Spa Pass

antmilant

If you buy a spa pass, what exactly does that entitle you to. I'll be on the Spirit and I'm kicking around the idea. Thank you

I can tell you about the Pearl. We just returned from Alaska last week. Frankly, the spa pass ($75 pp for the week) was the single best value on the ship. It gives you unlimited access to a unisex spa area, which includes a large hydrotherapy pool, a hot tub, half dozen heated loungers, and padded lounge chairs that look out over the bow of the ship. You also have access to his and hers spa areas which include a wet sauna, dry sauna and individual therapy baths. The best part...it was often close to empty. So you get Peace and Quiet. And a spectacular view. My DH and I used it often. It was especially great to soak in the hydotherapy pool after an excursion or before bed.

You should also know that my DH originally thought he wouldn't use the spa, and didn't want a pass for himself. I talked him into getting the pass, and he is STILL thanking me for it.

How do you buy the Spa Pass? After you are onboard in the spa area?

Yup. Go on the first day as they theoretically have a limited number of passes. Not sure if they sell out very often but better safe than sorry. If you like the spa, the pass is definitely a good idea. My wife and I went every single day on the Jewel, and it was almost always empty, and peaceful, and quiet, and you get the idea.

This was the best money my dh and I spent on the ship. We both got the spa pass. I went there everyday. Sometimes twice a day. I think the most people I ever saw in there with me was 6. The lounge chairs are in the back overlooking the wake. I soaked in the pool and then read my book looking out over the beautiful ocean. It was very relaxing. Sometimes on the Dawn on the July 6th cruise to Bermuda, you needed quiet time.:D :D

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be on the Pearl next week and were wondering what else is included as well. Do the weekly passes include any massages?

The passes, which are also sold by the day, don't include any massages. The passes are discounted if you purchase them for the length of the cruise.

Also, they allow you to use the spa pool area free for awhile before/after you have a massage or another fee service scheduled/booked.

I can tell you about the Pearl. We just returned from Alaska last week. Frankly, the spa pass ($75 pp for the week) was the single best value on the ship. It gives you unlimited access to a unisex spa area, which includes a large hydrotherapy pool, a hot tub, half dozen heated loungers, and padded lounge chairs that look out over the bow of the ship. You also have access to his and hers spa areas which include a wet sauna, dry sauna and individual therapy baths. The best part...it was often close to empty. So you get Peace and Quiet. And a spectacular view. My DH and I used it often. It was especially great to soak in the hydotherapy pool after an excursion or before bed.

You should also know that my DH originally thought he wouldn't use the spa, and didn't want a pass for himself. I talked him into getting the pass, and he is STILL thanking me for it.

I will be cruising the Pearl in Sept. with my parents as their health is a bit challenging but they've always wanted to do this cruise, so I am going as their caretaker.( My DH is unable to make this cruise. My parents wont be using the spa but I find it very appealing after reading your post. Is it a place for couples or would I fit in being there by myself? I would love the solitude after they get to the cabin and they might like a bit of privacy too while I'm away.

Thanks, jannyb

If you buy a spa pass, what exactly does that entitle you to. I'll be on the Spirit and I'm kicking around the idea. Thank you

There was no charge earlier this year. The spa on the Spirit is not like the one on the Jewel/Pearl, it is a basic spa, no loungers, not much extra, there is the indoor pool, I used it, but there was no charge.

HoopTroop

I will be cruising the Pearl in Sept. with my parents as their health is a bit challenging but they've always wanted to do this cruise, so I am going as their caretaker.( My DH is unable to make this cruise. My parents wont be using the spa but I find it very appealing after reading your post. Is it a place for couples or would I fit in being there by myself? I would love the solitude after they get to the cabin and they might like a bit of privacy too while I'm away.

Thanks, jannyb

I've seen more singles than couples in the spa pool area. I've been in the spa area many times when no one else is around at all, it's so peaceful. I'm not sure how late the spa pool area stays open....I'm guessing 9 or 10 pm but I'm not sure. There is a great shower area, which is an asset when your sharing a cabin.

I've seen more singles than couples in the spa pool area. I've been in the spa area many times when no one else is around at all, it's so peaceful. I'm not sure how late the spa pool area stays open....I'm guessing 9 or 10 pm but I'm not sure. There is a great shower area, which is an asset when your sharing a cabin.

You convinced me to check it out! jannyb

Thanks, jannyb

Hi again jannyb,

Rest assured, a single spa user wouldn't feel out of place at all. In fact, on the Pearl, there is a whole section that is for woman only, and another section that is for men only. So in the unlikely event that the uni-sex area (the area with the heated loungers and big therapy pool) was only lovey-dovey couples, you could always relax in the woman's only section. In fact, when I didn't use the spa with my DH, I really preferred the woman's section. There is a fabulous dry sauna with panoramic views, and individual therapy tubs, in this section. Enjoy!

Hi again jannyb,

Rest assured, a single spa user wouldn't feel out of place at all. In fact, on the Pearl, there is a whole section that is for woman only, and another section that is for men only. So in the unlikely event that the uni-sex area (the area with the heated loungers and big therapy pool) was only lovey-dovey couples, you could always relax in the woman's only section. In fact, when I didn't use the spa with my DH, I really preferred the woman's section. There is a fabulous dry sauna with panoramic views, and individual therapy tubs, in this section. Enjoy!

...just what the doctor ordered! Thanks Belltown! jannyb

We had a pass on the Star and loved every minute of it.

The spa closed at 8pm on sea days and 10pm on port days. The Star had a nice indoor, adults only, lap pool, but I don't think the Pearl has a pool.

The times are a great piece of info. Thanks, jannyb

Best part is that it is no kids. I love children, but it was great to have a peaceful kid-free part of the ship. Two little girls came into the spa area "looking for their moms" while we were there and one of my sisters immediately complained to the spa manager and they were taken out.

Viv

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, i will be on the pearl , going solo, ( the first time on ncl ) and am so glad i found this thread about the spa pass. i am being very careful this cruise with my added expenses on the ship but this sounds perfect for me. i want to lounge in a heated pool/hot-tub and really relax on the sea and port days. i would like to know if you can have a drink while you are in the pools or hot-tubs. a nice glass of wine would add to the special pampering for me. also can anyone tell me some of the spa prices--massages and such. thanks so much. and anymore info on the spa pass would be welcome.

Is the spa pass linked to your card, or do you get some other form of pass?

Yes, they put a sticker on your regular card. The charge is also in the system so if your sticker comes off, they will replace it. (At least that's the way on the Pearl last year.)

Does anyone know if they have this on the Gem?

Yes, they do. It's the same on all Jewell-class ships.

Archived