Firt timer with urgent questions - 16 days

first1

1. My mother's cancer has now advanced to her brain. Our cruise is in 16 days. Doctors are recommending she go and plan to provide her with a pain-free experience. Has anyone traveled with a sick relative? What's the medical care like? Do they have wheelchairs? Any thoughts on "special" experiences I can request? She is a former missionary who doesn't ask for anything for herself and this may easily be our last visit with her. Is there a way to expedite her boarding/disembarking?

2. How do I find out ahead of time what/when the shows/entertainment schedule is? I don't want to miss something because I booked dinner at that time.

3. Do walkie-talkies work on the ship? Is cell-phone available?

Thanks for your help.

The onboard medical care is pretty limited, so it would be a good idea to talk things over with her doctor about what, if anything he/she thinks might be likely to come up during this time. Hope you go and have a great time.

First, let me send my prayers to you and your mother. I lost my adoptive moms dad to cancer and my biological moms dad to cancer. Its no fun and I would not wish it on anyone. My heart goes out to you and your mom.

Second, cell phones work but are EXPENSIVE! We used walkie talkies on Enchantment. But lots of people use them just an FYI. They do offer wheelchairs. If you call RCCL first (their executive offices.. they were WONDERFUL with our need) I am sure they will arrange something for you for quick embarktation. Also, there are compasses posted on the boards so you can see whats going on for shows.

I wish you the best.... Stephanie

I'm sure there will be others that will chime in with good answers-and all I can say on question #1 is contact your Travel Agent (if you used one) and enlist their assistance on notifying/working with RC to coordinate all of your needs in the "logistics". If no TA, call RC directly and work with them.

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you-have a wonderful cruise, and think of all the memories you'll have to cherish.

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

1. My mother's cancer has now advanced to her brain. Our cruise is in 16 days. Doctors are recommending she go and plan to provide her with a pain-free experience. Has anyone traveled with a sick relative? What's the medical care like? Do they have wheelchairs? Any thoughts on "special" experiences I can request? She is a former missionary who doesn't ask for anything for herself and this may easily be our last visit with her. Is there a way to expedite her boarding/disembarking?

If you booked your cruise with a travel agent then I suggest that you have them contact Royal Caribbean on this issue. The cruise lines medical services are limited. If you booked the cruise yourself then I suggest that you contact them directly

2. How do I find out ahead of time what/when the shows/entertainment schedule is? I don't want to miss something because I booked dinner at that time.

Check the daily Cruise Compass and it will list the show times. You can also check here and someone may have some recent copies that they can share with you. What ship are you sailing?

3. Do walkie-talkies work on the ship? Is cell-phone available?

They will work and cell phones do work but can be expensive. Check with your service provider prior to the cruise to see what you may need to add to your service.

Thanks for your help.

I hope all works out for your family and enjoy your cruise.

First, I'm very sorry to hear about your mother, and will pray for her and your family.

Having had 1st hand experience with the ship's medical onboard, I can tell you that I would compare it to a VERY BASIC ER. They are not equipped to handle serious medical emergencies or complications that a cancer patient might suffer. If your loved one should have a serious medical problem, they would have to disembark at the next port or be airlifted off the ship if necessary.

Having lost my father due to complications from cancer, I know how fragile those patients immune systems are, and I'm not sure I would take them on a cruise with all the germs that are just waiting to grab ahold of someone. If your mother's Dr's say it's OK, then just be aware of the situation you're going to be in.

So sorry to hear about your circumstances. I hope you and your mom can verbalize about the gravity of her situation and come to terms with it. In my experience as a hospice RN I believe people know they are terminal and want to talk about things that will upset their loved ones so they don't. Tell her you're available to listen and see what happens.

RCL does not provide wheelchairs or scooters but there are companies which rent them out and will deliever them to the ship. Take a good supply of pain meds just in case.

Good luck to both of you and have a trip to remember and cherish for the rest of your life, you are a wonderful daughter.

Thanks. I am a clinical social worker, so I know how important that is. But as you must know, when working with your own family, things aren't much easier just because you are trained. My dad died of cancer 2 years ago and I later learned that he and mom didn't talk at all about his experience. Very sad. I may call RC as some are saying they do have wheelchairs.

Gosh, first our thoughts are with you. I hope you will have just a wonderful time on this trip.

I have been helping a disabled friend plan for her first cruise. Cruise Critic has boards that address these needs. I do not know how to link, but it is under Special Interest and disabled cruise travel.

You can request wheel chair assist at the port, my friend uses a walker, but we decided to find a scooter rental for her on the ship.

So sorry to hear about your mother's deteriorating condition. My 78-yr-old mother, a recent lung cancer survivor, will be sailing with me (and her oxygen and nebulizer) aboard the Enchantment in September.

I contacted RCCL's Special Needs department to make arrangements for a wheelchair to use for priority boarding/disembarkment. RCCL was happy to comply, although they said wheelchairs are not available during the cruise...just for getting on and off a ship.

I applaud your mom's doctors for recommending plans for your cruise continue "as usual." I'm sure they wouldn't have made the recommendation if there was imminent danger to your mother in doing so. Get on that ship and enjoy every minute you can with your mother!

