First timer with urgent questions

first1

I posted this elsewhere but a few have recommended I post here as well.

My mother's cancer has now advanced to her brain. Our cruise is in 16 days. Doctors are recommending she go and plan to provide her with a pain-free experience. Has anyone traveled with a sick relative? What's the medical care like? Do they have wheelchairs? Any thoughts on "special" experiences I can request? She is a former missionary who doesn't ask for anything for herself and this may easily be our last visit with her. Is there a way to expedite her boarding/disembarking?

You did not say what cruise line and where your going. They have wheelchairs on board that you can use. They are the old blue and chrome tanks. They don't normally let you take them off the ship. I would rent a light manual chair with a nice cushion and make sure it fits. You can rent it at home and gate check it free.[ That will get her priority boarding on the plane. Call the airline ahead of time. When you get to the ship they have a separate line for wheelchair users. Same thing when you disembark. I wish you and your mother and family the best of luck. If you want more info ***** the ship and accessible pots and excursion just reply with the info.

I posted this elsewhere but a few have recommended I post here as well.

My mother's cancer has now advanced to her brain. Our cruise is in 16 days. Doctors are recommending she go and plan to provide her with a pain-free experience. Has anyone traveled with a sick relative? What's the medical care like? Do they have wheelchairs? Any thoughts on "special" experiences I can request? She is a former missionary who doesn't ask for anything for herself and this may easily be our last visit with her. Is there a way to expedite her boarding/disembarking?

Definitely rent or borrow a wheelchair for her exclusive use, from the time you leave home until you return. Make sure your airline knows that she is using a wheelchair -- they will meet you at the ticket counter and push her chair, help her (and you) get through security and to the gate, and then help her get on and off the plane.

Depending on how long your flight is, you may want to "gate check" her chair -- that way they will help your mother get on the plane, then put her chair in the luggage area of the plane right in front. Then about 30 minutes before you arrive at your destination, you should tell the flight attendant that the chair is "gate checked" -- then they'll bring it right up to the door of the plane and have it ready once you've landed.

Generally folks who use wheelchairs will be first on the plane..but last off.

Let the cruise line know that she is coming in a wheelchair. They will make sure to meet you at the base of the ship and help you on board. Presumably you have not booked a handicap-accessible cabin -- you might call the cruise company, tell them the circumstances, and see if by chance a handicap cabin might be available -- it will be easier for your mother if there is one.

Otherwise, if you make sure to rent a foldable (collapsible) wheelchair, it should fit into the cabin, assuming your motehr is able to walk into the cabin herself. I'm guessing you'll be available to wheel her around the ship. gEnerally the folks on the ship are very helpful and accommodating to someone in a wheelchair, so she will be well treated once she is aboard.

Medical care on the ship is expensive and not all that reliable. I recommend you meet with her doctors in advance and be clear about what care they recommend for your mother, and be able to provide it yourself as much as possible. And of course be sure to take along their phone numbers and how they can be reached should there be some emergency on board. I wouldn't rely at all on the ships doctors to really know how to care for your mother in her situation.

I'm very sorry you're in this situation. My best regards to you and your family. I hope you have a pleasant trip, despite the painful circumstances.

It would not hurt to take a summary of her medical history, including all the medications that she is taking, this is for just in case something does happen, that way the physican on the ship will have a better understanding of what is going on with her. I will keep you and your mother in my prayers and will pray that the both of you have a very enjoyable cruise together.

Just enjoy your cruise!

Everyone has made some great points so far.

Every class of the RCI fleet has different amenities to assist disabled passengers so that they may enjoy their cruise. Glad you are taking the time to get some questions answered before you head out.

I worked for RCI for 4 years aboard ships as well as cruise yearly and have been on every class. I travel with my partner who has progressive MS who travels in a wheel chair. So we have experienced the ups and downs.

Each ship has a nice hospital available for emergencies. Be prepared to pay some hefty costs for their use. They will however do some general things for free. Store meds that need refrigeration, handle oxygen needs on board. They usually have 2 nurses and one doctor on board and are available 24 hours a day. Keep in mind that the hours of normal operation are limited daily. High lite those in your cruise compass daily.

Your Cabin: Hopefully you have a handicap accessible cabin. They are the size of a Junior suite on every class of RCI. Great for storage and ease of getting around with a wheel chair in the cabin. Not to mention getting in and out of bed and into the shower area. Every ship has a small supply of shower chairs and walkers for bathrooms that you can call customer relations desk and get. Your room steward may get these for you as well.

Doorways of Cabins: Most cabin doors are narrow. Even too narrow for a non collapsible wheel chair to fit through. The bathroom in most cabins are also narrow and require a step up about 6" to 12" to get into. Handicap rooms you roll in into and have a 5' turning radious.

Here is another note: Move the furniture around the cabin how it makes ease of navigating the most useful to you! It all moves except for the desk area. This is especially good if you have a regular cabin.

The wheel chair: Do rent one before you leave. Ensure it fits the person using it. Ensure its light, has handles for pushing, brakes that lock and unlock easily for the user. Collapsible for ease of storage.

