Dining Options

Bruce62

I am looking at Ventura for next Easter (2009), but have not been on a 'traditional' P&O Cruise since 2004 (Oceana), having previously been on Oriana, Victoria (Ex-Sea Princess), Arcadia (Now Ocean Village), and Canberra, and I believe that a lot has changed in this time.

We have always enjoyed the traditional sittings, but as our son got older our needs were different, and the 'freestyle' form of cruising suited us more as a famlily, hence the absence of P&O for a few years.

Things have now gone full circle, so I would appreciate it if someone could please explain the options that are now open to us?

Many thanks,

Bruce

Bruce.

On Oceana and Ventura you can now have Fredom Dining as well as the usual Club Dining.

But on Ventura at the moment people are saying the Freedom is not working very well.

So it is still 630pm or 830pm and then Freedom from 6pm till 10pm. I believe you can book 2 days in advance on Ventura but not Oceana.

There is then the Buffets and speciality resaturants, you pay for the latter.

Thanks for the reply, but can I ask another question...Is the food in the Freedom restaurants on the same scale / quality as the club? or will I have to go to MPW for this, if I choose the freedom option?

I am hoping that by next April the teething problems will be over.

The menus in Freedom Dining are the same as Club Dining. You will find no difference the only difference is that you will not have an assigned time ie 6.30pm or 8.30pm and an assigned waiter, assistant waiter and table.

You will eat in Freedom at what time you decide and have a table for 2,4,6,8 or 10 and eat with different people each night, unless you meet someone on the cruise and decide to eat with them.

Do not worry all three dining rooms have the same menu the only difference is The White Room, pay extra and East pay extra Ramblas and the buffets are also different.

Hope this answers your question anything else please ask.

Rex

Is it common practice for people from the UK to dine late when at home? Although people from the US do so on a cruise they usually eat between 5 & 7 PM.

I think we are the same, 6 to 6.30 in this household. But on a cruise we have to get in all the 'Sun' hours we can:D

I think we are the same, 6 to 6.30 in this household. But on a cruise we have to get in all the 'Sun' hours we can:D

We used to eat at that time when we were working but since we're both retired it's closer to 4:15 to 4:30 PM.

Here in SW Florida we try & not get any more sun than necessary. I won't even go in the swimming pool until the sun goes around the side of our house at 2 PM.

Is it common practice for people from the UK to dine late when at home? Although people from the US do so on a cruise they usually eat between 5 & 7 PM.

Most nights it's between 6:30 and 7pm. But when we go out for a meal we'll make it later: we've just booked a table for our wedding anniversary next week for 8pm. And on our cruises we always book second sitting.

At work I used to dine between 7 and 8, now at home my wife prefers to have tea at 4.30-5 and maybe a snack at 9 so she doesn't have to sleep on a full stomach. On the cruise we soon readjusted to 8.30-10.

We were minded to try Freedom Dining on our next cruise but after our recent experience we will stick with 'club' dining. Why?

We usually only use the formal dining room for one breakfast, one lunch and one tea where we sit at a different table. On only one of the 3 was there any conversation with the others at the table.

At dinner however we have 3 couples, we all got on well, we had 2 regular waiters and a wine waiter and the whole created a superb atmosphere.

Next time, if we don't like our companions then we will ask to move.

• 2 weeks later...

We're booked on the Ventura at the end of January 2009. I have emailed P&O as when I booked it in April 2007 I was told that freedom dining gave you the choice of when to eat and also on the Ventura a choice of 2 dining rooms. Now they have confirmed what I had read somewhere or other that freedom dining will only be in one dining room. I feel a bit let down by it as now if I ask to change to club dining I would not be able to guarantee that we get 2nd sitting, which we probably would have when we originally booked. I mentioned as well about the 3d cinema being there and they replied that the suppliers could install the equipment! My thoughts were - why didn't they check that before advertising it as "the only ship to have it " feature and if it didn't work why didn't they put an ordinary screen and keep it as a cinema. I think all to often cruise companies are now getting people to book very early and then "move the goal posts" (such as non smoking laws- not that I'm a smoker) and then won't refund the deposit.

Jane

We have just returned from the Oceana. We dined club and had 3 couples on our table that had all transfered from Freedom. We also met others who had been unable to switch to Club as that was now full.

We have seen reports on the boards that some people had to wait 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours which is unacceptable. We are not talking get a later booking, we are talking queing.

We are now confirmed as 2nd sitters in Club as it gives Mrs PN 2 hours from the cool of the evening to get ready at leisure rather than sacrifice part if the afternoon.

we too have 2nd sitting confirmed club dining on Ventura for the 2n weekender cruise in 12 days time.

