved it. It's a hike to where you put in, so I also recommend something with support. Wally world tennis shoes should be fine too.

Enjoy! We loved cave tubing. This year we're going snorkeling.

Archived