Getting around the ports and ship: All US ports have outfitted themselves with ADA standards for people using wheelchairs. Be prepared for the lack of help in some ports. Most will help you and don't be afraid to ask for help each and every step of the way. 9 times out of 10 you just need to know where to go or how to get where you are going with the wheel chair.

I can't stress this hard enough. Travel as light as you possibly can. I'll get more into this in a minute.

When getting onto the ship be prepared for some OMG moments. Steep gangways and lips to get over. With the tides and levels of the ship to the pier, the angle of the ramp will be different. In all cases, the most safest way to get on the ship is to push up to the top of the ramp and then simply turn the chair around and back the wheel chair onto the ship. This is also true when going through doorways with the small ramps. You'd be surprised how many times the feet get caught when going over the ramp forward and out falls the person in the chair. Think safety every time.

RCI ships now have a new feature for tendering. A great wheel chair lift that lowers the chair and guest to a lower platform that allows the guest to roll right onto the tender from the ship. However, getting off the tender onto the shore side dock may require them to lift the guest off the tender to the dock and then again up to the shore side, depending if there are steps. Each country and port outside the US will have obstacles. Don't let them keep you on the ship. You will enjoy the port just attempt it. We have found that 9 out of 10 times it was easier than we had expected and were glad we did!

Getting around the ship: All the ships are easy to get around. The only hard places to get around are the theater areas. The accessible seating is still nice with no visual sightline problems. Here is a nice side note: You can get to the front row with some small planning. Sovereign class has no stairs to get there. Vision class has an elevator - ask a waiter to help you get to it. Radiance class has both the elevator and a passage way on deck 3 forward. You can roll right in - again ask a waiter to show you the way. Voyager and Freedom class both have elevator and hallways you can get to the front row areas. As for the when they do the ice shows, you can only get to the top rows. But when they do some parties in those lounges you can access them in the chair. Ask a waiter or staff member on how to get down to the floor area. It is very easy! Besides, you get a little behind the scenes tour as well!

All dining rooms and restaurants are accessible as well as the spa areas. Although some spa area's are a little tight.

Restrooms are everywhere. So are accessible ones. Side note: don't assume that because it is on the map that the restroom is accessible or working. Do yourself a favor and walk into them even in passing so IF you need to go quick you'll know that you can get there and quick.

Traveling and packing: Be prepared! Some airlines are now charging to stow that wheel chair or extra luggage. Pack lite!!

Ensure you get one small rolling piece of luggage for your carry on stuff like Medications and travel documents. Here is one thing I see all too often. People trying to maneuver a wheel chair with bags and purses that are strapped over your shoulder. They are great if you can wear them like a back pack only and I would advise to get one if you are pushing the chair.

If you have a direct flight, check every piece of luggage you can. The less you have to carry through the airport and security the easier your trip will be. But if you have to change planes... pack that small roiling luggage with a day or two of extra clothes along with that back pack with your meds and documents in. You'll be happy you did should the airline loose your luggage. When you get to the port. Take the extra change items you want or need out of your roller luggage and place them in the back pack, then let the cruise line deliver your bags to your stateroom. You'll be glad you did when getting on the ship. Expect an hour to a few hours before the bags arrive at your door to the stateroom. This is why I say carry the clothes or items you must have with you.

Liquid items!!! ALERT! You can't carry them onto planes in large quantities, but you can safely store them in your luggage that you check in. Just plan and pack them right in your luggage.

Dietary needs: Ask the waiter to assist you in recommending items that will fit your dietary needs. If you get nowhere with them, ask the Head Waiter or maitre Dee. You will get what you want. You’d be surprised what they can get you when you ask.

This all may seem a bit much. Just remember to plan your day for what YOU want to do.

We cruise because we know that as far as accessibility, we know we can do just about anything we want on a cruise. There are so few limitations on a cruise and we get our monies worth on a cruise traveling with a disability!

Happy cruising!!

• 3 weeks later...

GREAT SUGGESTIONS!

We have cruised twice with my Dad and rented a wheelchair. He can certainly walk on his own, he just can't stand for long periods or walk long distances... as he's 88 years old. We found the Carnival employees to be very helpful and getting off and on the ship was never a problem. (always someone there to push him up those long steep ramps).

Is there another company, other than CareVacations, to rent from in the Tampa area? We have another cruise coming up and would love to "shop prices".

dd's mom

What wonderful suggestions. I see the original post was on Aug 7th and the cruise has already happened. I hope the OP will return and tell us how the trip went for them. I hope her mother was able to enjoy the cruise.

Just enjoy your cruise!

Everyone has made some great points so far.

Every class of the RCI fleet has different amenities to assist disabled passengers so that they may enjoy their cruise. Glad you are taking the time to get some questions answered before you head out.

I worked for RCI for 4 years aboard ships as well as cruise yearly and have been on every class. I travel with my partner who has progressive MS who travels in a wheel chair. So we have experienced the ups and downs.

