Los Angeles Cruise

BRU5

Could you please help with the following:

1. How far from port to LAX in terms of time?

2. How far from port to Redondo Beach?

3. Since there do not appear to be any five star hotels in Long Beach, can you reccomend some that have fairly easy access to the port?

Thank You!

1. 19 miles - usually 30-45 minutes on weekends if no accidents on I-405.

2. 16 miles

3. The closest true 5 Star Hotel that I know of is the Ritz Carlton in Marina del Rey. About 6 miles north of LAX or 25 miles from port. There are 5 star hotels in Beverly Hills but that is about 35 miles from port with heavy street driving once you leave the freeways. It would be at least 1 1/4 hours driving time.

4. There are some nice hotels south such as the Four Seasons in Newport Beach. But once again, the drive can be long in traffic.

Steve Hayes

Could you please help with the following:

1. How far from port to LAX in terms of time?

2. How far from port to Redondo Beach?

3. Since there do not appear to be any five star hotels in Long Beach, can you reccomend some that have fairly easy access to the port?

Thank You!

If it's just a place to crash the night before sailing, there are nice hotels in San Pedro. I would recommend the Sheraton in downtown San Pedro/601 South Palos Verdes Street. If you want a good hotel in Redondo Beach, I would recommend the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina/300 N. Harbor Dr. RB, or Portofino Hotel/Yacht Club 260 Portofino Way, RB; both are walking distance to the RB pier, the ocean and great restaurants. Happy Sailing!

Personally, I am happy with a 3 star or above depending on what I am looking for. I live in Venice that is north of Marina Del Rey and south of Santa Monica. I am a "city" person but love the beach.

For an overall high quality location with great hotels, fantastic restaurants, wonderful entertainment pier and miles of beach I would recommend Santa Monica. Shutters, LeMerigot and Loews are in my opinion the top 3 hotels which are all rated 4 stars but are of extremely high quality. You also have the Fairmont Hotels and others. To get to Santa Monica from LAX (about 18 miles)you would take the I-405 North to the I-10 West and exit on 4th Street. Turn right on 4th. Next light, turn left. You end up at the entrance to the famous Santa Monica pier. Turn left and all three hotels will be on your right side all in a row. With regular traffic (405 & 10 there is almost always a bottleneck) it will take you about 30 minutes. From Santa Monica to Port (about 37 miles) it will take you about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

For a high class location facing the largest manmade marina in California and the ocean either the Ritz Carlton (5 stars) or the Marriott (4 stars) in Marina Del Rey are great hotels. They both have marina and ocean views and either overlook Mother's Beach and or the the Marina and ocean. This area is great for restaurants, biking, boat charters, sightseeing boat trips and is where the southern terminus of the famous Venice boardwalk starts. The boardwalk goes from the Marina del Rey channel northward through Venice Beach and ends in Santa Monica.

For a funkier and beach type atmosphere Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach (Home of the Beach Boys) and Hermosa Beach all have that laid back feel with small individual restaurants and primarily 2-3 star motels with the exception of the Beach House (High end B&B on the beach), Barnaby's Hotel (no ocean views), Holiday Inn Redondo (facing nice entertainment area and many rooms with ocean view ), Portifino Inn (Older but nice with some ocean facing rooms).

IF you have transportation and IF you are going to be here more then just one night then I would recommend Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey over the other areas.

Steve Hayes

SHAYESHIP Thank you for the reply. Since you are from LA where would you recommend we stay for a 4 or 5 star experience. Thank you!!

Been in SoCal many times. Personally we prefer Marina Del Rey, Newport Beach, and even Laguna Beach than Santa Monica.

However, if you only have a night to stay, it is a bit of a waste to stay at the top tier 5 star hotels as you probably wont have enough time to truly enjoy all the hotels can offer.

IMHO, whether you spend a night or more than a night, it is much more convenient to rent a car than take a cab.

Hotels at Long Beach aint bad. They are just not the luxurious class.

Hotels at San Pedro are more like motels than hotels, fwiw.

