semi formal?

ladyruby

what does this mean ? princess have formal and casual but not heard of semi formal

they mean 'somewhere between' casual and formal..

basically i think they do it mostly in the Caribbean to stop people interpreting casual as beach wear...

all we ever wear on semi formal nights is linen! and we all know how hard linen is to keep crease free!!!!

my entire cruise wardrobe for the caribbean is bought from either asda or tesco! well aside from the DJ!! so don't worry about it...

hope that helps??

it usually means shirt and tousers for a guy and a dress or blowse and trousers for a girl.

Basicly no t-shirts or jeans.

I find all the dress codes a bit strange but I like dressing up for a night out so just go with the flow.

I mean it says "sports jacket" on the carnival semi formal dress code and to me that would mean a Nike or Addidas jacket you would wear to the gym?? obviously I realised it meant suit jacket but some of the wording can be very strange.

Chris

The correct dress code for Semi-formal is jacket and tie for the gents, but these days you get away with not wearing a tie.

The correct dress is Lounge suit or blazer/sports jacket shirt and tie.

The confusion regarding ties comes from P&O inserting the phrase you do not need a tie if wearing a dress shirt designed not to have a tie. This has been jumped on by the few to mean they do not have to bother.

On our cruise in July it was about 90% making the effort and 10% not.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Princess, and most of the other lines serving North America, used to have Formal, Semi-formal, and Casual dress codes.

Semi-formal was jacket and tie.

Princess gave up semi-formal some years ago, and I believe Holland America is now just giving it up.

Not sure about Celebrity - they used to have it also.

For the past three P&O cruises none of the men on our table of 8 have worn a tie on informal(semi-formal) evening, it's more relaxed fortunately from years ago. Ladies can wear smart separates or cocktail dresses but smart jeans are a no except on casual evening.

I do think it is easy to misinterpret informal evening as I saw a few in the restaurant in very casual wear i.e. 3/4 trousers that are usually worn on deck during the day. One lady wearing them was on our table and she said she had been very unsure about the code and realised now she wasn't dressed appropriately. We told her not to worry it was her good company that mattered more than anything.

it usually means shirt and tousers for a guy and a dress or blowse and trousers for a girl.

Basicly no t-shirts or jeans.

Chris

NO Chris thats SMART CASUAL wear......

Semi formal, as someone else replies is a jacket with or without tie, shirt and trousers for men and woman usually wear a smart dress/cocktail.....:rolleyes:

they mean 'somewhere between' casual and formal..

basically i think they do it mostly in the Caribbean to stop people interpreting casual as beach wear...

all we ever wear on semi formal nights is linen! and we all know how hard linen is to keep crease free!!!!

my entire cruise wardrobe for the caribbean is bought from either asda or tesco! well aside from the DJ!! so don't worry about it...

hope that helps??

Sorry for correcting you Sunny, but I feel it important to give the OP the correct information.

The Caribbean is one of the places that P&O do NOT have semi-formal.

Because of weight restrictions on the charter flights, P&O only have formal and smart-casual nights in the Caribbean.

Semi-formal tends to be restricted to those cruises that depart and arrive back at Southampton. We have just returned from Ventura where we had 3 formal nights, 4 semi formal nights and 7 smart casual nights.

Hope that helps

Regards

Gerry

Sorry for correcting you Sunny, but I feel it important to give the OP the correct information.

Because of weight restrictions on the charter flights, P&O only have formal and smart-casual nights in the Caribbean.

Semi-formal tends to be restricted to those cruises that depart and arrive back at Southampton. We have just returned from Ventura where we had 3 formal nights, 4 semi formal nights and 7 smart casual nights.

Hope that helps

Regards

Gerry

maybe that's why i wasn't too sure... never cruised anywhere apart from the caribbean so didn't remember the three different levels of dress

so am i right in thinking men have to wear a jacket? are pants and a long sleeved shirt allowed?

Semi-formal.....

Ladies can wear anything from tailored trousers to smart sperates or an elegant dress, while men are requested to wear a long sleeved shirt and jacket with smart trousers.

That is the official P&O take on it.

This dress code is adhered to by the majority but I am sure you will see jeans on a semi formal night.

On Ventura recently we saw a guy in jeans and trainers on a formal night AND they let him in the resaurant!

Gerry

Semi-formal tends to be restricted to those cruises that depart and arrive back at Southampton.

Hi Gerry,

Of course you are correct in all that you say. The only exception to the above is the Caribbean respositioning cruises departing from Southampton.

The one we are going on (N818 on Ventura) has 4 formal, 4 semi-formal and 6 casual nights. It does mean you have to do some creative packing to allow for the flight back from Barbados!

Eddie

On Ventura recently we saw a guy in jeans and trainers on a formal night AND they let him in the resaurant!

Gerry

Pardon my ignorance but I'm from the US - What are "trainers"? I'm sure we have something similar over here. I probably ever have some.

Semi-formal.....

Ladies can wear anything from tailored trousers to smart sperates or an elegant dress, while men are requested to wear a long sleeved shirt and jacket with smart trousers.

That is the official P&O take on it.

This dress code is adhered to by the majority but I am sure you will see jeans on a semi formal night.

Gerry

Hi Gerry

Does it have to be long sleeve shirt for men on semi-formal nights?

Should be jacket and trousers no need for tie. But if you don't wear a jacket then long sleeve shirt I would have thought.

Only no need for a tie if wearing a shirt designed to be worn tie less. That is what it says in the book.

Of course a number of people have decided to misinterpret this suggestion.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

"NO Chris thats SMART CASUAL wear......

Semi formal, as someone else replies is a jacket with or without tie, shirt and trousers for men and woman usually wear a smart dress/cocktail....."

What if its too hot to wear a jacket? (This seems to be the only difference in my eyes)

That would mean shirt (with or without tie) and trousers. So basicly no jeans and t-shirts...... my point was to try and make it un-complicated, I assumed most people would realise shorts and trainers/sneakers were un-acceptable.

Most people my age think a sports jacket is made by Nike or Adidas and we don't have a clue what slacks are or the difference between a cocktail dress and a normal dress. This is not to say I am not educated and do not enjoy dressing up, i would just like things put in much simpler language. I always make an effort and you will never see me out at night in shorts or ripped jeans etc on a cruise.. It maybe just a generation thing.

On the last P&O cruise I went on which was a while ago the difference in dress on a casual and semi-formal night was not much. I did wear a tie on the semi formal nights but a lot of people did not.

Chris

The term used on Aurora for the dress standard between Formal and Smart-casual was Semi-Formal.

Semi-Formal for the ladies was tailored trousers to smart separates or elegant dress. For men is was a smart shirt with trousers and jacket.

Note that trainers (sneakers) were not permitted and we saw men in shirts only refused entry to the restaurant.

The smart bars also require dress of the day.

The self-service buffet required casual dress during the day, this mean dry beach shorts, a shirt or top and footwear. Again we saw people reused entry even when they only wished to move from one forrad to aft.

On this cruise better than 99% of men wear in DJ/Tux/Highland Dress. 90% of the remainer were in dark suits.

As for jeans, there were so few in evidence that I cannot recall any instance of jeans on ship or shore.

Archived