Those who rented a car & drove to Emerald Lake

brunolvr

Just wondering if anyone who rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake this year stopped and ate at The Cinnamon Cache Bakery & Coffee Shop.

I remember reading a few years ago about the great food there, then because of the death of the owner, BoBo, it was closed for a few years and just reopened this year. http://www.yukonalaska.com/buns/

We stopped there. Sandwiches were okay. Cinnamon rolls were good. My husband loved the soup (I can't remember what it was that day.) The ladies were very, very nice. They made PB & J sandwiches for my kids. Thought it was a little pricey, but we were in the middle of nowhere :-)

Looks like it won't be open when we drive up there 5/31/09. Does anyone know if Spirit Lake Lodge is open for food on Sundays at that time of year?

The Cinnamon Cache will be open when you get here - Gail was just late getting everything ready this year. Spirit Lake Lodge is open on Sundays as well.

Can someone give me the directions to the Avis Car Rental from the ship in Skagway? Will we need to take a taxi? Thank you,

Sharon

Can anyone give me directions from the Avis Car Office to where I take the Glacier Helicopter Ride from Temsco Helicopters. We are dropping the car off and then heading over to take our Helicopter ride. How much time do you think we will need to walk to the Temsco Helicopter after we drop off the rental car? Thanks for any help!

Can anyone give me directions from the Avis Car Office to where I take the Glacier Helicopter Ride from Temsco Helicopters. We are dropping the car off and then heading over to take our Helicopter ride. How much time do you think we will need to walk to the Temsco Helicopter after we drop off the rental car? Thanks for any help!

Take a look at the Skagway map Yukon referred to

http://skagway.com/citymap.html

and Temsco is located between the Ore Dock & Taiya Inlet--allow about 10 to 15 minutes to return your car, then it's about a 10 to 15 minute walk to Temsco.

We are just back from our cruise and booked our car at Avis. It is an easy walk from the ship at any of the ports. They open at 8am and I was there first. Mon. is not a real busy day for them. We drove to Emerald Lake and the drive was sooooo lovely. The little town of Carcross is very quaint and we had our passports stamped there. A word of warning about the food sitaution. We were very disappointed in the area called "Caribou Crossing". Quite a tourist trap as far as we could tell. Not much in the way of food there and the little cafe there although there were not many people around, she did not have time to fix any sandwiches or hot dogs.

Spirit Lake is open and be prepared for the $$$$$ food. It is very good and worth the wait to get there. We had 2 soups, a grilled cheese, a hamburger and 3 cokes for about $50 +. You really do not have much choice on this journey. I would suggest a picnic lunch before you leave Skagway.

We were not fortunate enough to see any wildlife on our drive.

The Avis website. I found the hours and phone number; had to give them a call to see when I'd be able to book for next summer!

Hi, Jenbo57! What did Avis in Skagway say about booking for next summer? We may be doing that drive again when we're in Skagway on June 3rd of next year.

Hi, Jenbo57! What did Avis in Skagway say about booking for next summer? We may be doing that drive again when we're in Skagway on June 3rd of next year.

The Skagway Avis office will close for the season on September 20th, at which point they'll set prices for next season. The gal I spoke with said to check online in October; we should be able to reserve a car then. She said they have anywhere from 30 - 50 cars available at any one time, with Wednesday being their busiest day (and of course that's the day we'll be there)!

I'm really looking forward to driving up to Emerald Lake. In photos it looks very similar to a lot of the lakes in the North Cascades, but should be a beautiful drive anyway!

Where were Montana Services???? I must have misssed that.

That's the gas station, RV park, convenience store and cafe right at Carcross. A new operator took over the cafe August 1st - haven't tried his food yet.

The Skagway Avis office will close for the season on September 20th, at which point they'll set prices for next season. The gal I spoke with said to check online in October; we should be able to reserve a car then. She said they have anywhere from 30 - 50 cars available at any one time, with Wednesday being their busiest day (and of course that's the day we'll be there)!

I'm really looking forward to driving up to Emerald Lake. In photos it looks very similar to a lot of the lakes in the North Cascades, but should be a beautiful drive anyway!

Thanks for the info. We will be in Skagway on a Thursday next year and can't wait to make that drive again :D

Archived