I will be staying at the Sheraton in San Pedro for one day only before a cruise - is there anything to do around the hotel? Is the ship pier close to the hotel? I'm not sure whether or not I will rent a car.

There is a museum and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. For dinner, try Papakakis, a local landmark. Don't expect a five star experience at these places; but, I enjoy them very much.

Thank you all for the great information provided. We will make our decision in the next couple of days based on the info provided. What a valuable resource!!!!

Please let us know what you decide! Half the fun is living vicariously through everyone else!!!

• 6 months later...
I am coming in on a 7PM flight into lax the day before we leave from san Pedro. Does anyone have an comment on either one of the Embassy Suites at LAX?

Thanks

DH always uses the one south of the airport when he stops at LAX for layover - as a matter of fact, he just book the same one again for an upcomign trip - very close to airport and the price is good as well.

I am coming in on a 7PM flight into lax the day before we leave from san Pedro. Does anyone have an comment on either one of the Embassy Suites at LAX?

Thanks

I think the Embassy south of the airport is where we stayed in 2003. Since they were remodeling and there was dust and plastic all over the place, it should be great now. Ask at the front desk where to pick up the free bus to manhattan beach. Just have to show your room card.

This message is on the Starwood (Sheraton Hotels) website:

The Sheraton Los Angeles Harbor Hotel is leaving the Starwood system on June 30, 2005. Please contact the hotel directly for reservations after June 30, 2005.

If any of you are considering this hotel after June 30 I'd check into seeing what it's "new name/chain affiliation" will be.

Does anyone know if there is any CVS/Walgreens near San Pedro ? (stock up bottled water before sailing)

thx.

(Savon-Drug is closer)

Walgreens, 2690 Pacific Coast Hwy Torrance CA 90505 (310) 517-0136

mapimage?MAPDATA=k7_8vud6wXWXN0uOhDOgnpWz0v4Y04OeTN2nHnrrIMwfGAbc1UaKb804GiZJo.E9zkynY5ZkI2RpFySsFLhnC9.AKa1VlYLiezHqdM3twGFQkXmJppdf5IED7QFSe8kb1ltNpW2z4cdC3ALW_a1v5zP.

Goblue, there's a liquor store on North Harbor in San Pedro, right in front of the pier, that probably sells bottled water. I've never been inside (I drive by it every day), but it's probably more than a grocery store, less than onboard. You might ask the hotel if they have a shuttle that will take you to a Von's (local grocery store) in San Pedro.

As far a restaurants, you can walk to Ports O'Call or the hotel will have a shuttle that takes you there. Simon's is a nice enough white tablecloth place. Acapulco serves decent Mexican food. 22d Street Landing is a terrific seafood place, but it's a little farther away and I don't know if the shuttle will take you there (I'm betting they will).

I think the Embassy south of the airport is where we stayed in 2003. Since they were remodeling and there was dust and plastic all over the place, it should be great now. Ask at the front desk where to pick up the free bus to manhattan beach. Just have to show your room card.

Thanks All for your comments.

Hi. Just back from the Island Princess to Hawaii. We stayed at the Marriott at Marina Del Rey prior to the cruise for one night and at the Rennaisance Hollywood the day after the cruise. We arrived about 1pm LA time to the Marriott and were able to check in promptly. We took Steve H advice and walked to Venice Beach. Certainly enjoyed the spectacle and the exercise after a flight from atlanta. We arranged for a limo transfer to San Pedro since it was a special occasion, but a taxi or private shuttle would have been just as easy to arrange. The Marriott was lovely. The peace of mind coming a day early priceless. We stayed at the Hollywood Rennaissance after the cruise. $40.00 taxi, checked in before 11 and were upgraded to a suite. It was also a very nice hotel, more of a business environment than the Marriott, but what a lovely view of the "HOLLYWOOD" sign in the hills! Hope your trip is fun. We found that staying extra extended our vacation, also redeemed Marriott Reward Points so the price was right!

Archived