Never been on a ship when freedom and club offered, so am i right in thinking club diners give tips in envelopes and freedom diners have automatic tipping added to their accounts.?

having returned from ventura today , comments i heard from people on freedom dining did,nt seem very impressed with it , long waits for tables , stick to club it worked fine ,

Hi Just returned too, we were on Freedom,worked ok for us,at any time we chose,,just go and enjoy. foods brill

Rob:D

Just back from Ventura - sorry, Freedom dining does not allow you to eat when you want to. It should do. That's what it sayd on the tin.

In practice, you eat when they can fit you in - asssuming you have got up and waited in the queue at 8.00am or spent endless time waiting for them to answer the phone when trying to make a reservation. Or turning up to be told that they will try and get you in later , take a bleaper and they will bleap you if they gte a space!!

The whole thing is a disaster, hence why its such a major talking point and disapointment for thos on board.

Hi Just returned too, we were on Freedom,worked ok for us,at any time we chose,,just go and enjoy. foods brill

Rob:D

Yorvik,

Did you just turn up when you wanted or did you book earlier in the day?

Also, can you book a day or two in advance?

Just back from Ventura - sorry, Freedom dining does not allow you to eat when you want to. It should do. That's what it sayd on the tin.

In practice, you eat when they can fit you in - asssuming you have got up and waited in the queue at 8.00am or spent endless time waiting for them to answer the phone when trying to make a reservation. Or turning up to be told that they will try and get you in later , take a bleaper and they will bleap you if they gte a space!!

The whole thing is a disaster, hence why its such a major talking point and disapointment for thos on board.

This is beginning to concern me.:( I'm taking the BF on Ventura to introduce him to P+O - I know its a party cruise (its the impending 2nighter) so not truely representative, but we were hoping to have some relaxation & fun.

Did you get fed? Was it worth the hassle, or should we just forget our formal outfits & order room service.:p

Karen

I've got 2nd sitting club dining on the Venetura weekender , so I should be ok, if I was you , i would book a table at EAST one night at the time you want it, then you know at least one night you will be eating when YOU want to, and also you will be trying a superb eating experience - so they say?

As you have been forewarned by cruisers of the problems of freedom, you should be 'one step' infront of the other passengers, and know to phone or book early for the other freedom night, and may be ok!:rolleyes:

Never been on a ship when freedom and club offered, so am i right in thinking club diners give tips in envelopes and freedom diners have automatic tipping added to their accounts.?

Yes Libralass you are right. We are confirmed 2nd for Ventura in October. Would hate to have 1st sitting, would rather go freedom. We are having a 'discussion' with our TA over our Celebrity cruise in 2009. Our confirmation from X says waitlisted, the TA says its definately confirmed, but we want it in writing. Why book 18 months in advance if you can't have your choice.

Libralass,

I believe you are right that Freedom tipping is through your bill.

Now a question you you. Do you tip both your table stewards in one envelope or do you divide it 50-50? I ask as our table on a previuos cruise tipped each whereas we tipped the lead waiter and hope we didn't get it wrong.

We also gave a very small tip to our previous cabin steward from Arcadia who had recognised from 3 years before.

Freedom tippping is added to your bill, £1.60 pp per day - even if you don't use it every day, which is a bit naughty.

Particuarly if you can't get in, use White Room, Ramblas, East or teh self service rest, they still charge you for evry day!!.

Can remove or amend it by seeing Reception.

Envelopes are provided to tip whoever else you want.

In fact they even had a box in Freedpom Dining Room for tips - even though you are 'charged 'daily automatically!!

Any idea what P&O pay its staff? Do bar staff etc 'earn' more pay and get less tips? Do room stewards get minimal pay and make do with tips? At £280 per week the tip level is not bad at all and tax free.

I guess the dining room stewards get about £140 per week in tips.

As the buffet staff rely on a gratuities box do they get more pay?

StLucia, that would be a nonsense but of course that does not say you are not right.

If Steward X does a superb job, as of course most do, and you slip an extra bob or two in his envelope what would be the point?

We tipped our old steward from a different ship as his welcome made us feel we were coming home even though he was not our steward on this trip. He palmed the mone I slipped him better than any illusionist or magician.

Certainly P&Os tipping is less than half the Celebrity rate and is also a flat rate regardless of class of booking. Is Celebrity the better line to work for - good pay and magnificent tips - or are they cheapskates?

Our table waiter on Celebrity suggested that Celebrity had a novel way of getting people to pay for their flight to and from the ship. They would pay to fly you home but only reimburse you, after the fact, when you were flying out to join the ship. This was to stop people flying out on a Celebrity ticket and sailing with a different company.

Archived