I'm not sure of your mom's degree of mobility or stamina, so I can't advise you on what activities are best suited for her. But even if all you and she do is lounge around together, you won't really be missing anything compared to the emptiness you'll feel when she's gone.

One last comment - hopefully you bought cruise insurance early enough to cover your mom's pre-existing condition. I hope so because having the insurance will take a load off your mind should your mother need medical care during your cruise.

Thanks for your reply. No, the insurance we have doesn't cover pre-existing conditions as the trip was planned last fall when we learned of her condition. If for some reason she cannot go, then it will help. Since we are also traveling with my husband and 3 boys, if she can't go and we do, we won't lose much as the third person in much cheaper. I think we probably only have her for another couple of months. She was stage 4 last fall. She so badly wants to go. Until now she's been a 76 yr old going on 40 (energy wise).

Blessings to you and your mother in this situation.

Just a few suggestions:

Definitely contact RCCL's Special Needs department (or have your TA do it for you). (866) 592-7225 or special_needs@rccl.com They should have some recommendations of companies where you can rent a wheelchair for the cruise.

Definitely contact whomever you booked through (either your TA or RCCL), and see if by some chance there happens to be an accessible stateroom available. It is unlikely as they usually are reserved months in advance, but you might get lucky. The reason I recommend this is a wheelchair will not fit through the door of a regular stateroom. Also, there is a step up into the bathroom in a regular stateroom, which can be a problem if she is having balance or strength issues.

Not knowing exactly how the cancer is affecting your mother, you may also need a shower chair which you would want to request in advance (you would do that through the Special Needs department).

I also recommend posting your question on the Disabled Cruisers board as there are several wonderful posters there that may be able to give you specific tips and help. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Sorry about your mom - lost both my parents to cancer 4 months apart in '05 - we did at home hospice, so I know how important those last few months can be.

Do what everyone says - call your TA or RCCL - contact special needs. But you should probably also get a letter from her doctor clearing her medically to sail - otherwise they might take issue with letting her board.

Thanks for your reply. No, the insurance we have doesn't cover pre-existing conditions as the trip was planned last fall when we learned of her condition. If for some reason she cannot go, then it will help. Since we are also traveling with my husband and 3 boys, if she can't go and we do, we won't lose much as the third person in much cheaper. I think we probably only have her for another couple of months. She was stage 4 last fall. She so badly wants to go. Until now she's been a 76 yr old going on 40 (energy wise).

My thoughts are with you and your family. I wanted to tell you that RCCL has GREAT beach wheelchairs on CocoCay--one of their private islands. If your mom is up for it, and there is a private island on the itinerary, their wheelchairs are some of the easiest to maneuver. Hope you have a memorable trip.

Praying for your family and your mother. You mentioned she wants to go and her doctors says she should go, so if all goes as planned, remember the memories of the family time together will be very special in the future. Make your preperations and then enjoy.

One thing that comes to my mind (my mother suffers from chronic medical conditions) - speak with her doctors to make sure that any of her meds will not make her more sensative to the sun. My mother received a fairly serious sunburn once while visiting me in Arizona because her meds made her more sensative.

If you are looking at staying in contact with her while on the ship, I have read about the phones that are available for rent on the ship. I know that they go fast, but given the circumstances, maybe the special needs department can assist with giving you 2 to use while on ship.

Deb

I hope that all goes well for your vacation and that she feels great the whole week. As to the cell phone question: The cruise line has Dect Phones that you use just for the ship if you are just wanting to keep in touch with only your family on board. We used them and they were lifesavers in keeping up with everyone. You have to go to the Pursers desk very quickly to get them when you get on board before they are gone and they cost $25.00 for one phone for the week. Blessings.

I am praying for you and your family. I have no knowledge of the special needs department so I can be of no help on that issue. There are many things you can do to make your trip as well as her trip more special. Those memories will last forever. Also, maybe you can book a specialty restaurant just for mother daugther bonding. I am not sure if she wears or likes make up, but maybe on the ship book a make-up application or something in the spa to do together before formal dinner. I am sure a lot of people on these boards will have great ideas for you.

Welcome to CC.

I think that it's wonderful that your mother has the mental capacity and attitude to do a cruise!!

Keep the faith...........and start showing her pictures of what her experience is all about. Let her live the cruise before she gets aboard!!

My prayers are out to you.......and that God allows you mother the experience of the cruise. What a blessing that would be.

I have not experienced cancer. My father died of it in 1967. My sisted died of it 3 years ago........and my brother died of it last year. I'm the last surviving family member of our generation. It's brutal......and we don't know half of the problems......of the how, where and when it will attack.

Last year.........my brother, who was sick, but still able to function took a cruise that left Asia, to Dubai, then thru the canal to Barcelona.....where he really started feeling weak........and was flown to a hospital in London.

The rest was some sort of nightmere. It had to do with insurance. Instead of allowing him to fly home on an Air Ambulance, the insurance stuck him on a British Air.....bed in first class.......with no nurse.......and he almost died during the flight.

Make sure that you have the proper insurance to take care of your mother. That is of the utmost importance.

We are all but a grain of sand of the universe........but trying times take trying measures. God bless you!!

Rick

Archived