Each ship has a nice hospital available for emergencies. Be prepared to pay some hefty costs for their use. They will however do some general things for free. Store meds that need refrigeration, handle oxygen needs on board. They usually have 2 nurses and one doctor on board and are available 24 hours a day. Keep in mind that the hours of normal operation are limited daily. High lite those in your cruise compass daily.

Your Cabin: Hopefully you have a handicap accessible cabin. They are the size of a Junior suite on every class of RCI. Great for storage and ease of getting around with a wheel chair in the cabin. Not to mention getting in and out of bed and into the shower area. Every ship has a small supply of shower chairs and walkers for bathrooms that you can call customer relations desk and get. Your room steward may get these for you as well.

Doorways of Cabins: Most cabin doors are narrow. Even too narrow for a non collapsible wheel chair to fit through. The bathroom in most cabins are also narrow and require a step up about 6" to 12" to get into. Handicap rooms you roll in into and have a 5' turning radious.

Here is another note: Move the furniture around the cabin how it makes ease of navigating the most useful to you! It all moves except for the desk area. This is especially good if you have a regular cabin.

The wheel chair: Do rent one before you leave. Ensure it fits the person using it. Ensure its light, has handles for pushing, brakes that lock and unlock easily for the user. Collapsible for ease of storage.

Getting around the ports and ship: All US ports have outfitted themselves with ADA standards for people using wheelchairs. Be prepared for the lack of help in some ports. Most will help you and don't be afraid to ask for help each and every step of the way. 9 times out of 10 you just need to know where to go or how to get where you are going with the wheel chair.

I can't stress this hard enough. Travel as light as you possibly can. I'll get more into this in a minute.

When getting onto the ship be prepared for some OMG moments. Steep gangways and lips to get over. With the tides and levels of the ship to the pier, the angle of the ramp will be different. In all cases, the most safest way to get on the ship is to push up to the top of the ramp and then simply turn the chair around and back the wheel chair onto the ship. This is also true when going through doorways with the small ramps. You'd be surprised how many times the feet get caught when going over the ramp forward and out falls the person in the chair. Think safety every time.

RCI ships now have a new feature for tendering. A great wheel chair lift that lowers the chair and guest to a lower platform that allows the guest to roll right onto the tender from the ship. However, getting off the tender onto the shore side dock may require them to lift the guest off the tender to the dock and then again up to the shore side, depending if there are steps. Each country and port outside the US will have obstacles. Don't let them keep you on the ship. You will enjoy the port just attempt it. We have found that 9 out of 10 times it was easier than we had expected and were glad we did!

Getting around the ship: All the ships are easy to get around. The only hard places to get around are the theater areas. The accessible seating is still nice with no visual sightline problems. Here is a nice side note: You can get to the front row with some small planning. Sovereign class has no stairs to get there. Vision class has an elevator - ask a waiter to help you get to it. Radiance class has both the elevator and a passage way on deck 3 forward. You can roll right in - again ask a waiter to show you the way. Voyager and Freedom class both have elevator and hallways you can get to the front row areas. As for the when they do the ice shows, you can only get to the top rows. But when they do some parties in those lounges you can access them in the chair. Ask a waiter or staff member on how to get down to the floor area. It is very easy! Besides, you get a little behind the scenes tour as well!

All dining rooms and restaurants are accessible as well as the spa areas. Although some spa area's are a little tight.

Restrooms are everywhere. So are accessible ones. Side note: don't assume that because it is on the map that the restroom is accessible or working. Do yourself a favor and walk into them even in passing so IF you need to go quick you'll know that you can get there and quick.

Traveling and packing: Be prepared! Some airlines are now charging to stow that wheel chair or extra luggage. Pack lite!!

Ensure you get one small rolling piece of luggage for your carry on stuff like Medications and travel documents. Here is one thing I see all too often. People trying to maneuver a wheel chair with bags and purses that are strapped over your shoulder. They are great if you can wear them like a back pack only and I would advise to get one if you are pushing the chair.

If you have a direct flight, check every piece of luggage you can. The less you have to carry through the airport and security the easier your trip will be. But if you have to change planes... pack that small roiling luggage with a day or two of extra clothes along with that back pack with your meds and documents in. You'll be happy you did should the airline loose your luggage. When you get to the port. Take the extra change items you want or need out of your roller luggage and place them in the back pack, then let the cruise line deliver your bags to your stateroom. You'll be glad you did when getting on the ship. Expect an hour to a few hours before the bags arrive at your door to the stateroom. This is why I say carry the clothes or items you must have with you.

Liquid items!!! ALERT! You can't carry them onto planes in large quantities, but you can safely store them in your luggage that you check in. Just plan and pack them right in your luggage.

Dietary needs: Ask the waiter to assist you in recommending items that will fit your dietary needs. If you get nowhere with them, ask the Head Waiter or maitre Dee. You will get what you want. You’d be surprised what they can get you when you ask.

This all may seem a bit much. Just remember to plan your day for what YOU want to do.

We cruise because we know that as far as accessibility, we know we can do just about anything we want on a cruise. There are so few limitations on a cruise and we get our monies worth on a cruise traveling with a disability!

Happy cruising!!

WOW thanks for all that info!:D

Archived